Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a LOT of really f****** nice bikes here. Nothing wrong with that. But I'd like to see pictures of bikes that are your main ride that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Pictures preferred, descriptions OK too. Let us know what you paid. Purchased new or used is fine.

If your main ride is inexpensive but you have a more expensive bike that you don't ride as much I'm not interested in hearing from you(I fall into that category).

thanks

p.s. the cheaper the better!

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good question. whatever the lowest priced model from a mainstream bigger company starts at. i haven't priced bikes in years but I'll take a stab - $420. But cheaper is better. I believe there's groups below 105 that would still be considered adequate for beginner racers. That's what I'm interested in.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
What if my main ride....only real ride....is expensive? There's a beater mtn. bike that I ride occasionally on campus (2 days a week). So what do I do? My expensive ride is my main ride? I put 200+ miles on it a week, compared to 4 miles a week on the beater.

What's the cutoff for expensive? My frame cost less than a Serotta Meivici, a Litespeed Ghisallo, less than that ugly-azz new CF Seven, less than a Parlee......so mine isn't expensive, right?

What if the frame is expensive but the components are cheap? Do you have to put black tape over the frame? What if the frame is cheap but the components are expensive? Do you have to Photoshop out the components?

I'm confused by the requirements here.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I have picked up a couple of very inexpensive bikes and so have a bunch of fellow RBR's. Here is a similar thread I started about a month ago.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=49687

Anyway, I have a couple of new additions to the family. The first is a Schwinn I just got on Wednesday. It was "stealthed" out by a previous owner, but I am 99% sure it is a 1988 Schwinn Circuit. This was one of Schwinn's higher end models that used Columbus steel and came in about 21 lbs. It has a full Shimano 600 group, sans a replaced crankset (with a Specialized one) and replaced hubs. It fits me perfectly, rides great, and the rims are true. I probably could have hardballed him for a better deal, but the guy had it on eBay and I had to give him $100 for it to end the auction early (there weren't any bidders yet). I was already at his house, so I didn't want to have to make a 2nd trip if I had won the auction either.

I already had the Look pedals and black water bottle holders, so I stuck them on.

I think it may be a contender for a single speed project down the road. :)

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
The second addition was a 1990 Specialized Sirrus that came with the original mint condition Shimano 105 group, a Specialized Cyclometer, a spare tire, as well as some spare Look pedals and a pair of shoes that fit me for $230. It looks like someone road it twice and put it away. I have not been able to find one scratch in the paint.

PLEASE note that the Sirrus now has some silver SPD pedals on it now. I know how ugly the Looks are on it, but I had try them out :D

So here is a summary of my fleet (minus my Lemond), where I found it, how much I paid, and there possible future.

1.) 198? Schwinn 9(five) Mtn. Bike - $0 - my brother - its a keeper (gotta have the option)
2.) 1988 Schwinn World - $20 - Pawn Shop (w/Murray) - about to be sold
3.) 198? Murray Sebring - $30 - Pawn Shop (w/Schwinn) - outfitted with a child seat
4.) 1990 Specialized Sirrus - $230 - eBay (local seller, no shipping) - shared regular duty,
5.) 1988 Schwinn Circuit - $100 - eBay (local seller, no shipping) - single speed or tri set up

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not a road bike, but nonetheless, less than $420

Friction_Shifter said:
good question. whatever the lowest priced model from a mainstream bigger company starts at. i haven't priced bikes in years but I'll take a stab - $420. But cheaper is better. I believe there's groups below 105 that would still be considered adequate for beginner racers. That's what I'm interested in.
I picked up this beauty last year for $400. It's an 01 Klein Attitude, and it's in great shape as you can see from the pic. I changed the stock tires with my used Panaracer Fire XCs that I had lying around and put in thomson seatpost that I was able to get used from ebay for $20.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts

ride this more than my pinarello, cannondale, or giant.

bought it used for about 60€

the reason why? well, i wouldn't want to lock the other 3 up on the street :)

Friction_Shifter said:
I'd like to see pictures of bikes that are your main ride that didn't cost an arm and a leg.Pictures preferred, descriptions OK too. Let us know what you paid. Purchased new or used is fine.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Tsunami

$105 frame. Parts cobbled together from my basement, EBAY and one purchase from Excelsports. This is a great bike. I've ridden it for a few centuries, on wet days, early season when I'm over my target weight. The picture includes my daughter when she was 11 years old.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
The Beast

This is my first bike purchase off ebay for myself and is what first got me into to group road riding.

She stills sees a fair amount of riding.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
One like this. It really belongs to my woman, but I ride it more as she has gotten to dislike it.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
What kinda cranks are those?

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
What kinda cranks are those?
180 BMX Cranks by an old company out of California (I think) called "JAD".

I was told by the seller and some folks at a LBS that they were very nice in their day.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
why do you call it that? is there something you don't like about it? looks like a fine ride to me. i've got a thread over on cannondale regarding the various aluminum-only models cdale has made over the years. i'm curious how the ride has changed. my theory is more-pansy-less-efficient (ie more comfy ride like steel bike (but not that comfy) minus the (not so heavy these days for a top of the line)wt of a steel bike). i'm in the process of building up my 2nd cdale (a 1990 3.0 - 1st is an 85 original model frame)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It's mainly just a pun. The frame is pretty decent and is very easy/stable to ride. It's also quite good for an all day ride, doesn't feel harsh to me. The biggest flaw is the rather low torsional or head tube stiffness. It's a matter of taste, but I prefer something that's stiffer and more responsive. The modern Cannondale doesn't feel like a rocket anymore.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
Really cheap but a very nice ride. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'
The Sea Monkey Sandwich (originally a mid level Japanese racer). Shimano 600 and other assorted stuff. It rides and handles great, and I don't have to worry much about it attracting undue thief attention.

·
Registered
611 Posts
$1100 for an Ultegra10 bike is pretty inexpensive, no?

This one was $5 at a yard sale. Not my main ride, but has about $80 into it so far.

Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
Seamus said:
This one was $5 at a yard sale. Not my main ride, but has about $80 into it so far.

Jim
That Schwinn looks really nice. I have an early 80s Schwinn in my dad's garage...probably quite rusted. I need to think about getting that out of the garage and see what I can do about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts