Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Great White North
1,139 Posts
One of my biggest pet peeves is having to have a longer valve stem for certain wheels than others. My Fargo takes 48mm minimum stems due to the rims, all other wheels in the household take normal 25mm stems. The 48's stick out way too far on the other bikes, increasing the chances that I'll bust one off during inflation, so now I have separate tube stashes for different bikes. PITA.

I also make sure to replace the rim tape on every new wheelset that makes it's way into the household. A jumbo roll of gaffers tape makes it easy and cheap, 1 $5 roll of gaffers tape = dozens (if not hundreds) of wheels.

Plum

·
Great White North
1,139 Posts
dir-t said:
Agreed. I finally got around to drilling out the rims on my trail bike to accept Schraeder stemmed tubes. Now at least 4 of me and my wife's 8 bikes use the same tubes. If her road bike used 700 instead 650C wheels I'd be a happy man.
I am only buying 26" tubes these days, even though I have 26", 650b and 29" (700c) wheels at the house. No issues with durability IME with using a 26" tube in a 29x2.35 tire, a little air to help them hold their shape during mounting and I'm good to go.

It's that one stinkin bike that requires 48mm valve stems that gets me. Really makes me want to sell that wheelset and build another that doesn't need them, but that would require some motivation, which seems to be lacking lately as well.

Plum

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.