In a new twist in the pro women's race, the winner of the Mt Hood Time Trial did not take over the general classification at the Mt Hood Cycling Classic.

As in previous years, Leah Goldstein (ValueAct) put in the best time, stopping the clock at 43:01 with an average speed of 24.83 mph (39.95 kmph). Best Young Rider Julie Beveridge (Aaron's) crossed the line with a time slower by seven seconds and Jeannie Longo (River City Racing) was eighteen seconds back.

"It's one of my favorite time trials, I came a few days early and I actually rode that course a few times just to know the corners and the wind not so bad like it was last year. I'm not such a daredevil, I don't take chances, I don't go into bars on corners and stuff, just because the stability on the bike because of the calm conditions just made me more confident to be more aero and tucked. I felt good from the beginning, when I woke up this morning I felt pretty good, I had a good feeling about the ride today." said Goldstein.

The 18.5 mile course started off with a flat 5 miles before the first obstacle, 2-mile (cat 3) climb up the Rowena Loops. The road gradually descended into the town of Mosier, and then back up a cat 4 climb to the Historic Mosier Tunnels, than finished off with 5 miles of rolling terrain to the finish line.

Longo missed by her start by over one minute as her bike, specifically her handle bars did not pass the UCI measurements, and she was forced to change the position. She informed that she missed her start by 1:20 which would have given her the fastest time and the lead in the overall classification.

Beveridge took over the general classification, with Goldstein slotting into second place at seven seconds back, and Longo at fifteen. GC leader Joanne Kiesanowski (Tibco) crossed the line with a time of 45:04 which moved her down to sixth place in the general classification.

In the two previous years, the winner of the time trial, Leah Goldstein, also won the overall classification. Will this be repeated this year? The answer will be known at tomorrow's stage, the queen stage where the women will cover 74 miles and 8000 feet of climbing in the Wy'East Road Race. The stage finishes off with a 35-mile, 4500-feet ascent to the summit finish at Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Resort where the final two-mile stretch to the ski resort has an average gradient of 10%, including sections that approach 12 percent.

"I think Longo is going to make it difficult, I don't know if I'll sleep well tonight, she's going to give me nightmares, that woman can do crazy things be herself, she doesn't need a team, I have to sit tight and follow other wheels right now." said Goldstein about tomorrow's stage.

Last year's stage winner, Felicia Gomez (Aaron's) jumped from a break containing Goldstein to cross the line over with one minute 23 seconds over second place. With seven women at less than two minutes gap, including Goldstein, Beveridge and her teammate Gomez, Kiesanowski, Longo and Mara Abbott riding for the composite team Discover Bicycles/Athletes for a Cure.

As with the men's race, the QOM is up for graps in the penultimate stage on Saturday.

Top 10 Stage Results
1 Leah Goldstein (Can) ValueAct Capital Cycling Team 43.01 (40.854 km/h)
2 Julie Beveridge (Can) Aaron's Professional Women's Cycling Team 0.07
3 Jeanie Longo-Ciprelli (Fra) River City Racing 0.18
4 Mara Abbott (USA) Discover Bicycles/Athletes for a Cure 0.39
5 Anne Samplonius (USA) Cheerwine Cycling 1.03
6 Beverly Harper (USA) Touchstone Climbing Cycling 1.46
7 Felicia Gomez (USA) Aaron's Professional Women's Cycling Team 1.53
8 Joanne Kiesanowski (NZl) Team TIBCO 2.03
9 Tiffany Cromwell (USA) Colavita / Sutter Home p/b Cooking Light 2.07
10 Rachel Heal (GBr) Team TIBCO 2.33

Top 10 General Classification after Stage 3
1 Julie Beveridge (Can) Aaron's Professional Women's Cycling Team 5.16.36
2 Leah Goldstein (Can) ValueAct Capital Cycling Team 0.07