Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see some of these internet deals for nicely equiped no-name bikes (e.g. Scattante and Tommaso) and it seems like in some cases the components alone are worth more than the asking price. I'm wondering if any of you have ever purchased one just for the components to build another bike?

For example, this 2007 Tommaso Velocita with mostly Ultegra and similar quality parts is $1,039:

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.13187/.f?sc=11&category=110

I haven't priced out every component, but it seems like you would have to pay more than that if you're buying the parts without a frame. So if I'm getting a custom frame and building a bike myself, any reason I shouldn't buy a Tommaso Velocite, strip off the parts and toss the frame (or get whatever I can for it on Craig's List)? Am I missing something here? (wouldn't be the first time)

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Sure you can, as long as you're willing to go with specifically what they're offering. They're getting a volume discount you don't get as an average consumer. So you're almost certainly going to pay more.

What stops me from doing it is a) the wheelsets are often very low end, as are the other build components and b) I don't feel like taking the time to strip something down in order to build something up.

Add to that the fact that I'm more than likely going to need a different front derailleur (unless the cheap bike tube size is the same as the target bike) and a new set of cables (unless I'm lucky enough for them to be exactly the correct length) and bar tape, since it's really hard to re-use that if you have to strip it off to replace the cables plus the decision to ride lower quality stems, cranks, posts, saddles and forks and in the end I'd be left with a bike that would not be spec'd the to level I normally prefer.

All to save a few hundred bucks.

If you're going to buy one, just ride the cheap frame it comes with because chances are it won't ride much worse than the more expensive frame you're moving the cheap stuff over to.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Plenty of people buy the Motobecanes for the gruppos and sell the frames online... only to find that nobody buys the frame for over 100 bucks.

Either way, it's a nice way to save cash, assuming everything else fits on your other frame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.