Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gardens!

I have 2, one is 30'X32' and the other is 30'X50' giving me nearly 2500 ft^2 of vegetable garden. As of today I have spinach, radishes, leaf lettuce, carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, and shelling peas in the ground and most have emerged with the exception of the potatoes which I fear have rotted away from the excessive moisture and cool temperatures. I just looked at the soil temperature in my area and it is now warm enough to get some of the early sweet corn planted and possibly some green beans if we can catch a few day break from the rain. I just bought a bunch of heirloom tomatoes and a variety of pepper plants today and will put that stuff out in a week or so. Wish I had some pictures but it's been raining all day.

My goal this year is to can 75 quarts of green beans, 30 quarts of applesauce, 30 pints of salsa, 20 pints of tomato sauce, and 20 pints of tomatoes. I'm going to freeze as much sweet corn and other produce as I can. Hopefully this will keep us out of the grocery store for our vegetable needs for the year.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
I am jealous.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
very nice......So, when are you going to find time to RIDE once the stuff starts coming in?

( I used to have a 20 x 120 foot garden, so I KNOW how much work it is....mulch is your friend!)

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
This thread had so much promise... Till someone opens it unfortunately.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Touch0Gray said:
very nice......So, when are you going to find time to RIDE once the stuff starts coming in?

( I used to have a 20 x 120 foot garden, so I KNOW how much work it is....mulch is your friend!)

I'm unemployed, I have lots of time.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
firstrax said:
I got a small table top hydroponics thingy.

I've always been curious about hydroponics but on a larger scale. There are several empty big box stores in our area that have closed in the past few years. You could produce a lot of locally grown vegetables all year around and sell at a premium to restaurants and grocery stores. I just wonder if it would be economically feasible.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I'll play

I have five 4x7' raised beds, each with its' own riser for connecting micro-irrigation lines (drip heads for tomatoes, misters for lettuce, etc) which are controlled by the same head-unit that runs my lawn sprinklers. Just a push of a button in my garage and all my watering is taken care of (this is a big deal because our summers are so dry).

Most of my seeds are in the ground as of a few days ago, peas, spinach, and raddishes have sprouted. Cabbage is doing good on my windowsill and we'll plant that once we get back from vacation in 2 weeks.

It's snowing right now.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
DLMKA said:
gardens!

I have 2, one is 30'X32' and the other is 30'X50' giving me nearly 2500 ft^2 of vegetable garden.
pics or it doesn't exist.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
The back yard of my home is a giant green square of grass. I look at it like an artist does a blank canvas. The pump track option is out, so gardens it is!

Garden 1 (8' x 20') has been built and planting almost completed. It is full sun, which means blow torch conditions during summer here. We put in an orange tree and a tangerine tree, combined with ornamental plants. Pix soon...

Garden 2 (12' x 30') will start getting built within 2 weeks. It is partial shade, and we already have a cool pomegranate tree ready to plant on the sunny side.

We're stocking up on seeds, just in case...

·
®
3,209 Posts
i'm lagging behind this year. i wasn't able to start seeds indoors, so i'll have to either buy starts of tomatoes and peppers, or have a direct-seeded-only garden this year.

the one thing i've managed to seed outdoors is lettuce; sprouts are up and looking good. i'm in the process of preparing the soil of the main garden area (20'x20'), and adding a few more raised beds. i'll be seeding the corn, cucumber, pumpkin, watermelon, sunflower, squash and beans in a couple of weeks. i'll be re-seeding salad greens all season.

looking forward to a better crop of strawberries this year, and i'm just hoping my blueberry bushes survive the season after a tragic near-death experience they had last fall.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
My 10' x 13' concrete “yard” I gave up on a couple years ago for growing any vegetables. Sure, I had plenty of raised planting boxes, but the problem is that the multi-level nature of the townhouses prohibit the required amount of sunlight to get to the plants. So, out of 13 tomato plants in 2006 I think the yield was a whopping two pounds of tomatoes. So, clearly everyone can see the frustration. Cannot wait to dump this sh¡thole and get a real house with a yard.

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
I am not a dirtdigger, but my father and brother love their big gardens. My brother is planting a football field this year( I am not kidding). This is his first year on his farm and he is going way overboard.

I just stop by my Dad's house and get whatever I want. I have been eating a lot of asparagus lately.

I am a bees and trees kind of guy.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
We have a 10' x 12' patch of dirt. It grows... nothing. Even though our backyard faces south, between the shade fromthe fence and trees we don't get enough sun to grow anything. We tried 2 years in a row and produced nothing.

It's to the point now it needs to be turned into grass or a brick patio put on top of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.