Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had Campagnolo on any bike. My first bike had Shimano Tiagra with the thumb lever on the inside of the hood....much like Campy's Ergopower shifters. I found it very difficult to shift to an easier gear from the drops. How is this not an issue with Campy? I can't imagine that so many pros would be using Campagnolo if that was the case. Someone please school me on the Campy drivetrain.

G

·
I don't have any trouble reaching the thumb lever from the drops using Campy, its right where my thumb is, and I don't have large hands.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
The thumb levers on the Campy Ergo's will shift to a harder gear in the rear and will drop to the small ring in front. If set up properly, there shouldn't be a problem accessing these levers from the drops unless you have extremely small hands.

G

·
FatTireFred said:
the thumb button isn't used to go to an easier gear

I really should have caught that, but then I am pretty sure I have forgotten it myself a few times when oxygen deprived as I shifted into a gear I had no hope of turning.:blush2:

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
dkweikel said:
. My first bike had Shimano Tiagra with the thumb lever on the inside of the hood....much like Campy's Ergopower shifters. I found it very difficult to shift to an easier gear from the drops. How is this not an issue with Campy? I can't imagine that so many pros would be using Campagnolo if that was the case. Someone please school me on the Campy drivetrain.
It's not an issue with Campy because they're not really similar -- the Campy thumb button is properly placed to allow easy reach from the drops. It's a quirk of the Tiagra shifter that the button is placed like that. I assume Shimano did that because they assumed the group would be used mainly on entry-level bikes, whose riders would rarely ride in the drops, so they placed the button to be easy to reach from above, but not from below.

Campy's thumb button can be operated easily from both positions -- sometimes when my hands are on the tops (center bar section), I reach out and punch it with my pinky when I need a quick upshift.

·
Registered
199 Posts
kytyree said:
I really should have caught that, but then I am pretty sure I have forgotten it myself a few times when oxygen deprived as I shifted into a gear I had no hope of turning.:blush2:

Ive dont that :)

come up to a big hill and get the last few strokes out of the current gear...then shift...crap! wrong way :blush2:

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Execution

dkweikel said:
I've never had Campagnolo on any bike. My first bike had Shimano Tiagra with the thumb lever on the inside of the hood....much like Campy's Ergopower shifters. I found it very difficult to shift to an easier gear from the drops. How is this not an issue with Campy? I can't imagine that so many pros would be using Campagnolo if that was the case. Someone please school me on the Campy drivetrain.
Two words: proper execution. As others have explained, Tiagra was never really meant to be shifted from the drops. Suffice it to say, Campy works MUCH better :)

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Tiagra thumb lever is placed further forward and higher than the thumb lever on Campy shifters. I have small hands and I can reach the thumb lever from the tops and from the drops using Campy shifters. I had an opportunity to try a Tiagra shifter on a bike I was tuning up for a friend's coworker but I never tried it from the drops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts