Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching around a little for a leather saddle bag. I have 2 Brooks pro saddles and looked at the Brooks bags; sorry can not justify buying a $75 ave price +shipping bag to haul around a few tools, jacket, candy bar/gu pack, and a few other items.

I think i have found what I'm looking for @$18 each. I'm gonna buy 2 @ that price and I'll give a review once i have them in hand. I'm a stickler for detail, I will say they look great and retro yet functional.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Care to Share?

Lone Gunman said:
I have been searching around a little for a leather saddle bag. I have 2 Brooks pro saddles and looked at the Brooks bags; sorry can not justify buying a $75 ave price +shipping bag to haul around a few tools, jacket, candy bar/gu pack, and a few other items.

I think i have found what I'm looking for @$18 each. I'm gonna buy 2 @ that price and I'll give a review once i have them in hand. I'm a stickler for detail, I will say they look great and retro yet functional.
How about a link? I agree on the price of the Brooks bags, but aren't they just lovely? I saw a kid's copycat Schwinn department store handlebar bag that was black leatherette with fringe....however, I thought it would look better on that new Stingray than my bike, so I left it alone. Would hate for someone to mistake MY Schwinns for Harleys!

Somebody mentioned those old-style tubular bags with plastic stiffeners in the "Are bags dorky" thread. I managed to locate some on Ebay, multiple colors and everything. I am thinking about getting one just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You asked, I'll spill

I wanted to get mine first and evaluate before crowing they are the best thing since canned beer. The bags I ordered this AM are from a company called bikerbags. www.bikerbags.com They are designed for motorcycles. Look under the heading of windshield bags, my guesstimate is that you could use them in front or rear. I chose the bag coded WS8 It is very plain, black leather and has a simple button clasp. I was reading up on PeterWhitecycles site about the straps and how you use them, (you would think it was self explanitory) he mentioned that the buckles should be inside the bag and wrapped around a dow rod for support. From the looks of these leather bags, they appear to be stiff thick leather like a Brooks saddle. The size described seems perfect, 4"X 8". I have looked at the various sized bags from the jumbo sized Carradice to the smaller ones along with the Brooks bags. If this bag works out, I'm gonna be real happy, it's a steal. I usually carry in my bags 3 allen wrenches, 2 tubes, 2 spare inflators, an inflator with cartridge, 2 tire irons, a rag, small screwdriver and maybe disposable gloves. Anything else i have in the jersey pocket like cellphone/ID/pepper spray/food. I think there will be extra room in the bag for a few small items like arm warmers or rain jacket.

I love finding alternative ways or items usable for cycling and not having to pay outrageous prices for a name branded item like a Brooks bag. The only drawback; it only comes in black. Fine by me, all my saddles are black.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got this for spare inner tube and tools, fantastic!

Brooks n.1!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey, FBB! Can you help ID this bag?

Wondering if anyone can ID this bag by looking at the pics? I just won this on Ebay, and once I have some answers and approximate values, I may tell you how much I paid for it. :) I am trying to figure out how the steel frame works. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't identify but

My $18 leather handlebar/seat bags came in. The leather is thick stiff stuff, think camera case or police leather. To use one of the bags on the rear i had to fab up a small frame out of a brass rod i got at Home Depot. Funny thing is it looks very similar to the frame that came with the bag you won, right down to the curved metal ends of the frame. You will need to figure a way to attach the frame to the seat rails. Otherwise the bag will point downwards and be swinging all over the place. Gonna get some pics and post.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Lone Gunman said:
My $18 leather handlebar/seat bags came in. The leather is thick stiff stuff, think camera case or police leather. To use one of the bags on the rear i had to fab up a small frame out of a brass rod i got at Home Depot. Funny thing is it looks very similar to the frame that came with the bag you won, right down to the curved metal ends of the frame. You will need to figure a way to attach the frame to the seat rails. Otherwise the bag will point downwards and be swinging all over the place. Gonna get some pics and post.
I'll be interested in seeing how this comes out. I might like to do the same!

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
slowmo1 said:
Wondering if anyone can ID this bag by looking at the pics? I just won this on Ebay, and once I have some answers and approximate values, I may tell you how much I paid for it. :) I am trying to figure out how the steel frame works. Any suggestions?
You've got me beat, but someone on the Classic Rendezvous list might be able to help you:

http://www.phred.org/mailman/listinfo/classicrendezvous

Good luck!

- FBB

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks, FBB. I will try them...registered and waiting for email confirmation. Like anyone else would, I can't help hoping I pulled off a "trash to treasure" purchase. Knowing what Brooks bags bring now, I know if it is a nice, serviceable bag, I got off very light. If it proves to be valuable, I may have to turn around and resell it. :p

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
slowmo1 said:
Thanks, FBB. I will try them...registered and waiting for email confirmation. Like anyone else would, I can't help hoping I pulled off a "trash to treasure" purchase. Knowing what Brooks bags bring now, I know if it is a nice, serviceable bag, I got off very light. If it proves to be valuable, I may have to turn around and resell it. :p
When you get approved for Classic Rendezvous, ask lots of questions about "What is this?" But be careful about questions regarding "How much is this worth?" The list owner is very touchy about such things. I'm not sure why. Use the Classic Rendezvous list to find out what it is, then use the information you get from them to find out what it's worth from some other source.

Good luck.

- FBB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.