Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK all, hoping for some advice and information...been riding since August but just started training for a century scheduled for the Spring. I've gone through the initial saddle soreness when I first started and up until now, I have been really comfortable and happy with my set-up and saddle (PB forte pro). Just last week I rode 40 for the first time and somewhere around the 3/4 mark, my left sit bone really started to let me know it was hurting (really hurting). Ironically just the week before I rode 35 and did not experience anything like that at all (smooth sailing). Is this normal as I increase my ride length? Does my body just need to get used to that long on a saddle like it did when I first started out? Is there something I need to try (lotions, gels)? Do I actually need to consider a different saddle for such a longer length?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry for the double post...how do I delete one?

OK all, hoping for some advice and information...been riding since August but just started training for a century scheduled for the Spring. I've gone through the initial saddle soreness when I first started and up until now, I have been really comfortable and happy with my set-up and saddle (PB forte pro). Just last week I rode 40 for the first time and somewhere around the 3/4 mark, my left sit bone really started to let me know it was hurting (really hurting). Ironically just the week before I rode 35 and did not experience anything like that at all (smooth sailing). Is this normal as I increase my ride length? Does my body just need to get used to that long on a saddle like it did when I first started out? Is there something I need to try (lotions, gels)? Do I actually need to consider a different saddle for such a longer length?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would not base a decision on one ride.
Do you stand up every so often when riding? If you ride with others, ask them to look and see if 1. you are sitting straight and 2. you are rocking when you pedal. If no to one, you may have a leg length discrepancy, or you may just sit funny and may be able to correct it if you think about it. If yes to 2, your saddle may be too high.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
You might still be adapting to the longer distances. You might also be asymmetric and could possibly benefit from turning your saddle a little one way or the other from "dead straight."

·
Registered
963 Posts
Ive got saddles that are great for 80 or so miles but then they start to kill.

Recently Ive gotten into radonneuring type rides so i figured I'd give the Brooks saddles a go. I went with a swift but I think I shouldve gone with a the wider B17. Im gonna give the swift some more time....

·
Registered
223 Posts
You might still be adapting to the longer distances. You might also be asymmetric and could possibly benefit from turning your saddle a little one way or the other from "dead straight."
This ^^^^, you do go through an adpation phase and it may go away. i got used to it but it does flare occasionally and when it does its the left sit bone.

anway have someone watch you from behind to see that you are not sitting on the saddle at a weird angle.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I'm no math wizard but 3/4 of 40 is 30, so if you did 35 miles one day in relative comfort and 30 another and experienced discomfort, ride duration is probably not the issue.

I've found that many riders aren't positioned or pedal in perfect symmetry (me included), so I agree that's one area to look at. Being just your left sit bone would lend credibility to that, I'd think. And ,as we ride, we fatigue, so I wouldn't rule out (poor) form as a possibility.

Also, think about any changes between the two rides. For example, different shorts/ bibs?

IMO, of all the possibilities, I'd think a form/ fatigue related cause is most likely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input all. I went out and made some minor tweaks in my riding today by making sure I stood up a bit more on my climbs, slid off the saddle a bit when going downhill, and leaned differently here and there...for the most part I think I was very conscious of my bone so I made sure I moved it around. Did just under 45 this afternoon and it definitely did not feel like it did last week; much better. I feel as if I could have ridden a little longer if not for the sun going down earlier than I anticipated (and I was starting to get cold). Let's see how it feels next week :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.