Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that there is really one brand available.......GE Profile, but just wondering if anyone had used to make cookies, bake a pizza etc.

For small baking chores, it is supposed to cut time down significantly....

Thoughts....????

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
I like it for baking, not so much for roasting. I actually rarely use the convection part except to speed up heating up the oven. Then I switch over to regular baking.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snapdragen said:
I like it for baking, not so much for roasting. I actually rarely use the convection part except to speed up heating up the oven. Then I switch over to regular baking.

This is the convection MICROWAVE oven, not the regular one. My wife has fallen in love with it.

Of course, our Frigidaire front loading HE washer/dryer combo are only THREE years old, but we just bought the top of the line Samsung VRT Cherry Red Front loading washer/dryer set on pedestals, because my wife wanted the larger tub to wash comforters, etc........that was a cool bit of money....they're being delivered on Thursday....

NOW, when we were there, she fell in love with the GE Profile Convection/Microwave oven.....THIS...

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
physasst said:
NOW, when we were there, she fell in love with the GE Profile Convection/Microwave oven.....THIS...
How do you fall in love with a giant expensive hunk of metal and plastic you haven't even used? Sounds like someone has a case of buying things just because you can.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
I've got that same GE Profile Advantium. My wife wanted the conventional oven to use for large haoliday meals, she never does and has yet to ever use that fuctionality. I use it from time to time to reheat pizza but it is a pain, you have to change the plate out (glass out/steel in). It takes for ever to heat up because it is on 120V, not 240V like an electric oven. It is a lot of work to keep clean too. But it does look nice.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
We have one of the profile ones and like it. We cook take and bake pizzas in it almost every Friday night using the speed cook setting. 17 minutes and it comes out crisp. Works pretty good and we don't have to heat up the big oven.

It works fine for small pan of brownies and the like. We use the oven part quite a bit.

It's also nice to have a second oven during the holidays when there is a lot of cooking going on.

We have had ours about 7 years and it's been good.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
physasst said:
This is the convection MICROWAVE oven, not the regular one.

It has a 1000 watt microwave AND a 1500 watt heating element in it. It is both microwave AND regular. In fact, it can use both methods at once, from what little I have read. Not sure if that is a good idea or not, but maybe it could be for some things

We have a convection/toaster oven, and the small convection oven is really nice for reheating things you don't want to get soggy (chicken, pizza, crispy bread products, small frozen snacks). Great when you don't want to heat up the big oven in the summer. I can see how a convection function on a microwave would be similarly useful. But our convection toaster oven ended up costing something like $60 at Target, not sure I would like the performance as much if I was ponying up for the Profile.

In general, I am leery of any "this PLUS that" combo product. More to go wrong, and more likely to be low quality this and that compared to stand alone products. I'd look for reviews before committing, so at least you know what you are getting into.

If she wants it, and the product is not a lemon, getting it is probably the best thing you can do at this point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts