Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I would post these to get the ball rolling. All Three tours were by my dad, although me and a brother were along for the first three days of '03 tour.

This first one was from Detroit MI. to Chicago IL. for one of his friends weddings, they are also avid bikers and often participate in Critical mass rallies there. The tour.

This next one was from Detroit to Frankfort MI. Total distance was about 340 Miles in 7 days, although the first three were only about 85-90 total. My and my little brother accompanied my dad on this one for the first three days and made it a total of 90 miles. I broke three spokes on wash boarded roads and so the second day was spent waiting around the camp ground while dad went into town to get the wheel repaired. The third day we rode 25 miles to Honor MI. where I asked if we could call for my mom to come and pick me up, little brother decided to do the same. We met him up Frankfort for a week long Family Vacation with some great rail to trails riding. The Tour.

Finally my dads biggest tour, solo from Portland OR. to San Francisco CA. He had taken a bump on a flight earlier in the year and was given a free round trip ticket anywhere in the continental USA. Even though he rode 900 miles in as many days he still had to catch a few ride to make his flight. Some great photo's. TheTour.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Great!

Where in Detroit are you heading out from? Nice pics, I did a tour with my Dad last summer and we loved it! I posted a trip log here C&O Trip. I am looking forward to doing it again this year. We are probable going to ride the same trail but we will allow longer and take some sidetrips. Also I believe 1 of my brothers and my nephew may be joining us this time.
Thanks for sharing, there are a lot of fantastic pics in those collections, I like the misty islands and the lighthouse pics.

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The East side Near St. Johns. My dad uses the one of his bike in front of the Tree as his Desktop picture.

Looked through your thread, good stuff, although you never mention which State you're in, just the C&O trail and can't for the life of me think of where that is.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Durandal said:
The East side Near St. Johns. My dad uses the one of his bike in front of the Tree as his Desktop picture.

Looked through your thread, good stuff, although you never mention which State you're in, just the C&O trail and can't for the life of me think of where that is.
LOL, it is the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal but only made it from Cumberland MD to Washington DC before the railroad killed it. Very nice about 185 miles, some parts better then others but overall a wonderful trip.

My folks are from Mich. Ionia and Detroit. I went to U0fD for a few years. How is riding up there? I have never ridden there only driven. I remember this one road we used to take to my aunt's house, the rollers seemed to go on forever; someday I'm gonna ride that road.

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're Okay, I normally only ride away from detroit, but even still there's plenty of potholes and glass, my dad commutes down town and averages a flat every other week.

When you do ride up here, bring a patch kit.

·
170 Posts
Funny!

"even God rested 1 day out of 7."

I do love to hear the touring stories, since I plan on going cross country as soon as my pool of excuses dries up.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
I like the artsy shot! Two of my most memorable rides have been on old borrrowed or rented bikes, both much worse than what you rode. I'll take a great route and a so-so bike over a so-so route and a great bike any day.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Bluesref said:
OK I'm game!

Here is a travel log of sorts with links to some Photos. My first tour through the Green and White moutains of Vermont and New Hampshire. August 2005

Borrowed bike and all

http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~jconroy/BikeTour.html
That was great, I really like your dry sense of humor. My favorite line was as follows.
"Don had said I would be a different cyclist after the trip. I didn't think he meant an "outlaw biker". "
Great pictures as well, thanks for sharing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts