Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· I Am a Meat Popsicle
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my first bike from scratch, Using a full Ultegra 9 speed gruppo. Trying to choose between Leader 717, Leader 736, or Scatante XRL framssets. I will be using a Reynolds ouzo carbon fork and ultegra hubs with mavic open pro rims. I mostly just do 40 or so miles 3 times a week with a 60-75 miler thrown in every once in a while, but do want to consider possibly some beginner racing.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
1,350 Posts
I bought a Leader 717 to build up a bike for my daughter. The frame and fork are nicely detailed and finished and it built up easily to a nice bike. I've ridden it around the block, but it is really much too small for me to comment on the ride. It's a sturdy well made Al frame at a great price though.

· Registered
214 Posts
Just got the Scattante XRL Comp and it seems pretty good. It's actually much better than I expected. I've heard good things about the Leader frames. Is it possible to get the Scattante without a fork?

· I Am a Meat Popsicle
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the XRL's come with the fork and headset from what I've seen, but for the price of the frame, I can easily upgrade the fork if necessary. How many miles do you have on yours? I'm more of a clydesdale (6'0 210lbs) and need something decently stiff.

· Registered
214 Posts
I'm big, too big - 6'2" 220lbs. Hope to get back down to around 200 real soon. I just got it completely put together and only have about 10 miles on it. It feels nice and stiff, espcially when cranking out of the saddle. The carbon fork seems pretty good too. I run 25mm tires to take a little more edge off. There are pictures in the thread I wrote a while back, just look down the list a little.

· RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
I was going back and forth between the same frames and ended up with the XRL. Built it up with full Ultegra 10 and it looks great. Ride is stiff as expected but not overly harsh. I weigh 150# and have the 54cm frame. It has already made the ride up Palomar and handled beautifully coming back down the switchbacks. I am in San Diego so thought I might be able to pick up a Leader at the warehouse but they never got back to me on that one. I think the main reason I stayed away from the Leader frame was their relatively short headtube. I like my bars about 2" below the saddle and would have to use a lot of spacers with that frame.

· I Am a Meat Popsicle
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
geometry??? sizing???

what about the geometry of the scatantte? Right know i ride a full size Trek 58Cm, which is truly more like a 57 from what I hear, so that should mean i should take a Large Scatantte, which is compact but says the effective top tube is 57, right?

· Registered
120 Posts
780r

I ride a leader 780r and it works well for me. My brother has a scattante that I helped him buy and it was a solid frame. I would look at the geometry more than anything first. I needed a 59-59.5 top tube and the xl eff was only 585 with ht of 202. The leader was 60 with a ht of 230. You can get the top tube where you need it with stem size but I wanted the extra height of the ht. I use this on my long distance rides and it is comfy and stable. If you can fit either I would go with the best deal. If you are a performance member you can get a 15% off coupon for this weekend and get the frame fork and headset for 169.15+tax plus your 10 % points. So 17 bucks in points. The 717 can be had for 139 plus 20 shipping, but no fork and headset. Since you already have a fork, do you need a headset? Then I would choose on which one looks better:)

Forgot to mention I was a clyde when I bought the frame at 279. I have had the frame for several years and am currently down to 196. I have 6(Cannondale, Van Dessel, Conquest, Leader, Jamis Comet and Quest) road bikes and I am actually trying to sell 3. The one with the lowest brand name (Leader) I am keeping plus I bought a backup 780 just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.