Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
no-1 said:
and spline Al/Carbon frames...not Steel/Carbon.
Does this mean the steel/carbon Spine Design frames will be replaced by aluminum/carbon? Or that they'll offer both combos?

(Interesting to me because I just bought a leftover 2005 steel/carbon Buenos Aires.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I take it thats the end of the all steel frames and the steel carbon. So who dose that leave for steel bikes. As you can tell I'm a steel lover and I am scared. I just bought a Sarthe and will buy an other before the go the way of the Yugo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a Sarthe, too (BTW - I love it). But I don't think there's a need to be afraid of steel going away - though we'll probably have to pay more b/c it'll be custom-ish. Many big names still make steel (Colnago, Bianchi, etc), as well as almost all custom makers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So, no there won't be anymore steel/carbon spline...aluminum/carbon spline will replace it...
although no more campy on Lemonds.
( last years Sarth were the last ones to have campy components..so sad.)
haven't been able to find it on the web yet. sorry.
more to come ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up for us. I'm still sceptical of this revamp though. The shop I work at has recieved no such info of this.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
no-1 said:
although no more campy on Lemonds.
( last years Sarth were the last ones to have campy components..so sad.)
Same story for the Buenos Aires. I was disappointed to see the 2006 Sarthe and BA are wearing Shimano, and luckily was able to find an unsold 2005 Buenos Aires in my size. (Although I must say: while I really like the Creamsicle orange of the 2005 Sarthe, I'm not sure I at all like the same color on the 2006 BA, so I'm glad I was able to find the yellow 2005 variant).

Would it be safe to assume the Campy bits were dropped because buyers in the Sarthe/BA price range simply weren't interested? I was told that there was another fellow who was seriously interested in the bike I bought, but he wanted the Campy parts switched out to Shimano.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
so more info....

i loved my 2004 Zurich.... So Al/carbon makes more sense, to me.
Also i heard the spline technology cost a lot to produce....
...just thought this would be a fun/interesting topic to talk about.
hope everyone is riding...spring is in the air.
enjoy

·
Registered
80 Posts
I saw the bike at the top of Brasstown bald Saturday. Lemond was there & i got him to autograph my hat! After the stage Lemond made a quick getaway by riding the new bike down the mountain without pedals.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What were your impressions of the tube shapes, geometry and overall build quality? The bottom bracket and asymmetric chain stays look interesting per the cyclingnews.com article.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just another odd shaped tubed bike. That's the current thing to promote. Once the masses have those there will be some other gimmick. Like disk brakes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You work at the shop and you don't know?

Trek has had that 5000 from taiwan for a little while. The made in usa signifies that it hit the spray shop in wisconsin before it was packaged for assembly.

I like to think of the Triomphe as the compact frame for madones. That tri/tt bike your talking about is the dualzone design they've been talking about for a little while. Its a lightweight tri bike that has some strips on the front tubes for the same reasons that golf balls and zipp wheels have dimpels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Woohoo! I was wondering when Lemond would offer a cool bike again.

I just built up a steel Lemond Zurich and really find it comfortable with great geometry for descents and cross winds. Never had an interest in the spine design as it seemed half baked.

Lemond is an american hero and it's cool Trek knows this. Can't wait for a test ride!! Hopefully it's as sweet a ride as my steel while offering a 3lb instant diet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
forget Lemond, he talked junk about lance;the poster boy for american cycling. I would never buy a Lemond bike. I would however ride one if i was sponsored. Just go buy a trek, it is the same company but as long as greg doesn't make any money i'm happy with it.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Forget Greg??? Never. He was the "poster boy" for American long before that guy from Texas hit the scene. And (in my opinion) has much more class than the other guy will ever have.

·
Registered
372 Posts
chrislh said:
forget Lemond, he talked junk about lance;the poster boy for american cycling. I would never buy a Lemond bike. I would however ride one if i was sponsored. Just go buy a trek, it is the same company but as long as greg doesn't make any money i'm happy with it.

Greg's the man brother. I got 2 Lemonds and they kick butt. Lance is and was a farce...:eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
pjr said:
I hate to say this...
But dosen't that bike resemble the BMC pro machine.
I don't see the physical resemblance??

And the review I read of the BMC made it sound like a edgy pro bike, rather than an all-day-smooth bike that Lemond geometry would offer.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts