Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my little side hobbies is LED lighting, this guy has taken it to a new level. It's strong enough to melt a CD case. One for the helmet and one for the bars would be great. Carrying the battery wouldn't be that easy. We wouldn't need to blind drivers that cut us off, we could melt them.

100W LED
 

·
Lemur-ing
Joined
·
18,987 Posts
But will they add weight? Are they carbon fiber? Will it change the C.G. of my bike and affect handling?
 

·
Captain Obvious
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
you have a lot of hobbies.
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,602 Posts
I have a theory about lights. Totally untested of course, so I guess that makes it a hypothesis? Or is it just a musing?

Anyway, bike lights, no matter how bright, are tiny little things. I wonder if they'de be more effective / visible if they were a relatively large disc, like a big round car headlight?
 

·
Lemur-ing
Joined
·
18,987 Posts
Creakyknees said:
I have a theory about lights. Totally untested of course, so I guess that makes it a hypothesis? Or is it just a musing?

Anyway, bike lights, no matter how bright, are tiny little things. I wonder if they'de be more effective / visible if they were a relatively large disc, like a big round car headlight?
Possible, but it's also only as good as the next idiotic driver who half watches the road when he stops texting.
 

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
I had seen those multi-emitter LED modules on eBay but never could think of a way to dissipate the heat generated by them in an application for use as a bike light. This guy clearly is nuts, and that is good. He is pushing 7,000 lumens, whereas the brightest light setup I’ve made is around 700 lumens. I approve of the insanity. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
VaughnA said:
One of my little side hobbies is LED lighting, this guy has taken it to a new level. It's strong enough to melt a CD case. One for the helmet and one for the bars would be great. Carrying the battery wouldn't be that easy. We wouldn't need to blind drivers that cut us off, we could melt them.

100W LED
That's a whole different level, that is beyond bright.
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Leopold Porkstacker said:
I had seen those multi-emitter LED modules on eBay but never could think of a way to dissipate the heat generated by them in an application for use as a bike light. This guy clearly is nuts, and that is good. He is pushing 7,000 lumens, whereas the brightest light setup I’ve made is around 700 lumens. I approve of the insanity. :thumbsup:
Oh gawsh, another homebuiler! I finished my 3*Seoul P4 light a few weeks ago. Less than 80 bucks for a 600+ lumen light.
 

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
VaughnA said:
Oh gawsh, another homebuiler! I finished my 3*Seoul P4 light a few weeks ago. Less than 80 bucks for a 600+ lumen light.
I am going to be bringing all my built-up home-made light setups to the CampCoop gathering this coming weekend so that people can see, first-hand, just how inexplicably bright they are, as there are still many skeptical people out there. Maybe, just maybe, since I am freshly unemployed, someone may want to buy one or more of the setups I have built—I’m not looking necessarily to make money above and beyond the cost of materials (unlike the mass-produced lights out there), rather, I am an honest guy and have been making honest products, that quite honestly are bright, durable, and affordable.
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Leopold Porkstacker said:
I am going to be bringing all my built-up home-made light setups to the CampCoop gathering this coming weekend so that people can see, first-hand, just how inexplicably bright they are, as there are still many skeptical people out there. Maybe, just maybe, since I am freshly unemployed, someone may want to buy one or more of the setups I have built—I’m not looking necessarily to make money above and beyond the cost of materials (unlike the mass-produced lights out there), rather, I am an honest guy and have been making honest products, that quite honestly are bright, durable, and affordable.
I've considered doing the same thing myself. LED's are definitely the way to go. I'm using a modified version of the 'Achesalot' seen on MTBR. It blows my dual dinotte 200L system away for about 1/4 the cost. I think I've got a system for building them pretty easily. Too bad I won't be out there for the ride. Maybe I'll poast a couple shots of my creation and you can do the same.
 

·
Adventure Seeker
Joined
·
5,115 Posts
The color temp of that LED seems too blue. I wonder if there are any that have a more natural white? That would be more visible from distance.
 

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Peanya said:
The color temp of that LED seems too blue. I wonder if there are any that have a more natural white? That would be more visible from distance.
Yes. Yes. The beautiful thing about LEDs is that you can get the colour temperature as you wish. Cool white, “neutral” white, and warm white, in varying degrees of “warm” and “white”, in terms of colour temperature (Kelvin), thanks to modern binning of LEDs. Generally, the bluer LEDs are more cost-effective, since more expensive phosphors are required to get that awsomeness-factor of “warm” light that only incandescents were thought to be able to get before the LED revolution came along. What this means is that let’s say hypothetically you want 600 lumens of light output-- the blueish spectrum would cost you (hypothetically) $22, the neutral white would cost you $30, and the warm white would cost you $48 or more--it seems as though all white LEDs are really blue LEDs with a special phosphor coating, the “warmer” colour emitting phosphors are more cost-prohibitive per lumen of light output.
 

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
VaughnA said:
I've considered doing the same thing myself. LED's are definitely the way to go. I'm using a modified version of the 'Achesalot' seen on MTBR. It blows my dual dinotte 200L system away for about 1/4 the cost. I think I've got a system for building them pretty easily. Too bad I won't be out there for the ride. Maybe I'll poast a couple shots of my creation and you can do the same.
For sure! My latest creation is actually a red LED taillight setup that utilises a single 1000mA 3021 BuckPuck controller running two 10W 9-emitter red LEDs in series. I honestly don’t know what the lumen output is, but it pretty much is a “light cannon”, even in daylight. I came up with the idea for “extra-safe daytime riding” overkill safety considerations in mind, so as to distract the average SUV-driving cellphone-talking otherwise-oblivious driver here on SF/SJ Bay Area roads. So far, it seems as though I am quite visible in broad daylight. Total cost (excluding 14.8V 4400mAh Li-ion battery pack) is around $40, and I would wager high high high dollars that it is brighter than ANY mass-produced “brightest” bicycle tail light out there. I need to find a way to photograph just how bright it is; it is exponentially brighter than my single 190-lumen LXHL-LH3C red LED fed via two parallel-wired 700mA 3021 BuckPucks (1400mA current total) on only 1000mA. I know, I know, “show us pictures, Dr. Storkpacker, Sir!”.

Soon. Soon.
 

·
Adventure Seeker
Joined
·
5,115 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
Yes. Yes. The beautiful thing about LEDs is that you can get the colour temperature as you wish. Cool white, “neutral” white, and warm white, in varying degrees of “warm” and “white”, in terms of colour temperature (Kelvin), thanks to modern binning of LEDs. Generally, the bluer LEDs are more cost-effective, since more expensive phosphors are required to get that awsomeness-factor of “warm” light that only incandescents were thought to be able to get before the LED revolution came along. What this means is that let’s say hypothetically you want 600 lumens of light output-- the blueish spectrum would cost you (hypothetically) $22, the neutral white would cost you $30, and the warm white would cost you $48 or more--it seems as though all white LEDs are really blue LEDs with a special phosphor coating, the “warmer” colour emitting phosphors are more cost-prohibitive per lumen of light output.
I always get color tempurature in light bulbs wrong. I know that for TV's, 6500 is the goal to have a "pure" white. However, 6500 in a light bulb usually looks too yellow (if I remember right) I really like the output of Halogens. Get a LED like that, and I'll be happy :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top