Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a new frame, a Lemond 07 Buenos Aires for my wife, but have no background with carbon and torque wrench specs..........and fear I will over-tighten and damage something. She would love that. I broke her other frame by overcranking the clamp on the indoor trainer........so, there is precedence. I purchased some new components, hoping they may have the torq specs, and they each say to contact the manufacturer..........and with Lemond that feels like a dead end. The main issues for me are the seat post clamp (seat post itself is aluminum) and the front derailer. any ideas?
Thanks

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ok, I just checked the LeMond Owner's Manual that came with my 2007 frameset. Here are the stated torque values you're interested in (my comments are in italics):

Seatpost Clamp: 85 to 125 lb-in (9.6 to 14.1 Nm).
With a quality aluminum seatpost (like a Thomson), the stated range should work fine. Personally, I would just use the average of 105 lb-in.

Front Derailleur Clamp: 40 to 60 lb-in (4.5 to 6.8 Nm).
I would error on the low side since this is a carbon frame. Start at approx. 25 lb-in and then go for a test ride to see if the FD moves when making shifts. If more clamping force is required, gradually work your way up to higher torque values (you shouldn't need to exceed 40 lb-in).

Hope this saves your marriage! :thumbsup:

-Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm looking at getting some new parts for the same 07 BA carbon frame.
Does anyone have the specs for the cranks and brake calipers from Lemond. (I called Trek but they no longer support Lemond).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts