Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very old GE refrigerator. It still works great, but water accumulates in the bottom and unto the floor. It is frost free. Is there anyway that I can fix this myself, or must I buy a new one?

Thanks

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Can't help, but reaaaaally looking forward to some replies from others because our not-all-that-old KitchenAid has the same problem. On ours the ice maker has quit working, so the two problems may be related; I've not yet tried to investigate.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
daniell said:
I have a very old GE refrigerator. It still works great, but water accumulates in the bottom and unto the floor. It is frost free. Is there anyway that I can fix this myself, or must I buy a new one?

Thanks
The one I have in the refrigerator does this also. It's from ice buildup coming from the freezer--probably in the vent that leads from the freezer to the refrigerator. Take everything out and let the refrigerator totally defrost. Wipe up all the water from the melting ice that was built up and then start it up again. SHould be good to go for a while.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Ours does that when the freezer temperature is set too low- we keep it higher than that (but still well below freezing) and the water stops.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
If it a really old refrigerator, I recommend scraping it and getting a new one. I replaced by old one two years ago and the electricity saving was amazing. I figure that the new fridge will have paid for itself in less than 6 years. The new one is also a lot quieter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts