Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am cooking two major meals for Christmas. Christmas Eve is for 25 people and Christmas Day is for 10 people.

The menu has traditionally been small plates (7 courses or more) for Christmas Eve. This year it is a hodge podge buffet. Cream of crab soup with a salad starts off the meal. After that it is stuffed pork loin with red peppers and dressing, steamed shrimp, beef bourguignon, basil rice, mashed potatoes, green beans almondine, and buttered corn. There will also be homemade rolls.

Christmas Day will be a standing rib roast, Yorkshire pudding, roasted vegetables, and a good red.

What is in your oven this season?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Christmas eve, I have a couple lbs. of shrimp I'm going to steam. I bought a nice loaf of French bread at the bakery that I'm going to top with olive oil and a mixture of sautéed bell pepper, onion, garlic, mushrooms and some crumbled blue cheese then toss in the oven for a bit. I'm going to have a big batch of mulled wine in the crockpot. And there will be assorted cold items available as well. We've never planned an actual meal that night, we've always tried to plan things that can be made and eaten whenever anybody wants it. People pass through and can help themselves if they're hungry. Christmas day, I have no idea. Supposed to go to older daughter's house so I won't be cooking anything.

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts
Christmas Day will be a standing rib roast, Yorkshire pudding, roasted vegetables, and a good red.

What is in your oven this season?
Sounds amazing.

Yorkshire Pudding said:
Similar instructions were published during 1747 in the book The Art of Cookery made Plain and Easy by Hannah Glasse, with the name 'Yorkshire pudding'. It was she who renamed the original version, known as Dripping Pudding, which had been cooked in England for centuries, although these puddings were much flatter than the puffy versions made today.[SUP][2][/SUP]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannah_Glasse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannah_Glasse

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts
just picked up a bottle of that at 99Ranch a couple hours ago..:thumbsup:
Facebook, we follow them. Daughters love that place.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Just learned that the pizza place on the other side of town has a chef that makes amazing vegetarian meatless balls. Ordered a dozen..........damn they're more expensive than meaty meatballs!! :eek: Oh well, will send leftovers home with my vegetarian BIL, that's his gift.

Also have meaty meatballs, to go with the fancy ravioli assortment from Durso's. John will make his family's sauce. French cheese and dry sausage appetizers, sauteed broccoli as a side, fresh whipped cream and berries for dessert. Got a couple of pannetones as gifts (had to make the best of standing on line for 30min @ Durso's!)

Only seven people total, we're trying to keep it casual. We were out last night, John just walked in now after his company party (seems mostly sober! :p )

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Seven people plus a toddler and infant for us on Christmas Day. I'm doing braised beef ribs with a parsnip potato mash and leeks. Some roast carrots to go with that and a couple of other sides courtesy of others. Washed down with an Hermitage.

Probably pasta with cheese and butter with a side of frozen (still-frozen) peas for the 2YO...just like every other day :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
We're on the shared Christmas dinner--down the street with one of our neighbors, hopefully joined later by some more neighbors.

Since I have been recovering, I have been taking it pretty easy, and the menu is out of my hands.

My contribution will be Salmon en croute--call it salmon wellington--with hollandaise. Somehow the thought of this excited my tastebuds. Got a Gordon Ramsay recipe to try...

What I am really obsessing about--but probably will not make--is our family recipe for Christmas pudding. This was always my sister's responsibility, so I don't really know the recipe. Imagine a dense pudding (made more or less like carrot cake, including the carrots) with lots of dried fruit like a fruit cake, cooked in a pressure cooker. It was the veg version of a traditional Christmas suet/"figgy" pudding--served with whipped cream and caramel sauce (at lease when my sis and I were on the job), and it was completely intense--sweet, complex flavors and very rich.....

·
Registered
783 Posts
Christmas Eve......keepin it real simple. Put some dry rub on Country Style Ribs, poured 24oz BBQ sauce on em and placed in slow cooker. Sweet n Sour Coleslaw....Should be done just in time for round 2 of the football games today.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
The Eve, just the fam, pan seared Filet of beef, fried potatoes and a cold cucumber salad... cooking all day so... Christmas Day, keeping it simple for 15+. Keeping it local too. Jersey made cold dye artisan fusilli with an all jersey marinara. Beef and veal meat balls, all jersey raised. Gratinee of cauliflower with locatelli. Room temp mixed home roasted pepper salad with ricotta salatta. Home made rosemary and sesame foaccio. Winter greens and sprouted bean salad with a lemon Dijon vinegrette. Locally raised and made pork sausages. Light lemon dressed pear arrangement. A few bottles from Montepulciano.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
752 Posts
For the first time in almost 20 years, i am not cooking the entire meal. We are going to my wife's aunt's house this year.

My contribution to dinner is going to be:

slow roasted picnic shoulder (think fresh ham), it has been in a brine for 36 hours and is now in a 200f oven where it will be a large portion of the day. I may drop the temp down to 180 shortly. This will be served with a burbon coffee/mustard sauce.

Roasted brussels sprouts and baby carrots with pancetta, a family favorite.

EEC

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts
Back on topic

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts
back on topic

·
Super Moderator
40,842 Posts
Tonight was special, the first real meal since my kitchen re-do was finished: a rib roast, with dauphin potatoes, and a salad of lettuce with scallions, feta and dried sour cherries, followed by a persimmon fool garnished with mandarin oranges, bananas, and candied ginger.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
persimmon fool

That's not autocorrect, that's a real thing :arf:

Google search: dauphin potatoes

Gotta try this sometime. Along with ratatouille.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.