Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw my giving a college friend a ride to DC as an opportunity to hook up w/ another commuter on this board, Johnny2Bad. He was a gracious host in giving the lay of the land, cueing me in on which communities are bike-friendly, and planned out a 40.0 mile route from Leesburg to Purcellville which gave me an idea of the riding up in N. VA.

The WO & D trail (a former RR trail converted into a bike path) seems very well-maintained & planned, with water fountains & bike shops along the way to make the trip easy if you have to stop for repairs. When there are buckles in the pavement (not many), they seem well-marked w/ hi-viz paint to warn you. Unfortunately, in the summer, it sometimes gets a little crowded w/ the usual joggers, etc., but not excessively so.

I was really grateful for getting in some mild hill work. As much as my love for climbing has not diminished since growing up w/ plenty of it, it was pretty obvious that I now live in a FLAT area. John didn't complain at all about my slowing him down due to my only getting 6 hours sleep, cadence sensor not working & throwing me off, left-hand SPD pedal not engaging, etc. Or maybe it's due to my slacking off on saddle time by having moved to a 1.6 mile "commute" to school & recently having bought a _ _ _- take your pick!

#1- Parking may be a problem even in a small town like Purcellville for cars, but not for cyclists.
#2- One of the 2 or 3 LBS's we saw along the trail.
#3- Near the old train station in Purcellville.
#4- A good reason to bring along a rack & panniers for a Thursday ride to Purcellville!
#5- Noone on the car lot- why buy a car when you ride a bike?
#6- Do lock up your bike- even the pens at cash registers are chained down!
#7- "We're pulling for you"- maybe California Tortilla is trying to attract cyclists?? They did allow me to bring my bike inside, as there was plenty of room.
#8- Tasty recovery meal.
#9- One of the few things I don't like about my new-to-me lighter bike compared to the 11-year old Bianchi steel ride is that it's not as fast on descents. Still, 39.2mph is now a new PR, and definitely motivation to get to an area w/ steeper hills like the Blue Ridge Parkway or something. Hey, when you live in a coastal area, such speeds are really a thrill!

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
39mph isn't anything to sneeze at. Come out and visit us in my neck of the woods and even with that light bike I bet we can get you up to 55mph. :)

Mexican food is the best ride food ever.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Ridgetop said:
39mph isn't anything to sneeze at. Come out and visit us in my neck of the woods and even with that light bike I bet we can get you up to 55mph. :)

Mexican food is the best ride food ever.
If he can do 39 mph on or near the W&OD Trail, 55 mph will be no problem in your part of the world. :) Unless he hit some hills I don't know about, the area around the Trail is relatively flat.

Now, I have to admit, even on mountain descents, I never have hit 55 mph -- my personal record is somewhere near 50 mph. I would be willing to try to hit 55 mph on a straight descent, but most of the mountain descents I have done have curves and switchbacks -- something that you don't want to do at 55 mph.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Nice report lx. Thanks for taking some pictures. I never do that. It was good riding with you. And yeah, I don't know WTF is up with California Tortilla and those stupid 10 lb chains on the pens. They probably think it's a funny gimmick, but it's just a PITA.

The steepest road we were on was Woodburn Rd. Harmony Church was the rolling, straight road. I think I hit about 42mph at some point during the ride, but I had to spin it up pretty good to get there.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ridgetop said:
Come out and visit us in my neck of the woods and even with that light bike I bet we can get you up to 55mph. :).

Hmmmmm... I take my last Final Exam next Monday, July 28th, have to be here in VB on August 12th, and then don't start class again til 21 August... plus, it's cooler in the mountains! :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.