Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Great deal, but only if the shop hasn't down spec'ed the bike somehow. Unless you have a huge box of quality parts or access to a killer discount, I do not believe you could build a comparable new bike for 1K. Local Seattle CL just had an '06 listed in great shape, no racing with low miles for $900 and it sold in two days.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
Yes---even though the idea of including disc brakes on that bike is a little odd. Not sure what they were thinking--since disc brakes aren't legal in cyclocross. I guess maybe it's for the commuter bunch?

· Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
MarvinK said:
Yes---even though the idea of including disc brakes on that bike is a little odd. Not sure what they were thinking--since disc brakes aren't legal in cyclocross. I guess maybe it's for the commuter bunch?
only illegal in UCI races, right?

most people aren't racing UCI and they are great if you are using you bike for more than just cross.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
colinr said:
FFS STOP PERPETUATING THIS LIE
It's not a lie--they are not allowed in UCI-sponsored events. Granted, that won't apply to most of us. Frankly, I'd rather avoid it since you never know if you're going to show up at a race and they are going to follow the UCI rulings. Plus, if you're not allowed to use them at higher levels, why get used to them in the first place?

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=466

http://www.dirtragmag.com/web/news-article.php?ID=170

Anyhow, the disc brakes coming with most cyclocross bikes are crappy mechanical ones anyway.

· raging results nerd
925 Posts
MarvinK said:
Frankly, I'd rather avoid it since you never know if you're going to show up at a race and they are going to follow the UCI rulings.
Really, you never know? Have you had experiences where non-UCI races/categories just randomly decided to enforce UCI rulings?

MarvinK said:
Plus, if you're not allowed to use them at higher levels, why get used to them in the first place?
Because 99% of cross riders are never going to enter a UCI race. Same reason my car has ABS even though anti-lock is banned from F1.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
bopApocalypse said:
Nice analogy.
I think it's a good analogy... if you're talking about why your commuter (or even your mountain bike) has disc brakes. A cyclocross bike is a cyclocross bike. An F1 race car is an F1 race car. I guess it's a better analogy if you actually take your regular car out for regular races--just not a an official pro F1 level.

My car has ABS, too--and doesn't pretend to be an F1 race car. My cyclocross bike is a cyclocross bike, even if I'm not a racing internationally. My mountain bike has disc brakes--and doesn't pretend to be a cyclocross bike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.