Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buses, what the heck is up with them? Is it the pure exhilaration of pulling in front of me just before the bus stop? I don't get it, forcing me into the traffic lane to leap frog once again. I did this for at least 3 miles.

I will get around the bus at a stop and just before the next light it will nip in front of me only to stop on the other side of the intersection and I have to pass in traffic again then repeat and repeat. I finally got the jump on him when there is a section with 2 stops between lights and I caught the light green and he didn't.

Leaf blowers, why the heck do cities allow people to take dirt from their property and blow it into the street? I mean don't those things have a suck function too? Is this an NIMBY thing just blow it into a street and you don't have to think about your responsibilities any more. I came around a corner this AM that tuesday was clean and fast and today it was full of leaves, glass, cigarette butts and miscellaneous garbage.

That said we got some precipitation (measured: trace) so this morning was unusually cool for Arizona (mid 80's with 35% humidity !!). Nothing like the monsoons approaching to break up the summer heat doldrums.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
We will do just about anything to avoid buses-alas,all but impossable here in DC. A favorite trick of tour bus drivers is to share your lane while approaching a sweeping right curve....... :eek: :mad: :mad2:

· ...?
1,481 Posts
I HATE busses. I almost hit a parked car because of one the other day. I was in the bike lane, comming to a green light (planning on sprinting up ahead) when I notice that the bus is slowly moving closer and closer to me. I hit the brakes, got back behind it, and managed to cut around it in the traffic lane, cursing the whole time. I probably would have gotten pinned between the bus and parked cars otherwise.

· Potatoes
1,404 Posts
Here, we're allowed to use bus lanes, but they still play the leapfrog game. As James May from Top Gear once said: "Why don't you just bloody slow down and give your passengers a better ride"

What I do when I hear a bus trying to pass knowing it'll be a case of a game of leap frog, is simply take up the lane - as a cyclist is legally entitled to do - so that they can't pass.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Tyson L. Sparks said:
Busses? Don't you guys believe in bike paths?
We tend to be kind of hard core commuters and expect to be treated like any other vehicle on the road-with all the rights and responsibilities that go with being a legal law abiding vehicle. Bike lanes are nice but don't always exist where folks tend to work.

Busses are a real problem because of their size and I suspect bus drivers have a tough time dealing with cyclists because of all the unpredictable things cyclists do.

It is crazy out there in bike to work land.

· Registered
960 Posts
Tyson L. Sparks said:
Busses? Don't you guys believe in bike paths?
Bike Paths? Sometimes, but rarely cause in this county you can be ticketed as much as $150 for speeding on the Bike Path... anything over 15 mph and you end up paying the govt. and I'd be willing to bet that they are using that money (in part) to keep the buses running.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
strategies

rockcrusher said:
Buses, what the heck is up with them? Is it the pure exhilaration of pulling in front of me just before the bus stop? I don't get it, forcing me into the traffic lane to leap frog once again. I did this for at least 3 miles.

I will get around the bus at a stop and just before the next light it will nip in front of me only to stop on the other side of the intersection and I have to pass in traffic again then repeat and repeat. I finally got the jump on him when there is a section with 2 stops between lights and I caught the light green and he didn't.
My bus strategies:

1. At stop lights, I pull up to the front and right of them, then sprint out ahead so that they don't immediately cut me off pulling into the bus stop right after the interesection.

2. Frequently take the lane, making it clear they are not to attempt to share my lane.

3. Sometimes, if I'm not feeling like a lot of sprinting, I just give up, back off, and fall back from the same traffic light cycle as them.

4. If they do pull in front of me to pull into a stop, I signal pull way out, and then take the other lane, so that cars have to stay behind me; I won't be squeezed between cars and the bus.

5. If we are engaging, I make a mental note of the bus number and the time. Even better, get a good look at the driver. More on that below.

6. Get to know the assistant city manager, or equivalent, in charge of transportation. Don't hesitate to make a complaint about a dangerous, careless, or worse, aggressive bus driver. Bypass the bus manager and go straight to the top. Need to have information about bus number, time, location, and driver description, if possible. Suggest the bus drivers may need some additional "training" on being careful around cyclists. If that doesn't get it done, flood council members and the mayor's office with complaints.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
On the other hand,

I try to think of cyclists and busses (and all public transit) as being on the same side in the big battle. We're both about getting some cars off the road, and that benefits everybody. Sure, jockeying with the bus can be a nuisance, but would it be better if the 25 people in the bus were driving 25 cars instead?

Both bus drivers and cyclists need education in how to coexist. Around here (Hartford Ct. area) most bus drivers have become pretty good about dealing with cyclists. It probably helps that the transit system has officially embraced multi-modalism, installing easy-to-use bike racks on the front of most busses, and even instructing drivers to allow cyclists to bring bikes inside the bus if it's not too crowded. When riding home in surprise snow squall once, I even had a bus driver pull up alongside me, open the door, and offer me a ride.

I play the leapfrog game frequently, and the strategies noted by Mr. Fixed work pretty well most of the time.

I don't have a problem with tax subsidies to transit systems, because they provide a public benefit, getting cars off the road, reducing fuel use and pollution. We need more busses and trains, not fewer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.