Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Thursday, the weather was kind of crappy, so instead of going for a bike ride, I just went for a walk instead. After about an hour and a half to two hours, I started heading home, and as I was standing and waiting to cross the street, I suddenly felt a really bad pain in my right leg. Like some kind of an achy cramp right behind my knee. I figured maybe I just pulled a muscle or something and hobbled home.

On Friday, when I woke up in the morning, I still had that pain but it seemed to subside as I got up and moved around a bit. I was fine for a few hours until I went to the grocery store and then it suddenly started to hurt again. This time it was worse and wasn't just behind my knee. There was a line of pain extending from the back of my knee, down the side of my calf, to my foot. Just standing still made it hurt the worst. It also hurt to put weight on my foot, but if I walked around for a bit, it felt better.

Then it went away for a few hours and caught me by surprise again later that evening. I was getting ready to ride on the trainer when that happened. I kind of debated whether or not I should ride like that, but since there is a biking event I'm signed up for today, I decided I'd rather find out on the trainer whether or not I can ride than wait until I'm out on the road with a bunch of other people. So I rode for about an hour. I felt fine the rest of the night.

This morning, I got up and after about a half an hour of moving around, the pain came back again. I have no idea what is causing this or what it could be. Should I be worried? Should I just ignore it and wait until my leg fixes itself? I never had a pain like this before, but I also haven't been biking that long either, so I don't know if this is a common thing or not.

· Registered
268 Posts
I got the exact same pain, going from the back of my knee to the top of my ankle, the day after I did a 60 mile time trial trying to catch my group ride that I had arrived late for. Kept them in sight for 30 miles hoping that they'd take a pee break. They never did.

I put it down to some type of a weird charley horse. Kept me off the bike for 5 days. Was fine afterwards. Put it down to getting in shape and overextending oneself a bit too much.

Did you do a hard ride the day before? Lose a lot of salts? A badly fitting shoe, especially around the heel, can also be a big contributor.

Don't worry too much, but if it doesn't vanish within a week then get it looked at. And eat and drink plenty on future rides.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. :)

I didn't think to mention it in my first post, but I did recently switch to a new saddle about 2-3 days before the pain started. The day before I actually did a very slow ride because the wind was gusting so badly and I ended up being on my bike longer than I am used to. My shoes fit pretty well, though.

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Can't remember right now, but there is a VERY small muscle that runs from behind knee to back of heel. It has nothing to do with knee stability and lies under the calf. It is easy to strain if you are not propery warmed up and pain can 'move around' from behind knee to calf to behind foot. Rest and ice behind knee and calf for a couple days and it should go away. Stretch your calf nice before exercising...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.