Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cannondale CAAD5 frame that I use for road races and some triathlons. I run a lot for Army stuff and occasional half marathons, so I mainly ride to cross train and domestique a CAT4 friend. I have lately been very intrigued by the "steel is real" crowd. What do they know that I don't...

Anyways I have come across a deal on a Lemond MJ frame, the older one with all steel, and I'm curious if people think it would offer me any advantages or comforts? How nice is 853 Pro vs. CAAD5?

I have DA/Ultegra components and Speed Dream wheels on my cannondale. It would/could just transfer them over, so this is just a frame comparison. Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Both are great bikes, and while I have never ridden a a Lemond, I have ridden steel frames on the road and on the track. C-Dales tend to feel like they accelerate faster and in general react quicker (strong pedal stroke, climbing, sprinting, etc.). Steel rides a little softer and is less reactive IMO. Just seems slower. One thing though is that it does ride more comfortable and you won't feel every little pebble on the road like you will with any aluminum frame.

My preference, the C-dale.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The grass is always greener... Don't waste your money. I have a great steel bike and a caad 5. Keep the caad 5. The steel is not that much of an improvement, just different. If I had to let one of mine go, I think it would be the steel bike. I'd make an exception for a R. Sachs, though. Go Army !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts