Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, B-girl FINALLY gave the go ahead to buy an lcd tv:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

but, of course, I need a wee bit of help with this hoss.

We watched a dvd and the picture kinda sucked. I bought an S-video cable and that fixed the problem there.

We also got the HD receiver from the cable company with the dvr built in. But the muther truckin' picture pretty well is suxxor city.:mad:

Cartoons look great but most TV shows color is off or the picture has a bit of a weird quality to it. i have played with the settings and am unable to get a consistent picture across all channels.

Am i doing it wrong or what?
 

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
Joined
·
222 Posts
you should go with component cables, or ideally a HDMI cable.

S video Does not support HiDef or even "enhanced Def 480P"
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
teh moreon said:
Ok, B-girl FINALLY gave the go ahead to buy an lcd tv:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

but, of course, I need a wee bit of help with this hoss.

We watched a dvd and the picture kinda sucked. I bought an S-video cable and that fixed the problem there.

We also got the HD receiver from the cable company with the dvr built in. But the muther truckin' picture pretty well is suxxor city.:mad:

Cartoons look great but most TV shows color is off or the picture has a bit of a weird quality to it. i have played with the settings and am unable to get a consistent picture across all channels.

Am i doing it wrong or what?
This is reason # 10001 on why I'm not "upgrading" to a new TV yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Make sure you have HD cables. S-video won't get the job done for HD but it prolly makes a standard (read non-HD) DVD look better. After I hooked up the HD receiver to my LCD TV with the right cables I nearly crapped myself with how good the picture looked.
 

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
Joined
·
27,035 Posts
Are the shows you're watching in HD? Most non-HD things look like crap on an LCD.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,916 Posts
what kind did you get?, does it have a receiver built in too?....if it does, throw an antennae (rabbit ears will work) on it and see what you get
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Are the shows you're watching in HD? Most non-HD things look like crap on an LCD.
Worse than an old school TV even? Why is the govt pushing this whoel digital TV thing again?:cryin:
 

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
Joined
·
30,945 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Worse than an old school TV even? Why is the govt pushing this whoel digital TV thing again?:cryin:
"Economic Stimulus".
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,916 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Worse than an old school TV even? Why is the govt pushing this whoel digital TV thing again?:cryin:
because they are selling to old TV bandwidth to the cell-phone companies .....economic stimulus my a$$
 

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jaegermeister269 said:
you should go with component cables, or ideally a HDMI cable.

S video Does not support HiDef or even "enhanced Def 480P"
I have a Samsung dvd player/surround system. i don't believe it accepts HDMI cables.
Would use component cables instead? suggestion?
 

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
Joined
·
222 Posts

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
Joined
·
222 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,916 Posts
I think component video is above s-vid on the food chain....I could be wrong but I think it is
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,916 Posts
does the cable box/receiver have hdmi?....I will assume the TV does
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
i recently got a 42" 720 plasma.
for watching tv through my dvr & recorded stuff from my dvr's, I get best picture quality with digital component video cables, not s-video or hdmi. YMMV. For some reason, the picture is very different than with hdmi. The digital cables are made to better spec & run $15-20 at costco/walmar/sams club... waay more at bestbuy, go figure.
But, hdmi cable seems to give me better picture with commercial dvd's.

there's a sh1tton of info on all this sort of stuff over at the AVS forums... that's where I went when looking for info on why my PQ was funky when watching through the DVR, I just had it going through HDMI.
Search for your tv model & dvr model to see what you get.
 

·
Alien Musician
Joined
·
4,537 Posts
um:

-does your dvd player have an upconverting hdmi output on it?
-if it doesn't, the picture won't look very good.
-get one that does.

-you will find there is a "pecking order" in terms of how good things will look.

-more in a bit.
 

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
aliensporebomb said:
um:

-does your dvd player have an upconverting hdmi output on it?
-if it doesn't, the picture won't look very good.
-get one that does.

-you will find there is a "pecking order" in terms of how good things will look.

-more in a bit.
The dvd picture is pretty good. it's the tv programming pic that is not so bueno. The HD receiver from the cable compnay has hdmi cabling but the picture is inconsistent channel to channel.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,916 Posts
do you have a set of component laying around? maybe swap the hdmi for component just to see?

sounds to me like the problem is with the cable companies receiver not the tv
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,916 Posts
cancel cable, save some money....get a rooftop antenna.....
 

·
sometimereader
Joined
·
1,202 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Are the shows you're watching in HD? Most non-HD things look like crap on an LCD.
That's not the case on my Sony Bravia. If the signal was digital, it shows up great on the TV.

Perhaps you mean that analog signals might display poorly on HDTVs? That definitely is the case on my system. But it doesn't have to be that way - with a good enough tuner and A-D conversion, the picture could be quite good. I suspect, however, that most TV makers don't want to spend on making this work well.

What irritates me more is the poor usage of the screen for different formats. I don't want any screwing with the aspect ratio of the source - so, no stretching of the pic to fit the wide screen please. But I would like the TV to fill the most restrictive dimension - no letter box in the middle of the screen. And no overflow of the edges off the screen.

My Bravia does not do well on that issue.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top