Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so what are folks riding to work/school/etc. is it the same ride for all rides or specifically to commute and tool around town on?

this is my moto fixie. usually only use to commute and get around town on.

·
Registered
426 Posts
moschika said:
so what are folks riding to work/school/etc. is it the same ride for all rides or specifically to commute and tool around town on?

No pictures to show.
I ride my Jamis Ventura for everything during nice weather.Old Fuji and mtn. bike for everything else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine!

Didn't ride this morning, too wet & will rain all-day...
Usually ride every morning tho, here's a pic from few weeks ago's RoadRide:

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
3 that I use.

The last is a Raliegh M600 hardtail mtb. 1st is an old Gitane that I converted into a cross bike. I occassionally use my ss/fixie, but I'm working on it right now and I don't have a good pic:( The other one is an old Nishiki w/ Tange prestige 2 steel tubing. I call it my "g*y-boy bike", for obvious reasons. I put my old Mavic Mektronic shifters on it since they were just taking up space. It usually doesn't have a Ksyrium on the rear but the open pro that I have needs to be trued, BADLY, so I have my "good" wheel on it now. It will soon get fenders mounted, as well.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Here's mine...

The "Utilitarian" ride.

Surly Cross-Check w/ flip-flop rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
All my bikes are commuters at one time or another.

I mostly commute on my Gunnar Street Dog or my Bianchi 'Crosser. Both have fenders as needed. A waist pack or messenger bag carries everything I need for work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just finished it...

moschika said:

My new commuter/townie/all-arounder.

Been working from home but we start working from our company's new office on Monday. I'll have a 24 mi. r/t commute.

It's not quite finished as I still have to build a front wheel. That wheel is off my geared road bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My new commuter ride

My new commuter ride is a Langster. My first factory singlespeed. It's got a flip flop hub and I'm looking into getting a cog for the fixed side. My knees suck so I'd have to keep the brakes. Check it out. (48t x 16t)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice.

Sketchy One said:
My new commuter ride is a Langster. My first factory singlespeed. It's got a flip flop hub and I'm looking into getting a cog for the fixed side. My knees suck so I'd have to keep the brakes. Check it out. (48t x 16t)
Wow, that's a big gear. Your commute pretty flat?

My first build was a 42x13 (3.23:1) which is pretty close to a 48x16 (3:1). I commuted 10 miles on it, but was a lot more comfortable on hills (and starting out from stoplights) after I geared down to a 42x16.

-Trevor

·
Registered
28 Posts
TrevorInSoCal said:
Wow, that's a big gear. Your commute pretty flat?

My first build was a 42x13 (3.23:1) which is pretty close to a 48x16 (3:1). I commuted 10 miles on it, but was a lot more comfortable on hills (and starting out from stoplights) after I geared down to a 42x16.

-Trevor
That's pretty much why I got it, nothing but flat land riding. I'm just now getting used to it. It's only two weeks old, but I do like the ratio for the stop and go in Chicago. My commute is 8 miles through the city. The biggest hill is about a 1/4 mile long and slight grade, nothing major. One of the mechanics at my shop has a fixed gear and told me to go to a 17t on the fixed side. Little easier on the knees. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
hey sketchyone, where did you get your langster? its sounding really good right now, especially with the price. im going to my lbs this saturday to inquire about getting one. my lbs is johnny sprockets up on bryn mawr. i stopped by yojimbos today, but all they had was a fuji, and it was gonna be about 300 more than what sprockets is probably gonna hook me up with.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sketchy One said:
The biggest hill is about a 1/4 mile long and slight grade, nothing major. One of the mechanics at my shop has a fixed gear and told me to go to a 17t on the fixed side. Little easier on the knees. Any suggestions?
I dunno. I haven't been riding fixed long enough to determine if it's gonna cause me any knee problems. I figured I'd play it safe though, and go with an easier gear. Kinda limits your speed on downhills, but I'd rather have to drag the brakes a bit and/or develop a faster spin, than kill myself (and my knees) grinding *uphill*.

Probably mostly a personal preference thing. Try a couple different ratios and stick with what works. Sounds like you may have found one that works for you...

Can you skid that gear? I had a lot harder time skidding the higher gear.

-Trevor

·
Registered
50 Posts
My commuter/road/off-road ride. I usually avoid riding this one through the winter but I have to fix the rear der on my winter bike (an older Giant rigid mtb, currently with studded tires) so I have been riding this one for the last week. Yesterday brought a return to winter with cold & snow so it gave me a good photo op.

Cheers,
Bryan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Kozy's Cyclery

chicagochix said:
hey sketchyone, where did you get your langster? its sounding really good right now, especially with the price. im going to my lbs this saturday to inquire about getting one. my lbs is johnny sprockets up on bryn mawr. i stopped by yojimbos today, but all they had was a fuji, and it was gonna be about 300 more than what sprockets is probably gonna hook me up with.
I got my Langster from the shop that I work at, so I got the EP price which made it even sweeter! Come by Kozy's at Webster and Clybourn. That's my shop. I'm there Sun., Mon., Wed. and Thurs. I know that except for the 50cm I can get you one for $399 + tax. My name is Ryan just in case you do decide to swing by.
Happy Hunting.

P.S. It would have to be special ordered so expect, at the most, 7 - 10 business days.
(It usually comes much sooner than that). Mine was shipped on a Thursday and I got it that next Tuesday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ryan,

I'm also from the Chicago area (southwest suburbs) and I changed my Langster freewheel to an 18T fixed cog. I rode with the stock 16T freewheel for about 100 miles (not in a single ride) and found it's a bit steep, not so much for hills but riding against the wind. I don't use the Langster to commute but to ride short training rides of 20-25 miles on a fairly flat route.

LuisB

·
Registered
577 Posts
Old Trek Crossbreed

I think this is a 970 Frame from 1991-92. Built with older XT and V-Brakes for easier fitting of rack and stopping power with heavy load. It was nice to find an older frame that had dual eyelets in the back for rack and fender mounting (if I ever move back to the NW). Conti tires with Mr. Tuffy's have been indestructable. Thinking about going to Powerstraps instead of the toe-clips. Size 14 feet makes it hard to get your shoe in far enough to not feel like you're riding on your toes all the time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
MBK Touring Bike

moschika said:

1989 MBK Touring with upgrades:
Ultegra 9 sp (13 - 28) & STI shifters
Shimano 105 hubs laced to MA3 rims, 32H, 3X, 28 mm tires

It's not light (~32 lbs); you can see front and rear fenders and racks. You may not be able to see the bottle generator and front light, not to mention the 2 legged kickstand which supports the bike upright with one wheel off the ground.

I have a shower but no locker at work so must carry a towel, etc. as well as clothes. In the Winter, the pannier bags are full, especially in the p.m. when it's usually warmer and I'm carrying instead of wearing layers.

My commute starts in the car and switches to the bike. The bike portion can be 8 to 16 miles and is usually 10 miles each way. I don't ride when rain is forecast.

Not too long ago, I posted a Commute Report - my first RBR ride report with photos. It was a fun project.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=3482&highlight=commute+report

·
Registered
353 Posts
RUSA2392 said:
1989 MBK Touring with upgrades:
Ultegra 9 sp (13 - 28) & STI shifters
Shimano 105 hubs laced to MA3 rims, 32H, 3X, 28 mm tires
Not too long ago, I posted a Commute Report - my first RBR ride report with photos. It was a fun project.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=3482&highlight=commute+report
Great report & loved the pics!
My old bike was a 1988 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, stock. It is a heavy bike & at one point a few yrs back, I did think about upgrading but when I got to my LBS, they talked me out of it. Good thing too.
I took it out for a spin a few nights ago. Nearly topple over as I got used to riding my newer rig that I can't seem to get comfortable on the old bike.

·
Endorphin Junkie
203 Posts
I recently got the okay from the doc to resume road riding, but I still felt like I wanted some more cushion for my still-healing wrist. So, I put road bars and slicks on my hardtail. It will eventually get its mtbike bar back and be used for commuting and crappy-road riding, but right now, it's my road bike. I christened it "The Oddvaark" because it is a mishmash of semi-compatible parts and appears to have an identity crisis. It works okay, but really needs some bigger gears. A new crank is in the works.

Kathy :^)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.