Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Less Popular Brands with Good New Bikes?

448 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Lombard
Hi All, I am looking to buy my first hybrid bike for the goal of losing weight.

To be honest the good popular brands have really expensive bikes so I was going through some forums and couple of options are:

1. Buy a used really good brand bike.
2. Get a pricier bike from a less popular/big brands.

I have really little knowledge about bikes so not sure how to evaluate a good used bike.

My budget is around $600-$700. Please advise of some options for me. Thanks
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Are you planning to buy local? This is always preferable for folks just getting started, as the shop can help with questions, adjustments, fit, etc...
Reactions: 2
Are you planning to buy local? This is always preferable for folks just getting started, as the shop can help with questions, adjustments, fit, etc...
Yea I would preferably go to bike mart / Scheels or other local shops once I know some of the options.
Are you close to an REI? A neighbor has a CO-OP bike that he's happy with and they have mechanics and knowledgeable sales people on-site.

https://www.rei.com/c/hybrid-bikes

I would not be so quick to discount the big brands as they might represent better value on their component spec and frame quality at your price point. Check out the Cannondales at the REI site that normally retail for $800-1000 on sale for around $600-700. By big brand, I'm thinking of Giant, Specialized, Trek, Cannondale. You might be able to find a close-out or discontinued model at a good price. Just make sure the sales person doesn't talk you into buying a size that doesn't fit you for the sake of moving old stock.
Reactions: 1
REI is one of the better big sports stores. Their Co-op bikes f.k.a. Novara, are actually quite good. Other lesser known "sleeper brands" that are good quality are Jamis, GT, Scott and Felt. They are all worthy of your considration.
Reactions: 1
1 - 6 of 6 Posts