Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Grand Cherokee is in the shop again, tho no surprise after 187,000 miles.. I need a race-transporter/commuter that will be cheap, have decent mileage, and last me (reliably) 2 years til I move out of the country.

A recent-vintage Crown Victoria P71 seems like a decent consideration. They're plentiful, inexpensive, and seem to be pretty bulletproof. Providing the car wasn't really abused. Lots on ebay, or craigslist.

Are there any pitfalls? Would buying such a vehicle from ebay, sight unseen, be stupid?

Thanks in advance!
Tim

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
dead flag blues said:
. Providing the car wasn't really abused.
Tim

i would most are fairly abused since they are driven by people who don't own them.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I had a 96 P71 that I bought cheep. It had a ton-o-miles 250,000 to be exact. It was a Highway Petrol car so it saw alot of idle time and highway driving. Original engine that ran great and burnt no oil. Anyway I drove it with no problem for another 75K and sold it to a kid who is still beating the hell out of it.

My current is a 04 P71 that I bought with 69K on it. Havent had a lick of problems. It is showing 84K now. I use it as a winter car and it does great. I would look at them before buying though. Mine was a supervisor/inspectors car so it was in good shape when I got it. The maintenance is second to none on these cars and if you buy it direct it comes with all the records from day one.

Bottom line, good long lasting indestructible car. I get about 26 MPG at 70MPH and about 22 around town.

I know taxi guys that get 350K out of them and sell them still running. They take really good care of them right? Yah Right!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have actually purchased two of them from the Hwy Patrol and they have been mostly trouble free. However, one of them had transmission issues and rear end issues which I discovered when driving it home; you could not test drive the cars except in the parking lot. The Hwy Patrol rebuilt the transmission and fixed the rear end for me; since then no trouble. No doubt these cars get abused so buyer beware; steering linkages are prone to get worn with these vehicles. I have no regrets with the ones I purchased thanks in part to the Hwy Patrol fixing one of them. When I show up at the trails to mountain bike it is kind of cool to get the bike out of the trunk; you can get two bikes in there if you take the wheels off.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Can't go wrong as long as you fix the cigarette lighter.

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
222 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Can't go wrong as long as you fix the cigarette lighter.
"These cops got SCMODS"

"SCMODS?"

"SUBURBAN COUNTY MUNICIPAL OFFENDER DATA SYSTEM"

"OH"

·
(not a real racer)
482 Posts
We have a Crown Vic Sport. It's not a true P-71 but it's what they build them out of, same stock and all.
The catalytic converters are prone to fall apart when the car is run for long periods of time at freeway speeds. When they go they produce a nice "marbles in a coffee can" sound that's pretty annoying. Ford had a recall for them but we missed it by a couple hundred miles. Fortunately my wife knows someone at Magnaflow so we got some aftermarket cats and had them installed. No problems at all. YMMV.
All in all it's a great car. When you travel on the freeway at night people get the hell out of your way when they see the headlights coming up behind them at 80 or so. heheheh. I love the Vic on long road trips, it's like driving a sofa with a V8!

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
robbyracer said:
We have a Crown Vic Sport. It's not a true P-71 but it's what they build them out of, same stock and all.
The catalytic converters are prone to fall apart when the car is run for long periods of time at freeway speeds. When they go they produce a nice "marbles in a coffee can" sound that's pretty annoying. Ford had a recall for them but we missed it by a couple hundred miles. Fortunately my wife knows someone at Magnaflow so we got some aftermarket cats and had them installed. No problems at all. YMMV.
All in all it's a great car. When you travel on the freeway at night people get the hell out of your way when they see the headlights coming up behind them at 80 or so. heheheh. I love the Vic on long road trips, it's like driving a sofa with a V8!
Yah my cats blew up at 80K. No big deal though.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
A from Il said:
Yah my cats blew up at 80K. No big deal though.
Your cats blowed up!?!?!?!!?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. Do you have any advice on how to get a P71 direct?

I'm going to call the local cab maintenance company and see if they can recommend a source..

Tim

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
dead flag blues said:
Thanks guys. Do you have any advice on how to get a P71 direct?

I'm going to call the local cab maintenance company and see if they can recommend a source..

Tim
Where are you?

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
I've always wondered: is it illegal to make one of those P71's look like an unmarked cop car, such as with tinted windows, folding searchlights above the sideview mirrors, those black wheels with the little silver hub caps, and radio antennas on the trunk/roof? I saw a dude driving one like that the other day and he was definitely not a cop, lolz.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
jaegermeister269 said:
"These cops got SCMODS"

"SCMODS?"

"SUBURBAN COUNTY MUNICIPAL OFFENDER DATA SYSTEM"

"OH"

Suburban? Try "State"

Noob.

Elwood: Sh!t!
Jake: What?
Elwood: Rollers.
Jake: No?
Elwood: Yeah.
Jake: Sh!t.

[Elwood pulls over as directed and an officer approaches the car.]

Elwood: What? What did I do?
Officer Daniel: You failed to stop at a red signal.
Elwood: The light was yellow sir.
Officer Daniel: May I see your license please?

[He takes the license back to the squad car.]

Jake: Goddamnit!
Elwood: Man I haven't been pulled over in six months. I bet those cops have got SCMODS.
Jake: SCMODS?
Elwood: State, County, Municipal, Offender, Data, System.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Depends on the state. I am from California and there you cant have a black and white. I have since moved to Illinois and there is at least one in the Chicago area that is black/white and still has the lights on it. They are just clear lights but they are there. Mine still has the spot lights/pushbar and strobes. I dont dare use any of it though.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Missouri State Police has the best maintained and the lowest mileage cars at their auctions. They also get the best price. Avoid Texas, Georgia and Massachusetts.

·
Pixie Sticks and Politics
716 Posts
If you can, check with the agency the car is from. I notice a difference between those agencies that have general cars and take home cars. Units that are assigned to one person from the beginning are usually taken care of better, because that is your assigned unit. Plus, it isn't driven as often. Yeah, mileage may be the same, but if it is a unit that is shared, then there is a good possibility (esp with a small agency) that that unit runs approx 24 hrs a day (i.e. each shift uses it). Most of your state agencies have take home units with scheduled maintenance written into policy. I know ours is. If you have a take home car, it is only used when that particular officer/deputy/trooper is on duty. They take better care of it because it is theirs and they are responsible.

·
Pixie Sticks and Politics
716 Posts
He he. I said unit! Sorry. Couldn't pass it up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts