Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
andre71144 said:
Just saw the Lemonds steel/carbon bikes, has anybody ridden one. tell me about the ride.
I am also waiting to see if anyone( in the warmer climates )has ridden a 2004 . Wondering about those sloping top tubes, just for show or better for go?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lemond

they offered to let me ride one but since it was starting to rain i declined. i actually like the look of the top tube and it gave me a little more standover clearance since i am verticaly challenged lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
I breifly rode a Zurich a few days ago when we got them in at our shop. Honestly, it rode just like a steel bike. Even though Lemond claimed it would, I still expected it to have the unique feel of carbon but it didn't. It basically felt just like the Lemond steel frame I had a few years ago. My only problem with it is that it only saved .3lbs off the high end all steel frame, but the price is significantly higher and at the same time they downgraded the wheels. I'd rather have the nicer (and lighter) wheels and $250 in my pocket then save .3lbs off the frame and have heavier wheels. Just my oppinion though.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Agreed. Take a very well built steel frame, chop the top off and replace it with carbon, and you have a normal steel and carbon frame that is priced much higher.

You can still get classic steel models, BTW.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Spunout said:
Agreed. Take a very well built steel frame, chop the top off and replace it with carbon, and you have a normal steel and carbon frame that is priced much higher.

You can still get classic steel models, BTW.

I work for a Lemond dealer, but even I will tell you that the classic steel models are not worth the money. They also went up quite drastically in price over the 03 bikes. Just not worth it. The best value in a Reynolds 853 frame right now is the IRD frame. It's very nicely built, has nice geometry, and rides very much like the classic 853 pro Lemond frames, but is about half the cost. If you are just looking for an 853 frame, you can get them for around $500 right now. They retail cheaper than the Lemond Classic wholesales at.

Russ

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Thanks Russ! With all of the other micro-thin steels (discussed elsewhere here) out there, Ifind 853 pro is a great compromise for stiff, light, and robust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts