Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone here can shed some light on this.I searched and found nothing.As of late I have been having what appears to be an allergic reaction on the top of my quads after longish rides in the heat.

This first started last year when I tried out a pair of Castelli bibs with what appeared to be silicon leg grippers.I corrected this by flipping the grippers over with the label out so there was no silicon contact on the skin and the irritation stopped(the shorts ended up being crap IMO anyways).However,now my Santini bibs, which is the brand I have been riding for several years now and have tens of thousands of miles in,are starting to cause this "irritation".

It is just on the front of my quads and goes away after a day or so but it turns extremely red and is annoying for several hours afterwards.

Anyone have anything similar to this or any comments on this?

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
I am guessing that if they were latex and there was an allergic reaction, it would be far more serious than itchy....

· Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's always a comedian.:p

Actually,it isn't under my shorts.It is above the knee on the bottom of my quad below the leg grippers.I did a little research today and I think it may be a heat rash and that it may be caused by the silicon/rubber-like-stuff in the grippers not breathing and trapping sweat under them.

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
It's happened to me with a pair of Zoot shorts. It's usually only my left leg. I have a prescription cortisone cream I'll use on it if I need to, but it usually goes away after a day or so. From now on I'm only buying shorts w/o grippers.

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
During my ride 2 weeks ago.. 10 hours in my shorts... I noticed I had similar irritation on the tops of my quads.. I'm just guessing the mixture of sweat.. dirt... sunblock... sun... rubbing... and anything else I got on my legs during that time simply messed with my skin. A few days later the redness and such was gone. No problems since.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
Does it itch? If so, it can certainly be contact dermititis and thus a cortisone type cream (RX or otherwise) will help, but you need to mitigate the cause. If it dont itch there are certainly other possibities. Now granted, I returned two pair of Castelli bibs because even after going up TWO sizes the leg grippers were practically cutting of my venous system. I have skinny legs and have no idea why some companies think there is some utility in tight leg grippers. Incidentally, If you have a true latex allergy, then bike shorts would likely not be your only problem as there is latex in a lot of things you use everyday. Before you get allergy tested, just try different shorts, sounds like your trying that anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.