Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with this bike? I read some reviews here and was impressed. I was thinking of buying a steel bike because I want a comfortable ride. The 785 R is aluminum, but has carbon seat and chain stays, fork and seatpost. Should I expect it to be as comfortable as a reynolds 853? The bike is $2099 with the new 10 speed dura ace. I would prefer to spend less, and the people at leader bike gave me the option to buy it with ultrega instead, for $ 1500. Do you think this is a good deal? Another bike I am considering is a Jamis Eclipse, which is a combination of reynolds 853 and carbon. (I can get it for about 2000). Any input to help me decide will be welcome.

·
Roadbikereview member
192 Posts
New bike

erne said:
Is anyone familiar with this bike? I read some reviews here and was impressed. I was thinking of buying a steel bike because I want a comfortable ride. The 785 R is aluminum, but has carbon seat and chain stays, fork and seatpost. Should I expect it to be as comfortable as a reynolds 853? The bike is $2099 with the new 10 speed dura ace. I would prefer to spend less, and the people at leader bike gave me the option to buy it with ultrega instead, for $ 1500. Do you think this is a good deal? Another bike I am considering is a Jamis Eclipse, which is a combination of reynolds 853 and carbon. (I can get it for about 2000). Any input to help me decide will be welcome.
I've been looking around too, for a new frame set. I talked to a couple of eclipse riders and they love the way the bike rides and handle. Perfromance carrys Jamis bikes and they have a pretty good sale on the Eclipse, I don't remember the price but it was below 2k.
I been look at 10 different frame sets and I keep returning to the Fondriest Status Carb
made of Deda EOM 16.50 steel w/ carbon seatstays and a carbon fork for $1250.00.
Goodluck
Rick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Leader Bike

erne said:
I've been looking at Leader bike 785 as well. It seems to be a very good deal but I too would like to hear from someone that has used this frame. I'm currently riding an Alum frame bike with carbon fork and seat post. No real complaints but wanted something a bit more high end. The Dura Ace is awlful tempting but a triple crank would be nice in my area. I too was considering the Jamis Eclipse you can get some good deals on the 2003's. The other bike (but more bucks) I looked at is the Lemond Zurich. Again a steel base with carbon frame. The question is whether to go with a brand name or take a chance on Leader??

·
Registered
638 Posts
erne said:

I would not spend that much for a Leader. $1500-2000 gets you some great bike choices. If you want to go no name, you could get a Scattante Carbon Bike with Ultegra from Supergo for $1599, for $1099 you could get the Scattante 650 with easton tubes and an Ultegra/105 group. Colorado Cyclist offers the Douglas Fusion Aluminium with Carbon Stays, Ultegra and Velomax Wheels for $1599, or for $2150 you could get the same build on a Douglas Titanium/Carbon Frame. Other options at $1500 would be a Titus Drop-U, LeMond (steel or Aluminimum), Jamis, Trek, Specialized, Bianchi, etc. I guess my point would be for $1500 for an Ultegra (or even 105 bike) I would rather have a frame from a nice bike maker than the inexpensive leader frame (which is a good value for a cheap buildup).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.