Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to do some work on my bike tonight and noticed I had a flat. Rode it yesterday, and it was fine. I figured I must have picked up a slow leak, so I reinflated, went to the bath tub and put some water on the tire to look for bubbles. Nothing popped up immedietly, but then I noticed liitle micro bubbles coming out along the sidewalls. Tie is Maxxis Detonator, tube is Conti race. Is this normal? Doesn't seem like it should be. Inflation was 120 lb/in^2. Would appreciate anyone's insight.

· Registered
797 Posts
You could get a thorn or some glass or somthing of nature in a sidewall... It has happend to me. Patch the tube and ride on.
You could have also had a spoke nipel, or a bur on a spoke hole (pending on rim type) rub a place in the tube. THat leak could possibley appear arround the bead.

· Registered
21,833 Posts
Or not

JMac said:
I went to do some work on my bike tonight and noticed I had a flat. Rode it yesterday, and it was fine. I figured I must have picked up a slow leak, so I reinflated, went to the bath tub and put some water on the tire to look for bubbles. Nothing popped up immedietly, but then I noticed liitle micro bubbles coming out along the sidewalls. Tie is Maxxis Detonator, tube is Conti race. Is this normal? Doesn't seem like it should be. Inflation was 120 lb/in^2.
You most likely have a hole somewhere in your tube, and the sidewall just happens to be where the air is leaking out. When you get the tube out, you may find a snake bite pinch flat, an abrasion leak, a leak on the inner surface (possibly due to a poor rim tape), or a split seam. Note where the hole in the tube is relative to where the bubbles are coming out (the reason you mount the tire with the label positioned at the valve stem). You'll figure it out.

· Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
JMac said:
I went to do some work on my bike tonight and noticed I had a flat. Rode it yesterday, and it was fine. I figured I must have picked up a slow leak, so I reinflated, went to the bath tub and put some water on the tire to look for bubbles. Nothing popped up immedietly, but then I noticed liitle micro bubbles coming out along the sidewalls. Tie is Maxxis Detonator, tube is Conti race. Is this normal? Doesn't seem like it should be. Inflation was 120 lb/in^2. Would appreciate anyone's insight.
Any air that is not contained by the tube can and will come out of the tire at any place that will allow air to pass. Frequently, that is the closest opening in the fabric of the tire near the tube leak, or around the valve stem, or around the nipples if the rim strip is porus. Check that entire tube for leaks and rub the inside of the tire looking for something sticking through, before replacing the tube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.