Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leicester has officially won the Premier League this season.

The magnitude of this achievement is pretty hard to describe, and for neutral EPL fans like me it is probably the greatest thing in the universe.

It's like some CAT5 racer who's really a substitute teacher winning a monument or something. I don't know if that's a good analogy, but seriously it is crazy, yet awesome.

P.S. Even if you don't like/follow soccer, try to understand this is *crazy* awesome.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Leicester has officially won the Premier League this season.

The magnitude of this achievement is pretty hard to describe, and for neutral EPL fans like me it is probably the greatest thing in the universe.

It's like some CAT5 racer who's really a substitute teacher winning a monument or something. I don't know if that's a good analogy, but seriously it is crazy, yet awesome.

P.S. Even if you don't like/follow soccer, try to understand this is *crazy* awesome.
as someone who doesn't like/follow soccer I wanted to give it a fair shake and consider this as being truly awesome. After considering it, I decided I don't really care because its, well, soccer

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Yeah pretty good to see a small club beating a giant. It's like a AAA baseball team owned buy Thais buying a MLB franchise and winning the world series with not much of a cash injection salary wise. Can they do it another year? It's LIVERPOOL in 2017!!!!!!!!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
5000 to 1. Unlike our sports when you suck you go to a lower division. EPL is like baseball where you have the haves vs the have nots. Well the frigging have nots pulled one over and I hope there's a few Leicester fans that dropped a hundred quid on the books

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
5000 to 1. Unlike our sports when you suck you go to a lower division. EPL is like baseball where you have the haves vs the have nots. Well the frigging have nots pulled one over and I hope there's a few Leicester fans that dropped a hundred quid on the books
48 million for LC, top 4 teams all around 200 million.

LC was bankrupt at least once, and almost multiple times iirc. They were almost done as an organization. It's quite the rise.

·
Non non normal
10,101 Posts
It was shocking to see it unfold. EPL viewership seems to be growing in the states. I love to watch the game. You can see such a huge difference in the game when compared to MLS. Go Liverpool. YNWA

Reactions: kiwisimon

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
It was shocking to see it unfold. EPL viewership seems to be growing in the states. I love to watch the game. You can see such a huge difference in the game when compared to MLS. Go Liverpool. YNWA
My son is an Everton fan and has drawn me into the fan-Dom as well. It was also fun, especially early this season, watching Chelsea flirt with the fear of relegation. Quality of play in this league is miles ahead of MLS, a pleasure to watch, even without an intimate knowledge of the game. Congrats to LC.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I've been watching EPL for almost 2 decades. Nothing has pleased me more than this.
I think it is good for the game

·
Non non normal
10,101 Posts
I've been watching EPL for almost 2 decades. Nothing has pleased me more than this.
I think it is good for the game
I can remember watching EPL almost 40 years ago. I thought is was cool they had a team from Nottingham Forest. They showed the EPL and the German league. I think it was on a uhf channel but can't be sure. Flyers Hockey, EPL, The Orioles, Wide World of Sports, and The Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom were the best stuff on television.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I wonder if all the Euro wannabes in the US who don't know the first thing about socc, excuse me, Football, will be trading in their ManU jersey for Leicester City? Or had they all switched to Barca before this?

Whatever, that is pretty cool that they hung on to win it.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
I can remember watching EPL almost 40 years ago. I thought is was cool they had a team from Nottingham Forest. They showed the EPL and the German league.
I did watch "Soccer made in Germany" on PBS in the early 80s, which is how I got my start learning the game as it should be played.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
I wonder if all the Euro wannabes in the US who don't know the first thing about socc, excuse me, Football, will be trading in their ManU jersey for Leicester City? Or had they all switched to Barca before this?
Front runners jump on the latest winner. Loyal supporters support the club through thick or thin.

What I see my students wearing are ManU, Chelsea, Barca, Arsenal, and Real Madrid, for the most part. But I see others on occasion. Anyone wearing a lower tier team is usually an international student.

But I see more and more every year. They are pretty common now, compared to even a few years ago when I noticed every single person who wore one.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I can remember watching EPL almost 40 years ago. I thought is was cool they had a team from Nottingham Forest. They showed the EPL and the German league. I think it was on a uhf channel but can't be sure. Flyers Hockey, EPL, The Orioles, Wide World of Sports, and The Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom were the best stuff on television.
It was on PBS. The EPL is only about 25 years old but it was essentially the same thing back then and I know what you mean.

Back then the English league was a real mess with run down stadiums and out of control hooliganism. The stands at an English league game were much like you saw on the ice at those Flyers games you were watching.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Front runners jump on the latest winner. Loyal supporters support the club through thick or thin.

What I see my students wearing are ManU, Chelsea, Barca, Arsenal, and Real Madrid, for the most part. But I see others on occasion. Anyone wearing a lower tier team is usually an international student.

But I see more and more every year. They are pretty common now, compared to even a few years ago when I noticed every single person who wore one.
pretty much off topic here but; I see a lot of NY Yankees stuff in Europe when I go there. But in that case I think they just think NYC, the city, is pretty cool so like the NY symbol and aren't pretending to be Yankee or baseball fans.

I've been to a couple Barca games and noted there were a ton of foreigners there to see the game as a tourist attraction. But both games didn't really matter for anything....from what I understand the rivalry games do get some serious crowds of real fans.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Not sure I can comprehend the achievement..I will claim ignorance. Don't get me wrong, I love sports and will do some looking to understand the post. I do like this......pretty cool, soccer stuff;

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Not sure I can comprehend the achievement..I will claim ignorance. Don't get me wrong, I love sports and will do some looking to understand the post.
Personally I think it's being overblown and it's about like the Reds or A's winning the World Series. Which would be a huge deal but not that far fetched. The are one of the lower payroll teams, but not rock bottom, have some decent players but not full of stars and big names. Kinda like the A's and Reds (just to pick a few examples out of a hat)

IMO it's nothing like the 1980 US hockey team where that was truly boys against men and amateurs against essentially pros. But I understand an elimination tourney is nothing like winning a season (no playoffs in the EPL).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.