Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cinelli M71 pedals - Designed by Cino Cinelli -Manual Lock and unlock. Slide in entry -the very first modern mass-produced clipless pedals.
These are totally wild - some brave folks still use them (on the track, mostly). Produced in the 1970s, they use a latching system that requires you to physically pull a lever to un-latch yourself from each pedal before you can remove your foot. We recommend them only as coffee-table discussion-starters, as you can really hurt yourself with these puppies. Includes the special proprietary cleats required for these pedals.
NOS Cinelli M71 complete clipless pedal set, $49.00, PD-M71

I have an idea for brakes but I'll wait to see what you all have to say.

Also with your suggestions try to post pictures.

And if anyone has a suggestion for the frame and fork we'll be building up let's see it.

this should be interesting....

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
This saddle and seatpost are sweeeeeeet! Gotta go on the bike. Gotta use the post too. Saddle looks like it might actually generate lift when pedaling out o' the saddle.....that'd help to improve ride quality.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is that made from silly putty?

looks like each cheek is sitting on someone's knuckles....

I think its safe to say at this point that the post and seat will definately make the cut!

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm liking the autoshift technology!

the patented Autoshift technology! Autoshift keeps you in the right gear by centrifugal force. As the rear wheel increases RPMs, two flyweights on the derailleur spin faster and faster – moving the chain to a higher gear. As you slow down, the wheels spin slower, causing the chain to move to a lower gear.

in googling Powercranks I think I found something I like ever better (made by the same company). They are called Rotor Cranks and they eliminate the "dead spot". I'm thinking the biopace (original model as they are the least circular) chainrings would fit on them.

This is shaping up to be a really fly ride(the rear derailler has fly weights too)!!!

We're still missing a good number of parts. Need more advice.....

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
is that made from silly putty?

looks like each cheek is sitting on someone's knuckles....

I think its safe to say at this point that the post and seat will definately make the cut!
Actually the designer of that seat wrote, "the top of the seat has soft "knuckles" that not only provide comfort but refresh your buttocks and relax your muscles by kneading your buttocks just like my prison cellmate did." Really. That's what I read.

·
Registered
66 Posts
And, italian threaded bottom brackets, the're made by satan. Stupid things thread the wrong way, so unless they're locktited down, they unscrew when you pedal. Huh?

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
American Classic micro front hub. Iddy biddy bearings, two sleeves held together by a quick release that works both as an axle and bearing preload device. Scary.

How about those Modolo Shift/brake levers currently out there. They work equally poorly on Campy or Shimano 7/8/9 speed, so they are incompatible with almost anything.

Fiber Flite spokes. Metal elbow and threads bonded to big fat carbon blades. Complex construction, break easier, less aero.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Howzitbroke said:
Fiber Flite spokes. Metal elbow and threads bonded to big fat carbon blades. Complex construction, break easier, less aero.
Good call on the Fiberflite spokes. We could cover the rear wheel with a Uni-Disc to increase aerodynamics.

Also, I would suggest adding a drink system I saw in Nashbar back in the early 90s. It was a water bladder that hung under the seat, and was pressurized with a tire pump. A hose ran up to the handlebar, and stuck up, aimed at the rider's face. After pressurizing the bladder, the rider could bite on the mouthpiece, and water would come blasting out of it.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Uni-Disc got game!

we'll definitely clip a uni-disc wheel cover to those fiberflite spokes. Only question is what color? They come in bright pink and bright green. OK Pink it is. I think uni-discs were only for rear wheels or we could do one of each.

I couldn't find a picture of that Nashbar pressurized hydration system on the web, sounds interesting.

The windshield wiper fluid reservoir in my old VW wesphalia was pressurized with an air pump (or you could hook it up to your spare tire). Cleaner blasted out for about the first 2 times you washed your windows then there was no pressure left. I chucked the reservoir.

Need more ideas everyone we're not quite there yet.

this thing needs some brakes (I have one idea but I don't think it'll make the cut), front derailler, stem, tires, probably some other stuff too.

Right now I'm thinking the modolo brifters are gonna beat out the campysyncros as they seem clunky on the inner side. But the brake part of them probably works decently so I don't want to say they're in for sure yet. Need more ideas.

What about the Mavic zap? I hear that wasn't too good.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Brakes don't matter as long as you use chrome plated steel rims but I remember some kind of cam action Dia Compe brakes that were pretty useless.

I think that the best part of this thread is the button to "Buy Products Mentioned in This Post" at the bottom of each one.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
we'll definitely clip a uni-disc wheel cover to those fiberflite spokes. Only question is what color? They come in bright pink and bright green. OK Pink it is. I think uni-discs were only for rear wheels or we could do one of each.
They also came in a black and white pattern that created some kind of visual effect when spinning. I'd vote for either that or pink. And yes, Uni-Disc <i>did</i> market them for both front and rear use. I've got a brochure showing a Klein MTB with two mounted.

As for the brakes, I've been thinking about it, and I think the contenders are the Campy Delta brakes, and the Scott self-energizing cantis. It all depends on what mounting options we have.

Did Girvin make a flex stem for road bikes? If so, we'll definitely need one of those.

Regardless of the frame, an Allsop suspension beam would be a fine addition.

There was also a prototype hubless front fork/wheel on the track scene years ago.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
I do remember the black and white uni-disc that made some kind of pattern. Let's put that on the front and the hot pink on the rear.

The campy croce d aune calipers were bigger, heavier and performed worse (I think)than the deltas. The croce is what I had in mind....but let's leave the calipers open at this time..need more suggestions. Not familiar with the Scott self energizing Canti's but this is a road bike so those won't be an option.

As far as the Girvin flex stem for road bikes, those crossed my mind also but I didn't reasearch if they made them for road bikes.

I'll second the Allsop suspension. That will look mighty nice with our knuckle saddle.

GR8 ideas we're getting there.

Oh yeah - what frame and fork are we building up anyways?
For the fork I'm nominating the Dedacciai or Specialized forks with elastomer inserts that don't do anything else than muck up the lateral stiffness.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do remember the black and white uni-disc that made some kind of pattern. Let's put that on the front and the hot pink on the rear.

The campy croce d aune calipers were bigger, heavier and performed worse (I think)than the deltas. The croce is what I had in mind....but let's leave the calipers open at this time..need more suggestions. Not familiar with the Scott self energizing Canti's but this is a road bike so those won't be an option.

As far as the Girvin flex stem for road bikes, those crossed my mind also but I didn't reasearch if they made them for road bikes.

I'll second the Allsop suspension. That will look mighty nice with our knuckle saddle.

GR8 ideas we're getting there.

Oh yeah - what frame and fork are we building up anyways?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts