Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
noob roadie :)
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was riding along and my left Dura Ace crank arm just fell out. My setup is a Ridley Xnight using PF30 to 24mm adapter cups and Dura Ace 7900 cranks. I suspect the problem is the adapter cups are too wide for the frame and the splines on the cranks don't engage far enough. For example, the pre-load adjuster only engages for a thread or so, which is way too few.

To fix the issue, since the spline on the left crank arm is stripped a bit, I bought a compact BB30 Red 22 crankset and my question is which bottom bracket I should get.

I'm thinking about picking up a set of Chris King PF30 bottom bracket and the installation should be very straight forward right? Is there anything else I should watch out for?

Best,

Ming

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes, installation of a Red BB30 into a King PF30 is straightforward. Assuming you have a quality press, those CK cups will go in smoother and tighter than any to come before them, and offer you years of noise free operation. May need a wavy washer on the non drive side, may not. See how they spin.

·
noob roadie :)
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, installation of a Red BB30 into a King PF30 is straightforward. Assuming you have a quality press, those CK cups will go in smoother and tighter than any to come before them, and offer you years of noise free operation. May need a wavy washer on the non drive side, may not. See how they spin.
Great stuff. Thanks for the post. I've ordered a set of CK BB and it should be pretty easy to install.

I'll probably have a shop put in the BB because I don't have a BB press at my disposal in Baltimore.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Great stuff. Thanks for the post. I've ordered a set of CK BB and it should be pretty easy to install.

I'll probably have a shop put in the BB because I don't have a BB press at my disposal in Baltimore.
This really should be in 'components/wrenching'.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts