Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't listen to the advice of the masses!
Bought my new Fuji Roubaix off ebay from a bike shop out of Florida, got it for a good price around 500 less than retail. I was happy!
Bike arrived, UPS dropped it off on my front porch!
Didn't knock or let me know it was there or otherwise! Luckly I was home heard a noise and opened door in time to see UPS driving out of my lane!
I was Happy again!
Then I was thinking Boy I'm glad I was home because the thought of my new bike laying on the front porch for the taking was one I didn't like to much!
What was UPS thinking? Then I seen the box!
It had 5 holes punched in it 3 of which were large the rear wheel skewers lever was hanging out of the box and scratched all up!
About this time I figured out why the UPS guy took off without letting us know it was there! He knew it was messed up!
I removed bike from box, It was scratched up everywhere!
Worst of all looks like box was dropped and rear wheel has a flat spot in it making bike non-ridable!
Called bike shop, Owner was cool told me how to go about filing a claim with UPS.
Started the process took pictures sent them in per UPS instruction and waited!
Got my email from UPS that they had contacted the Shop owner and for me to follow up with them!
Mind you up to this point the Shop owner had been really helpful. Told me how it was important that I'm happy with the bike and that he would make things right regardless of what the UPS outcome is!
Contacted him today! He said UPS said bike wasn't packaged well and won't cover damages! So now I'm thinking Ok owner was cool he will make things right!
Well turns out his idea of making things right is ME doing all the leg work getting repair cost quotes,taking bike to shop for repairs and waiting!
What happend to sending me a new wheel? I would be up and riding in a few days!
Ok I know the shop is in Florida and I understand I would need to do some leg work here!
But the big issue is that the bike shops around here are 3 weeks out on repairs now I've got a new bike I'm anxious to ride I've had for over 2 weeks waiting on UPS and the bike shop to settle the claims now I have to wait 3 more weeks for repairs all the while the riding season keeps moving on!
Then I have got to thinking? How do I really know what UPS did to settle the claim here?
They don't tell you what the settlement was! you have to take the shippers word for it!
He could have got a lump sum of money for the the damages and feed me a line about not getting a settlement! I'm left taking his word for it maybe getting my wheel repaired and ending up with a new bike that looks like it has been thru a battle zone!
So bottom line here is!
Listen to the advice of others and buy from a local bike shop! Even if it cost a little more! You will be so much more happier in the end!

· Registered
89 Posts
I think that the package must've been insured??? And if UPS said it wasn't packaged properly, why did they accept the package in the first place???

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I learned my lesson

The bike was sealed in a standard bike shipping box, why UPS said it wasn't packaged right was because it contained no protective wrap inside box, When they requisted pictures of shipping container they are to include all package material.
And to be frank it wasn't packed right the frame should have been wrapped in some sort of protictive covering such as bubble wrap! It wasen't.
UPS had no idea what kind of protection was included in the sealed container.
But and this is a BIG But!
UPS should have handled it with more care there is no excuse for a container to have 5 holes ripped into it and you can see where it was clearly dropped on one corner as the container was crushed from the impact.

· Registered
108 Posts
Its definitely good to buy from your LBS. It does support them and the independent model of cycling. However, online savings can be steep. I've bought and sold a ton online and have been happy.

Personally, I think complete bikes are the riskiest as a lot can go wrong in shipping. If I were to buy and ship, I would insist on packing and shipping the frame and components (including wheels in their own box) separately and pay an extra $50-100 to have this done.

I personally buy most maintenance parts, tires, pedals, clothing, computers/electronics from my LBS. Computers/electronics specifically so I can warranty and return them if needed. The other parts listed haven't been too much less expensive online after shipping costs, so I tend to get them from the shop.

I do get single non mechanical parts like headsets, stems, handlebars online. The price difference including shipping of solid new or even used parts is just too large to justify shopping locally.

Just be careful, and know the risks when shopping online, especially used.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't ship with UPS anymore, as I've heard that bull from them before. No matter how well you pack things, they will quote the same crap- "improper packing" every time somone has a claim. They are more than happy to accept your money for insurance, but when you need to file a claim, thy weasle their way out of it. Next time, try fed ex ground. I've shipped dozens of bike with them, and so far, no problems.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
UPS drove a forklift THROUGH a bike I was shipping- those tell-tale square holes are hard to miss. I had packed the bike really well, wrapped every tube, but that doesn't really protect against a FORKLIFT.

They mashed up the frame pretty good.

Lucky for me, I insured it for the sale price.

UPS tried to deny my insurance claim- said it wasn't packed well enough. I wondered how one packs to prevent someone spearing the box with a forklift.

My local shipper disagreed with UPS's assessment, and paid the insurance claim out of his own pocket.

UPS sucks. The local shippers are great, but unfortunately, I just won't use them anymore.

· still shedding season
8,849 Posts
havnmonkey said:
And if UPS said it wasn't packaged properly, why did they accept the package in the first place???
They would have to tear open every box that comes in to make sure everything is packaged correctly. Of course that can't happen, plus it doesn't give them a nice "out" like it did with the forklift incident above. But I have to agree, LBS is the way to do it.

· I like the BIG RING
160 Posts
It depends how you paid

Robert E Smith said:
I didn't listen to the advice of the masses!
Bought my new Fuji Roubaix off ebay from a bike shop out of Florida, got it for a good price around 500 less than retail. I was happy!
Bike arrived, UPS dropped it off on my front porch!
Didn't knock or let me know it was there or otherwise! Luckly I was home heard a noise and opened door in time to see UPS driving out of my lane!
I was Happy again!
Then I was thinking Boy I'm glad I was home because the thought of my new bike laying on the front porch for the taking was one I didn't like to much!
What was UPS thinking? Then I seen the box!
It had 5 holes punched in it 3 of which were large the rear wheel skewers lever was hanging out of the box and scratched all up!
About this time I figured out why the UPS guy took off without letting us know it was there! He knew it was messed up!
I removed bike from box, It was scratched up everywhere!
Worst of all looks like box was dropped and rear wheel has a flat spot in it making bike non-ridable!
Called bike shop, Owner was cool told me how to go about filing a claim with UPS.
Started the process took pictures sent them in per UPS instruction and waited!
Got my email from UPS that they had contacted the Shop owner and for me to follow up with them!
Mind you up to this point the Shop owner had been really helpful. Told me how it was important that I'm happy with the bike and that he would make things right regardless of what the UPS outcome is!
Contacted him today! He said UPS said bike wasn't packaged well and won't cover damages! So now I'm thinking Ok owner was cool he will make things right!
Well turns out his idea of making things right is ME doing all the leg work getting repair cost quotes,taking bike to shop for repairs and waiting!
What happend to sending me a new wheel? I would be up and riding in a few days!
Ok I know the shop is in Florida and I understand I would need to do some leg work here!
But the big issue is that the bike shops around here are 3 weeks out on repairs now I've got a new bike I'm anxious to ride I've had for over 2 weeks waiting on UPS and the bike shop to settle the claims now I have to wait 3 more weeks for repairs all the while the riding season keeps moving on!
Then I have got to thinking? How do I really know what UPS did to settle the claim here?
They don't tell you what the settlement was! you have to take the shippers word for it!
He could have got a lump sum of money for the the damages and feed me a line about not getting a settlement! I'm left taking his word for it maybe getting my wheel repaired and ending up with a new bike that looks like it has been thru a battle zone!
So bottom line here is!
Listen to the advice of others and buy from a local bike shop! Even if it cost a little more! You will be so much more happier in the end!
Did you pay via Paypal? If so, go there and open a dispute immediately. Let them know the situation and demand a refund as it was not delivered as stated. You are NOT responsible for the shippin damage, the bike shop IS!! They will usually decide in the buyers favor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.