Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Breaking news: a fantastic bicycle adventure is just a train ride away! Enjoy the NEW roll-on Amtrak service from Washington DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Hartford (or stops in between!), and we’ll pick you up at Greenfield, MA – just three miles from the start/finish of Cycle Massachusetts!

We’re the Friendliest Ride in the East, and we’re delighted to welcome cyclists for a weekend or a whole week in early August – we cater to all types of schedules. With long, short, and super-short riding options each day, we also cater every riding style. (the ride is in Massachusetts and also Vermont and New Hampshire too) We also believe in having fun off the bike, so we offer delicious meals, nightly happy hours and campfires, and fun activities like skydiving (for real!) and kayaking! We also have a New Rider Reception this year, to make everyone feel welcome.

All friendly cyclists are welcome at Cycle Massachusetts (a benefit for Massbike) – sign up or learn more at http://www.cyclema.com!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Despite the quasi-ad tone of this, glad ot hear Amtrak is allowing uncrated bikes now on one route. Now if Greyhound will just grow up and install roof racks, I might travel inter-state again. I gave up cars in 2007, coping with butane evaporation out of the RFG just got to be too much of a hassle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I've heard, a lot of it is due to the advocacy work of Adventure Cycling Association. As someone who had a horribly frustrating time with Amtrak to get to a charity ride years ago, this is really exciting news to me.

Although my goal is to get people to sign up for Cycle Massachusetts, which is the largest annual donor to Massbike, I am also genuinely excited that people from Washington to NYC can get to New England with their bikes, car-free. Such a cool thing.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
From what I've heard, a lot of it is due to the advocacy work of Adventure Cycling Association. As someone who had a horribly frustrating time with Amtrak to get to a charity ride years ago, this is really exciting news to me.
Adventure Cycling has played a key role in this, but so have a bunch of other advocates who have worked closely with Amtrak to make this happen. This includes LAB, the National Association of Railroad Passengers, Allegheny Trail Alliance, VA Bike Fed, and many others. And most of all finding the sweet spot in Amtrak where people have wanted to make it happen. And guess what? What cyclists have been telling Amtrak for years is true - they are seeing great ridership response to enabling bikes on board.

More to do but lots of progress: https://www.amtrak.com/bring-your-bicycle-onboard

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I was just in Warwick MA (pictured on your website) and that area riding today. What a beautiful area to ride in.
Had brief look at what I could find on your site about routes and that looks really great. Both the paved and dirt road riding around there is some of my favorite.

Does anyone know the particulars about taking a bike on Amtrak? That's definitely cool but I'd be a little concerned about handing over a high priced road bike to some baggage guy for fear of theft and having it tossed around and ending up with a bent der hanger or whatever. How does that work?

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
I was just in Warwick MA (pictured on your website) and that area riding today. What a beautiful area to ride in.
Had brief look at what I could find on your site about routes and that looks really great. Both the paved and dirt road riding around there is some of my favorite.

Does anyone know the particulars about taking a bike on Amtrak? That's definitely cool but I'd be a little concerned about handing over a high priced road bike to some baggage guy for fear of theft and having it tossed around and ending up with a bent der hanger or whatever. How does that work?
Train-side check in means you give your bike to the baggage handler. The bike is then rolled into the baggage car and secured in a rack (bike hangs by the wheel). If that bothers you, then you can box your bike. Those are the two choices. Amtrak is certainly aware of the price of bicycles and generally handles them well, but of course anything can happen.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Train-side check in means you give your bike to the baggage handler. The bike is then rolled into the baggage car and secured in a rack (bike hangs by the wheel). If that bothers you, then you can box your bike. Those are the two choices. Amtrak is certainly aware of the price of bicycles and generally handles them well, but of course anything can happen.
Thanks.

As a Boston resident with stations within walking distance I'm pretty excited about this. I do have a car but train in and out of the city to go check out some new territory on a bike would be much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.