Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a local LBS send in a warranty claim on my Lemond Poprad.
Originally they took pictures and sent in the claim, but the Trek rep couldn't make a decision so he requested the frame be sent to Trek.

The Trek rep says the break was caused by damage (none that I recalled), and said they would not honor the warranty. They offered a crash replacement with a Fisher Persidio but they want me to pay $699 + shipping for it. I don't have the money, so I asked if they could return the frame to me, because I could possibly get it repaired since it is steel. I'm being told that Trek has gotten rid of my frame (without my consent) and have left me with nothing but the option to buy a new frame, for which I don't have the money for. Not sure what exactly to do. Did Trek have the right to get rid of my frame? The way I see it, I still owned the frame. If they were not going to replace it, then I should have the option to get it back.

Your thoughts?
Thanks for the feedback

View attachment 156125

View attachment 156126

·
Old Skool
719 Posts
Ouch

Sorry to hear your story. I have a Poprad and love it. From the photos it is hard to say why the tube failed. However:

1. That is a very unusual place for a tube to fail. Usually they fail near the welds where the stresses are concentrated.

2. The spiral crack is not something I have ever seen. That said I have to believe that Trek has a good reason denying the claim. After all, they had the frame to physically inspect. This would certainly tell a lot more than the photos.

The above not withstanding, I agree that you should have had the option of having the frame returned to you. Your point that it was not theirs to discard is well taken. That said, I question the feasibility of getting it repaired and repainted for less than their crash replacement offer.

My best advice at this point is to try to pick up a decent frame cheep on eBay. Good luck to you.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
I don't work in a warranty department, but I do see some bike warranty claims, and that's a weird one. There is are a few ways that, if a frame is going to fail because of materials or workmanship, are relatively common.

I've never seen anything remotely like that, except from damage.

You have a good point about it being fair to get your destroyed frame back, though I don't know the legalese of the warranty stuff, but, realistically -- you are not going to get that frame repaired, I mean, right?

This isn't the old days when people welded up mild steel tubing, and that's not just a crack, it's total failure.

If you honestly believe it was a warranty in your heart of hearts, I might ask one more time by a polite letter to a manager at the warranty department that they reconsider. At least you might get a more detailed explanation about what went wrong. From pictures, I can't tell much more.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
When you send things in for warranty inspection, you lose ownership. You are GIVING them the frame/bike of your own will.

There is nothing you can do. I'd be very surprised if after telling you that they'll reimburse you (assuming your state complies with these "warranty loopholes")

I hope it wasn't really good metal...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never realized that I would lose ownership simply by sending it in for warranty.
Any legal experts out there that can confirm this?

Tubing was TruTemp Ox3 platinum. So it was good tubing.

·
Worker Ant
199 Posts
you need to get a copy of their warranty policy for that year frame and read it carefully. most people never read the warranty and there may be wording in there to the effect that you may loose ownership when it's sent in for a warranty replacement. but it still sounds weird that they would do that without asking.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
scmaddog17 said:
you need to get a copy of their warranty policy for that year frame and read it carefully. most people never read the warranty and there may be wording in there to the effect that you may loose ownership when it's sent in for a warranty replacement. but it still sounds weird that they would do that without asking.
Agree, except that information is probably contained in the contract drawn up between Trek and Trek dealers. In that case, it would have been good for the dealer to tell the OP that by agreeing to have the frame sent to Trek, he agreed to relinquish ownership. I'd ask the dealer for detailed information regarding Trek warranty return authorizations.

And yes, the damage looks very much like a blade- or saw cut. But who knows, I can't be sure just seeing the photos.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
I would call Trek 1st thing monday morning and speak to the warranty department directly

·
Behind on post count
305 Posts
I'm another interested Poprad owner.
I would have also thought they would have contacted you before disposing of the Frame.
Did you have something attached to the downtube? I see a black band around the "L".
Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Pinarello = Explode!
114 Posts
The photos are not detailed enough to say anything about what caused that. I just dont like how they stole your frame!! You payed for it. Safe to say I wont be buying a trek this lifetime.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I've never seen a frame fail there. It's not in a heat affected zone of a weld. It could have seen some twisting forces but the tube's usually pretty strong against that sort of force. Assuming it's not as some have suggested a saw blade cut through the tube, I'd say you have a legitimate failiure. MY suspicion is since LeMond is GONE from Trek, Trek is trying to avoid warranty coverage on LeMond frames, hence the pricey switcheroo with the Gary Fisher. Fire off a note to everyone you can; the Trek rep, Trek, etc. and tell them if they can't come up with your frame or a more realistic deal, you'll merely spread the bad word on every bike forum on the 'net.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Trek would have stood by a valid warranty claim. I do feel that you should have gotten your frame back and you could have taken it to a custom steel frame welder for repair and repaint but that brake looks very suspicious of foul play than a simple production mishap. It just seems weird that such a break or failure would occur without a catastrophic event, that IMHO! For the price of that replacement frame and a few hundred more you could have gotten a custom steel Sycip.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I assure you that the frame was not cut by a blade or saw.
I was out riding when the frame broke. Lucky for me I was able to stop after feeling the bike go squirrly on me. It wasn't catastrophic because it came apart in a spiral. I've never seen a break like this before either.
The black band is dirty adhesive from some tape that was applied to the frame at one point to attach a "mud flap"

I wasn't even thinking about the warranty when I brought the bike into the LBS. My intention was to have the headset removed and retire the frame. The LBS was the one who suggested to submit a claim, so they simply took pictures. Then they got back to me and asked for the frame to be sent in, I brought it in, and was simply told to expect a response in a week or so.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
OX3 is really nice. Prolly recycled it for cash money. But don't worry, fixing the bike would have been a big hassle, it's not lugged but TIG welded which makes tube replacements really hard if not impossible.

Call 'em, and if that doesn't work, ask your bike shop to call them. If they didn't tell you that you could lose ownership of your frame sending it in it's on them in my book. Hopefully this book of mine also has some sort of legal value...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Seriously, call them, and report back with what they say.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Def. call.......don't let the issue drop, Let us know what they say.

·
Registered
414 Posts
As a fellow Poprad owner, I hated seeing these photos! As others have said, that is really an odd failure in both the location and spiral nature of the fracture.

Was it possible that internal rust was a factor? Like most modern steel frames, the TT OX Platinum tubeset has very thin walls (which taper to a mere 0.4mm or 1/64"). Therefore, it wouldn't take much corrosion to compromise the integrity.

To put my mind at easy, please provide more details. Things like your weight, how many miles were on the bike, ridden in harsh weather conditions, frequently used off-road, etc.

BTW, considering this is a crash replacement quote, I think $700 for a Fisher Persidio frame is too high. However, keep in mind this may be for a 'frameset' which includes a new carbon fork as well. If true, then that's a fair price and perhaps Trek could sell you just the frame for a few hundred less...worth investigating.

Good luck!

-Paul

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
In addition, you have to be aware "retail" framesets are insanely expensive compared to fully built bikes due to gruppo discounts.

If they don't give you a replacement, see if you can get a good deal for an entirely new bike. It shouldn't cost too much more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MSRP for the bike is just under $2000
The frame is listed as $1100 on the Fisher site.

In the end, I don't have that kind of money in this economy to spend for a new frame.
At least I still have my road bike to ride.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts