Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched and could not find the answer.

Looking for some Campy 9 speed shifters for my Fiancee's bike. Her ultegra 9 is wearing thin and the Campy stuff has much nicer ergonomics anyway. But she uses a Triple, and I can't fricken find anywhere if ALL Campy shifters can be set to go triple, or if they are double and triple specific?

How about the 10 speed campy stuff then? Double/triple or are the shifters specific?

Tanks.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
robdamanii said:
Searched and could not find the answer.

Looking for some Campy 9 speed shifters for my Fiancee's bike. Her ultegra 9 is wearing thin and the Campy stuff has much nicer ergonomics anyway. But she uses a Triple, and I can't fricken find anywhere if ALL Campy shifters can be set to go triple, or if they are double and triple specific?

How about the 10 speed campy stuff then? Double/triple or are the shifters specific?
Left shifters work fine with doubles or triples. However, if you are talking about derailleurs, you might need a long cage or medium cage rear derailleur to handle the chain wrap.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
For NOS and out-of-production parts, this guy has everything Campy. www.campyoldy.uk
His name is Nigel - nice guy. I bought a few things from him. Prompt shipping-reliable.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonderful info indeed. Thanks for the links.

Looks like I may try to get her to jump to 10 speed with the new 09 stuff.

I'm guessing I can use a shimano front derailleur with the Campy shifters, or do I need a Campy front as well?

(I'm such a Campy n00b)

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

Campy and Shimano are not that compatible. I once tried a Shimano DA triple FD on my Campy triple drivetrain and it did not work well at all.

If you want to switch to Campy 10 the only good way is to swap the shifters, FD, RD and the rear wheel, since the cog spacing is not the same.

If you continue to use a Shimano cassette, a J-tek shiftmate would be required to correct the RD travel for the different cog spacing.

There is a cobbled-up way to use Campy 10 shifter with a Shimano RD and Shimano 9 cassette, instead of the J-tek.

·
497 Posts
to clarify a little further (hopefully)

the left hand shifter uses a ratchet mechanism, instead of just 1 or 2 clicks, which is why there is no "double" or "triple" differentiation on campy shifters, and no issues with trim.

I think there was a brief time recently where they used a "quick shift" designation on some of the lower end shifters - the front derailleur geometry and/or springs were different, and there was just 1 or 2 indexing clicks on the left hand shifter - I would stay away from them. Those same lever models also came with a single up-click "escape" mechanism on the right hand side that did not allow for multiple dumping of cogs in one lever throw. More importantly, the mechanism was even "lighter action" aka cheap feeling, more so than the regular stuff which is plenty light action enough IMO. They never put it on the Record or Chorus shifters if that tells you something. Older 10 speed Veloce/Centaur/Daytona/Mirage/Xenon shifters, any year Record/Chorus shifter, new 10 speed "Ultra" Centaur levers, and the new 11 speed Chorus/Record/Super Record stuff all use the superior ratchet mechanism on the left, and multiple shift capability on the right as far as I can tell.

Like C40 said, even though there is infinite trim with the campy shifters, shimano front derailleurs do not seem to work as well since the spring tensions and cable throw ratios are very different. I'm using an Ultegra 10 front derailleur with older Veloce 10 shifters - it physically moves the chain around perfectly on the dura ace crank (bastardized bike) but I DO have to use the entire lever throw to upshift. Shifting a triple like this could be tricky. If you're doing the upgrade, it's best to do it right and get all campy parts.

Also, like C40 has written in the past, the 11 speed stuff is supposed to be pretty nice. Overseas prices are comparable to 10 speed, which has been around for 10 years. I would get the new 11 speed stuff at this point if you can afford Chorus level stuff. The new 2009 Centaur 10 levers supposedly have the same mechanism though, so you won't have to deal with replacing G springs every year or two (the main complaint about campy shifters in the past), but I'd still just get the 11 speed and start out with modern parts.

Obviously I know nothing about her riding, but consider going with a 34-50 compact crank, a mid-cage derailleur, and a wider range cassette (12-27 or 11-25). Compact cranks and 11 cogs can offer a nice range of gearing without any huge jumps. It seems like triple riders do a lot of front end shifting, at least that's been my limited experience on them. Unless she really likes that granny gear or climbs a bunch of freak hills, it's worth looking into. And let the gearing wars begin...

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
correction...

You're confusing QS that was used on all levers with the cheap escape mechanism, found on '07-'08 Centaur and below. Escape shifters had limited function from the thumb button.

QS only affects the left finger lever and does nothing but reduce the dead travel. It was used at all levels. FDs were also called QS. They had longer lever arms to reduce the effort required to shift, but required one more click to cover the full range of travel.

·
497 Posts
just got 09 Centaur levers

I like them, mostly. The new hoods are indeed an improvement in my opinion. The levers are subjectively (don't have a scale) as light as my old Chorus ones and substantially lighter than my 2006 Veloces. The shifting seems more accurate than either of my two previous levers as well, not that they were bad. It's also really nice to not have the D springs that are going to wear out, but I really miss feeling the distinct "click" during downshifts - it's going to take more time to get used to this after 10 years of solid clicks, but the upshifting feels just as good.

I'm really not a fan of the narrow cable housing diameters though, along with unchanged ferrule diameter or thickness, making fitting seem a bit sloppy. Also, while campy instructions have never been overly informative, they really outdid themselves this time with a new level of incompleteness, blatant outdatedness, and general worthlessness. Guess time will see if this was a good way to go or not.

As to one of the original questions about using a Shimano front derailleur with campy derailleurs - like c40 said, doesn't work all that well. You can get a campy veloce front derailleur shipped for under $40 from probikekit.com right now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you have a Compact crank the Centaur CT is less than $40 on ebay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts