Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at several entry level bikes and I need recommendations on overall experiance with these bikes.

Lemond Reno
Felt F80
Giant OCR 2
Specialized Allez Sport Triple

I have heard good things about the Specialized frame. I enjoy biking, but am not sure how commited I will be over time, so I want to keep it under $1,000.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check out this thread

When shopping for a bike at a LBS, I've read you can bargain 10-15% off MSRP for current models.

I got 33% off my 2005 bike MSRP. Some people has gotten up to 40% though.

Bike is special ordered Specialized Allez Elite Triple for $800 at LBS. LBS says Specialized Distribution Center her in CA has 17 left (as of two weeks ago).

·
Banned
476 Posts
difference - in frames

I understand that the Felt and Specialized both use frames from Kinesis [and it would not surprise me if the Giant did too]

So I think you can compare the Felt and Specialized on specs and pick the pick deal; overall Felt seems to be better priced than Specialized.

However, the point on discount is well taken - you should expect at least 15% off MSRP - and at that you are still sure someone is paying less than that at another dealer. A 30% to 35% discount from MSRP seems to be more in line with what you can expect if you shop well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was at the same place you are around xmas time. I was deciding to go with a Felt F60, or a Specialized Allez Elite triple or a Cannondale R700. I went with the Felt F60 because it was for $1k for the closeout 2005 models and it had overall better components and and frame. The Allez and R700 only had 105 parts and not much carbon but the Felt had Ultegras and Carbon seat stays..

But one thing I have to say about the Felts, they can bring down the price compared to other brands due in part to the fact that they use "OK" wheelsets with their bikes. But most people tend to change the wheels anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
collectorvelo said:
I understand that the Felt and Specialized both use frames from Kinesis [and it would not surprise me if the Giant did too]

So I think you can compare the Felt and Specialized on specs and pick the pick deal; overall Felt seems to be better priced than Specialized.

However, the point on discount is well taken - you should expect at least 15% off MSRP - and at that you are still sure someone is paying less than that at another dealer. A 30% to 35% discount from MSRP seems to be more in line with what you can expect if you shop well.

Are you saying that you can negotiate anywhere from 15-35% off the MSRP of a new bike when you are shopping at an LBS?

·
Registered
432 Posts
sdkwan said:
I was at the same place you are around xmas time. I was deciding to go with a Felt F60, or a Specialized Allez Elite triple or a Cannondale R700. I went with the Felt F60 because it was for $1k for the closeout 2005 models and it had overall better components and and frame. The Allez and R700 only had 105 parts and not much carbon but the Felt had Ultegras and Carbon seat stays..

But one thing I have to say about the Felts, they can bring down the price compared to other brands due in part to the fact that they use "OK" wheelsets with their bikes. But most people tend to change the wheels anyway.
Actually as the way this bike market is in the US, it is actually only a small minority of people who change their wheels when they buy a bike. The vast majority of bikes are used for a while then gather dust in a garage somewhere. This is sad but true. I am sure it's true, in the circle of cyclists you associate with that the perecentage of wheel changers is higher, but not a majority.

·
keep rubber side down
624 Posts
Get a full gruppo.

The one with the less "house brand" rolling components. (hubs, bottom bracket, quality of shifters and brakes). Look a the wheels, but mostly hubs...
Then, look for the best quality seat post, stem, seat. That is where big companies kinda "cheat" on entry level bikes.

Frame? My opinion= get integral aluminium. You will have better over all quality for the $ than if you try to get the fanciest "carbon" multimaterial.

For lasting performance and eventual resale value: get the best componentry. At this prices, all frames are very equal.

( I ride a Giant TCR alu chosen on these principles; best money ever spent after 5 years now. Resale value aside... because so common, but still my excellent race bike! )

Whatever the bike, just ride it silly until you find out what works for you.

Bigbrotheriw said:
I am looking at several entry level bikes and I need recommendations on overall experiance with these bikes.

Lemond Reno
Felt F80
Giant OCR 2
Specialized Allez Sport Triple

I have heard good things about the Specialized frame. I enjoy biking, but am not sure how commited I will be over time, so I want to keep it under $1,000.

·
Banned
476 Posts
YES - paying close to MSRP is silly

asdaly3 said:
Are you saying that you can negotiate anywhere from 15-35% off the MSRP of a new bike when you are shopping at an LBS?

Just my ppinion; but buying a consumer product like a Bike, a Commuter, a TV, or a Camera and paying MSRP is a waste of money -- I think a 15% discount is not even close to enough off --

25% to 50% off list can be had on most consumer products

Large Stores and the internet have driven down prices on everything; and that is great for consumers and the economy

·
Registered
124 Posts
collectorvelo said:
Giant is the largest manufacturer of bicycles in the world. Their OCR 1 is a fantastic entry level value each year.

A quick read of this months Bicycle Mag's Buyer Guide might be worth your time too.

I would choose the best bike shop and decide that way.

·
Registered
896 Posts
i just bought an ocr2

I just bought a 56c OCR2. got properly measured and fitted to the bike by my LBS. only put on about 50miles so far, but I really like this bike alot. it responds very well. I weigh 205 and this bike is plenty stiff for me. my only complaint so far is in the 105 shifting. I feel like I have to push the levers too far to get a shift, expecially the front chainring.
BTW - I also just bought a specialized allez comp frameset which I will build out by stripping another bike of its campy mirage gear. should be an interesting comparison - let you know in a few weeks

tempeteOntheRoad said:
The one with the less "house brand" rolling components. (hubs, bottom bracket, quality of shifters and brakes). Look a the wheels, but mostly hubs...
Then, look for the best quality seat post, stem, seat. That is where big companies kinda "cheat" on entry level bikes.

Frame? My opinion= get integral aluminium. You will have better over all quality for the $ than if you try to get the fanciest "carbon" multimaterial.

For lasting performance and eventual resale value: get the best componentry. At this prices, all frames are very equal.

( I ride a Giant TCR alu chosen on these principles; best money ever spent after 5 years now. Resale value aside... because so common, but still my excellent race bike! )

Whatever the bike, just ride it silly until you find out what works for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
collectorvelo said:
Just my ppinion; but buying a consumer product like a Bike, a Commuter, a TV, or a Camera and paying MSRP is a waste of money -- I think a 15% discount is not even close to enough off --

25% to 50% off list can be had on most consumer products

Large Stores and the internet have driven down prices on everything; and that is great for consumers and the economy
The difference between all the other consumer products you mentioned and bikes is the margin. Believe it or not, retailers hardly make anything on bikes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Um ... bikes generally only get 30 - 40 margin. You don't generally see them marked down that much, at least in the LBS. Although deals can be had on previous model years. I'm not sure I've ever let a bike roll out the door at a 50% discount. Generally that would be less than I paid for it.

·
Banned
476 Posts
not all retailers are the same

some retailers pay more than others -- very big bike shops which buy large qty can get lower prices -- plus if a shop pays cash they can pay less -- this is what i have been told and it makes sense

plus some retailers do decide to make less on some items; in order to sell more of others

like - sell a bike at no profit to get the parts and service biz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts