Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone here ever try running the Maglite LED flashlight as a headlight? I placed one (two AA batteries) on the handlebars for a test the other night but the flying bugs were so thick I didn't want to stay outside and adjust it. Just curious if anyone has tried it and compared it to either a Fenix flashlight (that have been heartily recommended here) or something similar. For $25, its awfully bright from what I could tell. Maybe a slightly narrow pattern but seemed like alot of throw.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Done that. The good- it's cheap. The bad- it's not really enough light to see by. Don't get me wrong, they're great lights for 'being seen,' or a last ditch backup. I consider the Dinotte 200L or any misc. 20+ watt halogen system the minimum for seeing.

I just noticed your avatar. If you live in the country where there's zero outside light maybe you will have enough light to see by with a pair of Maglites. The less 'background' light you have the less light you need. It sounds odd, but your eyes do 'adapt' to the bright pools of light under streetlights. If you pop out of one of those into darkness with lights that aren't bright enough it's like riding into a closet.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I have one of the Luxeon K2 equipped drop-in bulb replacements in my three C-cell Maglight, and it’s a whole lotta light. I couldn’t imagine the sheer bulk of it on my handlebars, but I sure am into the light output aspect. For $20, it’s a righteous bulb upgrade.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I replaced the bulb on my old AA Maglite with an LED, but it is not nearly as bright as my Fenix light -- even on the lowest setting. The Fenix is worth every penny you spend on it, and is much less expensive than cycling-specific lights. It is so much brighter than my Maglite there is really no comparison.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.