Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ari said:
Anyone know what the hematocrit limits for cross-country skiing are?
Okay, I answered my own question with Google. From the journal "Haematologica":

To dissuade the abuse of rHuEpo, some sports have
imposed upper limits on hematocrit and hemoglobin
[50% and 17 g/dL, respectively, in males, International
Cycling Union [UCI]) or hemoglobin [18.5 g/dL in
males, International Ski Federation (FIS)]. This strategy
has many pitfalls, which have been extensively dis-
cussed elsewhere and include: large natural variation
between individuals, postural effects on hematocrit,
risk of false positivity and ease of manipulation
through interventions such as saline infusion. In par-
ticular the upper limit of 18.5 g/dL adopted by the FIS
is difficult to understand: in a prospective study that we
are conducting on elite soccer players in Italy, no Hb
level greater than 17 g/dL has so far been observed.
In other words, the FIS only sets limits on hemoglobin, not hematocrit -- but the hemoglobin limit is significantly higher than that of UCI! The fact that 8 skiers managed to trip this upper limit, then, is pretty incredible.

Cheers,
Ari

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
ari said:
Okay, I answered my own question with Google. From the journal "Haematologica":

In other words, the FIS only sets limits on hemoglobin, not hematocrit -- but the hemoglobin limit is significantly higher than that of UCI! The fact that 8 skiers managed to trip this upper limit, then, is pretty incredible.

Cheers,
Ari
I get the impression that the Scandinavian skiers make cyclists look like amateurs when it comes to doping. Didn't some of them even get busted using that artificial hemoglobin?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
I get the impression that the Scandinavian skiers make cyclists look like amateurs when it comes to doping. Didn't some of them even get busted using that artificial hemoglobin?
No Scandinavians involved! 2 Americans, a German, a Canadian, 2 Belarus, a Frenchman and a Russian!

They're only suspended for 5 days so most won't be affected and will compete.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
ultimobici said:
No Scandinavians involved! 2 Americans, a German, a Canadian, 2 Belarus, a Frenchman and a Russian!

They're only suspended for 5 days so most won't be affected and will compete.
Perhaps I should have just said skiers :) Seriously those guys seem to get busted rather frequently for some really hard core stuff.

·
Banned
608 Posts
What I love about the situation is all their national organizations are bending over backwards to say that it can't possibly be doping. It's just unthinkable. No problem here. They are all just dehydrated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ethiopian??

What I want clarified is what an Ethiopian is doing cross country skiing ("Robel Teklemariam of Ethiopia"). :p

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
Ignatz said:
What I want clarified is what an Ethiopian is doing cross country skiing ("Robel Teklemariam of Ethiopia"). :p
The theory one coach from some Nordic country had was "Ethiopia has had such great success at endurance running events, why not see if we can harness some of that endurance and turn it into a lean, mean, XC ski machine?" Don't think it ever worked out like he thought.

It turns out that Teklemariam was born in Ethiopia, but actually grew up in Lake Placid, NY. Not that strange that he would have bee introduced to XC skiing.

Think of the Jamaican bobsled team a few olympics ago. Jamaica has produced a number of solid sprinters in track and field. The start of a bobsled run is essentially a short sprint, so why not give it a try? They have the horsepower, just need to gain the technical skill in the rest of the discipline (driving, braking, etc).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ignatz said:
Hey, with a last name that's an anagram of "I Am Telemark," how could he be anything BUT a skier? :)

Cheers,
Ari

1 - 9 of 9 Posts