Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
sn69 said:
I'm buying a damned lottery ticket on the way home today.
71 million for the super lotto..... I'm buying one too, need 15 minutes of good fantasy time right about now........

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
KenB said:
Letting someone go.
"Letting" someone go sounds like the person wants to go. Sort of sounds like putting a dog "to sleep." Happily, I've never been in a position where terminating an employee was part of my responsibilities. I don't envy anyone who has to do it.

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Just think of the day after you collect...

"Hello? Mr. Sachs, yes I'd like to place seven bikes on order please. Yes, seven. One for each day of the week. Oh, incidentally, how many different shades of red can JB paint them in?"

That would be right after I peed on my boss' desk.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Well I'm just assuming it will go as it has the last 4 years or so--no guarantees I guess. In any event it's never anything to write home about--usually 3-4%. So if you slack off and just "do what's expected" you get 3%--if you work your a$$ off and go above and beyond you can sometimes get another percent or 2--but that's only if the "bell curve" looks OK to the higher-ups--in that case a manager needs to knock some employees down in order to make the curve come out OK no matter how good of a job they did. And they wonder why motivation is a problem. ;)
I had a business professor about a year ago that railed against the "bell curve". If you have five employees that are exceptional but the bell curve says there can only be two rewarded for being exceptional, what happens? The three that don't get rewarded either stop working hard or leave. Any manager that thinks should realize that you want the best and brightest. You want a curve weighted toward the high end, at least if you want to be successful. What company says "we want to perform just like all the other companies"? None. So why restrict employees by enforcing mediocrity? You want to attract and keep the best, but you can't do that if you have some pre-set formula for what percentage of employees are put into the "best" group.

By the way, my company does this exact thing. The take each employee's review to make a bottom quartile, a top quartile, and everything in between. Then your raise is based on which group you are in. Additionally, they prorate if you have been in your position for less than a year. So if someone got promoted six months before reviews and was still in the top quartile come review time, he or she would still have the raise cut by 1/2 since he or she was only in that position for 1/2 the year.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Any meeting does it for me. We have mandatory monthly procedure stand-down that are a real snooze-fest. We also have weekly safety meetings where we here how actual workers got hurt - like that has anything to do with my IT job.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
I hate doing any of the administrative type stuff that takes time away from my real work. You know, filling out forms, meeting with people, reading personnel crap, doing time sheets, and other assorted b.s. like that. Fortunately, my current job doesn't require much of that. I'm allowed to do my work with more or less no supervision and very few time-wasting meetings. I've been fortunate in that all of my employers over the past 15 years have treated me like an adult for the most part.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
mickey-mac said:
"Letting" someone go sounds like the person wants to go. Sort of sounds like putting a dog "to sleep." Happily, I've never been in a position where terminating an employee was part of my responsibilities. I don't envy anyone who has to do it.
It sucks. I've had the very unpleasant task of letting a few people go as part of a downsizing when a company I worked for lost a major client and could no longer afford the head count. They were all good people and I wrote them all letters of recommendation and used some of my personal contacts to help find them new jobs. Subsequently, they all landed on their feet -- one of them left the job they took after that and relocated to work for me with the company I now work for. (I hope that speaks positively for me as a boss.)

Even when someone deserves to be canned, it still sucks.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Well,

Cafeteria work can be grueling, on your feet 8 hours a day, slopping mashed potatoes and gravy, hauling tubs of macaroni salad. Oh, and don't get me started on the specialty sammiches - I actually nicked my finger with the knife once! Have you ever had pepperocini juice in a cut - I'lll tell you, it hurts! Then when people complain because of a little blood on their bread, ingrates! Next thing you know they're going to make me cover my face when I sneeze, or wash my hands more than twice a day.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
snapdragen said:
Well,

Cafeteria work can be grueling, on your feet 8 hours a day, slopping mashed potatoes and gravy, hauling tubs of macaroni salad. Oh, and don't get me started on the specialty sammiches - I actually nicked my finger with the knife once! Have you ever had pepperocini juice in a cut - I'lll tell you, it hurts! Then when people complain because of a little blood on their bread, ingrates! Next thing you know they're going to make me cover my face when I sneeze, or wash my hands more than twice a day.
Hey! Can you get a move on! We're starving! The line is a quarter mile long here! Where's my specialty sammiches! ;)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well...update from today--my boss basically rewrote what I wrote. Not really giving a sh*t and being glad to be relieved of the responsibility of rewriting such a thing to begin with I said it looked great and agreed with the changes--being realistic I know she and I will be the only ones that read it anyway. She gave me an Outstanding rating (which is just cool with me--one step away from the best rating possible of "excellent" which to get you have to singlehandedly save the company a billion dollars or so--at least it's not "meets expectations" or "poor") and said I was eligible for a pretty good bonus if the rating went through.

I told her if I got the bonus she recommended I'd take her to lunch on it. Then again the VPs have to give final approval for this kind of thing and there is that matter of the Bell Curve so I'm not spending my bonus just yet. ;) At least this pointless exercise is over for another year. :)

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
My least favorite work activity is reading Steam's posts. nm

Bocephus Jones II said:
I'm not sure what is worse. A paper cut across your eyeball or writing your one page plan and performance highlights letter for the year. Sitting here staring at my screen and trying to thing in corporate-speak so my boss can put her usual comments and give me my usual raise and I can be done with this maddening exercise in futility! .......

interfaced, synergies, collaborated, cross-functional teams.....AHHHHHHH!!!!! My brain is starting to smoke from the strain...........................................
nmnmnmnmnmnmnmnm

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
In order of revulsion:
1. Study Hall duty
2. Lunch duty
3. Meetings

41 - 53 of 53 Posts