Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left hand shifter quit working this morning. Sora triple. I don't know what to do. I can't shift up or down. I need help.

·
Registered
337 Posts
PensFan_87 said:
its the outer big ring. I meant I can't move either the paddle or thumb shifter.
Leave it there. You'll get stronger!

In all seriousness, I have no idea how to fix your problem. I'm just giving you a hard time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oroy38 said:
Leave it there. You'll get stronger!

In all seriousness, I have no idea how to fix your problem. I'm just giving you a hard time.
Yea I guess i will take it to the LBS on Monday. Sucks because its supposed to be low 80s tomorrow

·
Registered
21,541 Posts
Two possibilities

PensFan_87 said:
My left hand shifter quit working this morning. Sora triple. I don't know what to do. I can't shift up or down. I need help.
It might just need a flush out with something like WD-40 to remove built-up gunk and debris. Also, it might be that your cable has frayed inside the shifter and the broken strands are hanging up on the internals. Do a close visual inspection and try the solvent flush.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
If it's an older 8-speed Sora bike, and it turns out to be a bad shifter (not likely, but possible) it can be replaced with a Shimano R-500 shifter. I didn't like the thumb buttons on my Sora bike and replaced both of my shifters with R-500s.

The frayed cables is the more likely problem. That has happened to me on one of my other bikes.

·
The Cube
1,108 Posts
i just had a left 105 shifter do the exact same thing...5 miles into a 50 mile moderate to notable climbing race. its probaly frayed/shot and not likely serviceable. i'd agree that you should get it ready to take to the shop you got it from to see if you can get it replaced on warranty, and then shoot a bunch of penetrating lube into it to satisfy your inner need to try to fix your own stuff. if by a miracle it works, keep going to the bike shop, tell them what happenend and they should replace it before it happens again. BTW, my shop kicked butt and replaced my shifters, with Ultegra because not area distributors had 105.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts