Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to hear from those drivers that get on a multi lane highway and then go right to the left lane and stay there. Most times barely or not even going the speed limit. Why do you do it?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Because they're idiots and they can. They're the same ones who use a quarter mile on ramp to enter oncoming traffic at 30 mph, and then, yes, proceed over to the far left never ever allowing faster traffic to pass.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Knew a guy years ago who bragged about doing it. Called it "regulating speed". He was dick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Speed limit vigilantes, can't stand it.
'Slower traffic keep right' is actually a law in many places and plodding along in the left lane is dangerous as cars back up, follow closely, then someone taps the brakes and causes a multi-car pile-up. That or they just get pissed and pass in unsafe ways.
Lack of turn-signals is my only higher-ranking pet peeve.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Because they're idiots and they can. They're the same ones who use a quarter mile on ramp to enter oncoming traffic at 30 mph, and then, yes, proceed over to the far left never ever allowing faster traffic to pass.
That bugs me so much , also if your going to cut me off you better be going faster than me not slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
Not that it matters to those described in the OP, but that practice is unlawful in my state. The left lane can be used for passing. Though it is unlawful, it occurs and is irritating.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
If many things get you so worked up, maybe you should talk to a professional.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I would love to hear from those drivers that get on a multi lane highway and then go right to the left lane
I'd like to hear from them too. Seems like it'd be a lot easier to go left to the left lane.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Everyone here in the DC area does it. Even i do it. There's so much traffic here that you rarely achieve the speed limit in any lane.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Everyone here in the DC area does it. Even i do it. There's so much traffic here that you rarely achieve the speed limit in any lane.
It's one thing when there is so much traffic you just fill every spot and there are no gaps at whatever speed.

It's a total other when the 'driver' camps in the left lane going speed limit or slower and no cars in front.. to control traffic.. or????

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
One of the roads I ride on a LOT, is a 4 lane divided highway. The speed limit is 65. When I'm in my car, sometimes I do speed control, deal with it.

If we are going to have laws, you should be living within them, unless they are unreasonable. Which I don't think is the case in this instance.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
OP, next time cut them off while giving them the finger then brake check them multiple times until they either move over or will try to race you/follow you. Make sure you have a fast car though... lol

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
One of the roads I ride on a LOT, is a 4 lane divided highway. The speed limit is 65. When I'm in my car, sometimes I do speed control, deal with it.

If we are going to have laws, you should be living within them, unless they are unreasonable. Which I don't think is the case in this instance.
This is a myopic understanding of the bigger picture. While you may be following the law by not speeding, you could rightfully be cited for impeding the normal flow of traffic, and your defense to a judge that you wanted to enforce the speed limit would not fly as the two entities would be mutually exclusive in such a situation. Plus, you don't have legal authority to enforce a speed limit.

Additionally, if you caused a collision you could be held partially liable by your insurance company, because they would certainly get a hold of the police report indicating your negligent actions. Also, if any of the parties involved had a dash camera, that could incriminate you as well. It's simply smarter to move right when you're not passing and save yourself the hassle.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
My interpetation of the law is different than yours. It may not be agreement with yours, but it may be with 12 jurors who are sick of the government not enforcing they laws they are sworn to uphold. I am not enforcing the law, I am just driving down the road.
The OP wanted a response, I gave him one.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would love to hear from those drivers that get on a multi lane highway and then go right to the left lane and stay there. Most times barely or not even going the speed limit. Why do you do it?
I hate that. They have no idea whats going on around them. I always use the left lane for passing.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
My interpetation of the law is different than yours. It may not be agreement with yours, but it may be with 12 jurors who are sick of the government not enforcing they laws they are sworn to uphold. I am not enforcing the law, I am just driving down the road.
The OP wanted a response, I gave him one.
It's also against the law in many states and for good reasons.

Number one is it's a safety issue. You are not the judge of why and when another vehicle needs to go faster then the speed limit and as such might need to pass you. When you park yourself in the left lane you might well force other drivers to pass you by using the right or center lane. That's dangerous and is the primary reason for laws requiring you to move right for faster moving traffic.

Number two is you are not a cop. You have zero right to play one and decide that everybody should be doing the speed limit, which is what you are doing by parking you're stupid a** in the left lane.

How about being considerate of other motorists and just move out of the way ?.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts