Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
atpjunkie said:
that turn into hen fests. I have work that has to get done, the gals get yawwing in a meeting and it turns into a half day killer. They pack their A$$es home at clsoing,I stay til I'm done which is now due to their freakin meeting 2 hrs plus later.

we had a meeting the day of our little off site XMas party. I was getting irritated as I had deadlines and they were giving me crap for being testy. They all left to go to the event at 2:30, I showed up about 5 when they were leaving. I gave them double middle finger salutes.
thus is the life of a tech geek. when a problem hits you're always the last one to leave. why don't you just turn down some of those meetings? do you really need to be there? Sometimes I just tell them I have a deadline and to report any significant action items I need to know about later--saves lots of wasted time listening to how your co-worker's vacation was, hearing the new person babble on to make themselves sound important, and that kind of time-wasting crap.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
I hate it when the Boss starts to think they know what I'm doing more than I do.... You hired me, either freaking leave me alone and let me do my job, or find someone else. God I hate that, it's like your in the 2nd grade and the teacher is constantly looking over your shoulder. Ugh, even worse is when they start telling you how to do something. Look retard, I'm sure your really good at whatever you do, now let me do what I'm good at. Good lord I hate that.

Ohh, ohh, another one, when the boss tries to connect with you, like "you know it's hard for people like US...." No, no it's not hard for people like US, it's hard for morons like YOU, now leave me the F alone. This usually happens when they are looking over your shoulder.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
am techy but not the geek

I'm the freakin designer and asst A/D and they are New Line meetings. I have to be there as myself and my boss (who is lead Art Director) with our production Mgr make it all come to life. We're trying to get a move on and they are yawwing about how cute this blank is and that.
put it this way. I've designed, output the film, created instructional sheets for the screen printers, sent art for digitizing (for embroidery),created instructional sheets for the embroidery dept. sent art to our outside vendors for production, etc... for an entire line singlehandedly faster than the 2 of them could come up with Style Numbers and Color names.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
atpjunkie said:
that turn into hen fests. I have work that has to get done, the gals get yawwing in a meeting and it turns into a half day killer. They pack their A$$es home at clsoing,I stay til I'm done which is now due to their freakin meeting 2 hrs plus later.

we had a meeting the day of our little off site XMas party. I was getting irritated as I had deadlines and they were giving me crap for being testy. They all left to go to the event at 2:30, I showed up about 5 when they were leaving. I gave them double middle finger salutes.
my first boss at my current employer (six years ago) would hold monday morning meetings at 8 am. that was the only day we'd get there on time. he wanted you IN THE ROOM by 7:45. very southern, very authoritarian, very "macho" like in an insecure-masculinity kinda way.

we'd all fill up gigantic travel coffee mugs and suck that java down to stay awake in his meetings. it was a tiny room packed with his direct reports (mostly us "young" geeky tech-types) and here he is, talking for THREE PLUS hours nonstop about absolute nonsense, in a sllloooooooooooooow southern drawl: golf, hunting, kids, etc etc etc etc etc etc. at the end of the meeting we'd go around the room and say what we were working on. actual business part of the meeting took 10-15 minutes. by the end of the meeting we all RAN to the bathroom to recycle the coffee. :rolleyes:

same guy wanted a different "project report" weekly, color coded differently with a new scheme and all that jazz, WEEKLY. by the time you figure out what he wanted, it changed.

he got canned for taking kickbacks and stealing vendors' sample technology.

now he's working for some international firm and they're paying him to learn foreign languages and take people to nudie bars and dinner.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Stick this somewhere in your self review...

" Intellectual capital calls forth two intertwined discourses of the employee and the user: the discourses
of love and entrepreneurship. I suggest that the discourse of love is about
the empowered employee who is supposed to develop innovative solutions in
return for security of employment. To do this, the manager has to provide
a milieu of care and understanding rather than a strict bureaucratic organization.
For this empowerment to work, the discourse of the user is called for to make
the innovative ambition orient itself towards something. The user is an idealized
one who is constructed simultaneously with the capacities of the firm, and
in concert the employee and the user are ingredients in a larger move to make
public sector organizations entrepreneurial ones. Thus the complete separation
of state and public institutions which creates new tensions about who determines
the product of the public sector. Intellectual capital is the central part
of this discussion."

See if anybody says anything.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
It's the waiting for assignments that is the worst. I'm a self-employed proofreader and translator, and even though I can foresee most of my quiet periods (like the summer and during Christmas), it is the unforeseen periods that get me a little nervous. For example, I read an enormous amount for PhD students at our local university. If after the summer holidays, I don't get anything until October, I'm a little worried, considering that by then most people in academia will have been back to work since the end of August. Other than that, I love my work. I learn a lot about all kinds of subjects, make my own schedule so that I can go for a ride or cross-country skiing whenever, and can take one hours naps after lunch :).
Cheers, Wayne

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
You have my deepest sympathy. I hated doing those things. Its tough writing something knowing its content is going to be examined, criticized and interpreted wrong. I would have preferred to do it interview style.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
robwh9 said:
" Intellectual capital calls forth two intertwined discourses of the employee and the user: the discourses
a milieu of care and understanding rather than a strict bureaucratic organization.
the innovative ambition orient itself towards something. The user is an idealized
of state and public institutions which creates new tensions about who determines
of this discussion."

"user" is a four letter word these days. colleague, associate, and customer are the buzzys.

hey, you said "milieu"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you f*cking rawk!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
FTF said:
I hate it when the Boss starts to think they know what I'm doing more than I do.... You hired me, either freaking leave me alone and let me do my job, or find someone else. God I hate that, it's like your in the 2nd grade and the teacher is constantly looking over your shoulder. Ugh, even worse is when they start telling you how to do something. Look retard, I'm sure your really good at whatever you do, now let me do what I'm good at. Good lord I hate that.

Ohh, ohh, another one, when the boss tries to connect with you, like "you know it's hard for people like US...." No, no it's not hard for people like US, it's hard for morons like YOU, now leave me the F alone. This usually happens when they are looking over your shoulder.
i'm pretty lucky. my boss used to me me. now she's in meetings all day, and when she's not, she's down in the pits working with us. doing the exact same things us peons do. i appreciate her connecting and genuinely doing the job.

on the other hand, she takes two weeks of vacation, and works all night every night. on xmas morning i get an email on my crackberry from her, to the "team". merry xmas. these things need to be accomplished before you return to the office:

words words words.

there's not enough work for our team, but she wants us working overtime, nights, and weekends.

just. because.

wtf?

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
wayneanneli said:
It's the waiting for assignments that is the worst. I'm a self-employed proofreader and translator, and even though I can foresee most of my quiet periods (like the summer and during Christmas), it is the unforeseen periods that get me a little nervous. For example, I read an enormous amount for PhD students at our local university. If after the summer holidays, I don't get anything until October, I'm a little worried, considering that by then most people in academia will have been back to work since the end of August. Other than that, I love my work. I learn a lot about all kinds of subjects, make my own schedule so that I can go for a ride or cross-country skiing whenever, and can take one hours naps after lunch :).
Cheers, Wayne
do yew think ide makeit as a good enouf proofreader? wat do you think wain?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
robwh9 said:
of this discussion."

good stuff--i could probably get away with it as I'm 99% sure that the only person who actually reads my plan and accmplishments is my boss--and then she's only reading it to make sure I didn't take credit for anything she wanted to claim as her own. ;)

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
do yew think ide makeit as a good enouf proofreader? wat do you think wain?
Idjut, can't you put that in Swedish: Doo yeeww vink ida makeeaita assa goouda ennouufa pooffeader? vata doa yeeww vink vwain?

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
lousylegs said:
Idjut, can't you put that in Swedish: Doo yeeww vink ida makeeaita assa goouda ennouufa pooffeader? vata doa yeeww vink vwain?
:D :p :)

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
How about a mtg with crying and screaming.

Not me, incidentally, but nonetheless related to me. As said individual melted down today, it was decided to progressively relieve said individual of assigned duties and to give them to me to do in addition to my other ones.

The paradox of the gov't work environment: if you're a sh!tbag, you'll be passively rewarded by having your work load sluffed-off on those who do it. ...And that axiom's corollary: if you have a reasonable work ethic and pay attention to details, you will be punished with more work.

I'm buying a damned lottery ticket on the way home today.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
sn69 said:
Not me, incidentally, but nonetheless related to me. As said individual melted down today, it was decided to progressively relieve said individual of assigned duties and to give them to me to do in addition to my other ones.

The paradox of the gov't work environment: if you're a sh!tbag, you'll be passively rewarded by having your work load sluffed-off on those who do it. ...And that axiom's corollary: if you have a reasonable work ethic and pay attention to details, you will be punished with more work.

I'm buying a damned lottery ticket on the way home today.
Do you military types have to go through this performance review BS? I'm guessing yes--with a vengeance! ;)

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Yup.

Every year. There's a quantifiable grade point section and there's a subjective narrative that has to be objectively quantifiable. Riiiggghhhhttttt.

It's always a hoot, but I hear the Coast Guard one is a varsity nightmare.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
sn69 said:
Every year. There's a quantifiable grade point section and there's a subjective narrative that has to be objectively quantifiable. Riiiggghhhhttttt.

It's always a hoot, but I hear the Coast Guard one is a varsity nightmare.
Aren't you also rated on your skills in flying around and blowing stuff up? You know, gunnery practice and so forth. That would sure make my own performance reviews a lot more fun.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Aren't you also rated on your skills in flying around and blowing stuff up? You know, gunnery practice and so forth. That would sure make my own performance reviews a lot more fun.
If you want to borrow an AR15 for your next review, just come right out and say it.

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
It's relatively minor.

Airmanship, or for the ship dudes seamanship, is a relatively minor annula reporting point. The basic expectation is that nominal proficiency is required and expected. Those who fail to perform to expectations typically don't pass annual flight evaluations, which are a different critter.

Mostly, our value is based on the amount of trees we kill. The public would be underwhelmed with the sheer bureaucracy of it all. It ain't Topgun; more like Office Space.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
i'm pretty lucky. my boss used to me me. now she's in meetings all day, and when she's not, she's down in the pits working with us. doing the exact same things us peons do. i appreciate her connecting and genuinely doing the job.

on the other hand, she takes two weeks of vacation, and works all night every night. on xmas morning i get an email on my crackberry from her, to the "team". merry xmas. these things need to be accomplished before you return to the office:

words words words.

there's not enough work for our team, but she wants us working overtime, nights, and weekends.

just. because.

wtf?
Yeah, that's different than what I'm talking about, the boss that I'm thinking of, didn't know a thing about what I did, she just hired me, and why I was working for her, I will never know, it was a very strange situation. Anyways I don't have to worry about it anymore, thankfully.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts