Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever use this stuff? i got some on a recommendation from branford bike and loved it as i was putting it in my hubs. (if you haven't used it, it has about the same consistency as frosting.) but i have noticed that there is definitely more resistance (the wheels doesn't spin near as long before stopping) in the wheels post-rebuild...i'm assuming due to the really thick grease. does this stuff thin out over time? is the increased resistance worth it because the stuff works so well? will i even notice the difference on the road (it's still winter here!)? would something thinner work just as well (i.e. is this overkill)?

thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
And the can of worms is open...
From the description, this sounds an awful lot like the Quaker State marine grease with teflon I use in my training wheels, and as assembly lube. It's very thick, white, and smells like dead dinosaurs.
It does add noticeable amounts of friction at first, but this is should smooth out as grease migrates away from the bearings. Don't worry, it's tacky enough that the races and balls will be protected, but the bulk of the grease will move out of the way. Plus, cold temps thicken most greases, so warmer weather will help.
Thicker greases, especially the "waterproof" variety, will help protect your bearings in nasty weather. Waterproof means the thickening agents won't absorb water, or at least not as quickly. It also makes assembly of loose ball systems much easier.
I'm of mixed feelings on viscosity making a difference in rolling resistance, though. On one hand, it definitely slows a spinning wheel faster if there's thicker grease in the bearings. However, a freely spinning wheel is different than one under the weight of a rider and bike. In any case, the energy dissipated can't be that large, or you'd notice warm hubs after a ride - the energy has to go somewhere, and would be heat in this case. 1W over an hour-long ride would definitely raise your hub's temperature enough to be noticed.
So, I guess the answer is, it's probably not slowing you down, and is prolonging the life of your components, but if you're worried about it, or highly competitive, grease is cheap and easy to replace. I like Quaker State wheel bearing grease, as it's very thin, EPX Gold grease (from the Prolink people) as it starts thick but thins out quickly, and has the same friction-reducing additives as Prolink, or the greases offered by www.oddsandendos.com for American Classic hub maintenance. They aren't as tacky as others, and are very thin, meaning your hubs would spin for a long, long time, but will want to be rebuilt more often.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My favorite grease so far for hubs is Shimano Dura-Ace grease aka Spin Doctor grease (the fluorescent green stuff).

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
my take on grease..

I think grease is just grease. I can't see making a special grease just for a bicycle. It's probably the same stuff they use for automobiles and package it smaller and sell it for 4 times the price. I just picked up some Sta-Lube Mutli Purpose water resistant lithium based grease at a auto parts store. It's white in color. I forget how much it cost, $3.00-$4.00 for 14oz. Before I was using a synthetic grease, but it was expensive, $11.00 for 12oz. It would be interesting to compare bicycle grease and grease for autos and compare the difference.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I'm w/Dino: Lifetime supply of marine grease, $5

Probably 15 years ago I read that Gary Fisher was shipping 55-gallon drums of Sta-Lube boat trailer wheel bearing grease to Japan so his mountain bikes could be assembled with it. I bought a one-pound can for about three dollars, and I've used it for everything I've greased since then except seat posts and the elastomers on my old Rock Shox Q21R. Never a bearing problem ever, stuff looks like new when I take it apart and I still had half the grease left last year when I lost the lid and some crud blew into the can. I bought a new one for five bucks and I'm set for life.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I guess in a sense you could say there's no such thing as bicycle grease. However, grease isn't just grease. Certain applications demand a specific grease to perform optimally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts