Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little confused about cross bikes. I owned one and liked it a lot,even though I thought it was too long. I ride a 54.5 top tube on my road bike. The cross was a 55.5(Gunnar). I put a stem on it to get it close to my road reach length. Even though it handled great, was that just a bandaid? I want it right. What are the current ideas on cross frame sizing? I have noticed the x frames seem to all have longer top tubes in relation to seat tube size. Why not ride a frame identical to your road frame? What do the pros ride, and what does everyone else ride? Like I said,my road frame is a 54.5 with a 110 stem. Perfect fit. How do I choose a cross frame. What do I look for? I will be racing local events and riding dirt roads and smooth dirt singletrack :D . Thanks people.

towerscum

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
towerscum said:
I am a little confused about cross bikes. I owned one and liked it a lot,even though I thought it was too long. I ride a 54.5 top tube on my road bike. The cross was a 55.5(Gunnar). I put a stem on it to get it close to my road reach length. Even though it handled great, was that just a bandaid? I want it right. What are the current ideas on cross frame sizing? I have noticed the x frames seem to all have longer top tubes in relation to seat tube size. Why not ride a frame identical to your road frame? What do the pros ride, and what does everyone else ride? Like I said,my road frame is a 54.5 with a 110 stem. Perfect fit. How do I choose a cross frame. What do I look for? I will be racing local events and riding dirt roads and smooth dirt singletrack :D . Thanks people.

towerscum
What are you using it for? Serious single track? CX racing? Gravel paths? Commuting? - TF

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TurboTurtle said:
What are you using it for? Serious single track? CX racing? Gravel paths? Commuting? - TF
Small local races. Mostly blasting around the cross country ski trails in the summer. Singletrack too.

towerscum

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
54 w/ a 110 stem and some spacers to jack it up a little higher might be a good bet. Generally school of thought is either road size or a tad smaller, I have tried both and lean toward the smaller size for cyclocross racing. A too-large cross frame is just awful.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
go smaller
52 would probably do you good.
compare your road bike to your mountain bike frame, the mountain frame is much smaller. You get a lot more control over it. For CX you want closer to road then mountain but still a bit smaller.

Try a lot of sizes and see how it feels. Most i know go several sizes smaller...

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
I like to keep the tt about the same. My road bike tt = 55 and my cross bikes are 54.5. The cross bikes are set up so I ride a bit more upright too.

The 54 Gunnar was too big for you ... a 52 would probably fit you better. In other frames, you would probably do well on 54's -- they seem to have 54.5 tt (Redline for example). In any event, try to size by tt.

As others said, test ride some bikes if you can.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Get a frame with same TT

Get a frame that has the same TT as your road bike. Use the same length stem and maybe just flip it so you sit up a little more. Your legs and upper body will feel too cramped if to go with a shorter top tube frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts