Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Compulsive bike builder
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have to get updated pics of my tcr composite, which weighs in at 14.5 lbs. Lots of lighter bikes out there, I know!

·
Registered
14 Posts
15.1 lb Merlin

Pre-Litespeed Merlin Road frame, Look HSC3 carbon/carbon fork, American Classic Carbon tubulars, Tufo S3 Lites, King HS, Record/Chorus mix, Cinelli Integralter bars/stem, Speedplay pedals, Dean ti post, SLR saddle. 15 pounds 1 ounce. I know, I could lose another half a pound with a lighter bar/stem combo, but this one's super comfortable and hella cool.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is my first weight weenie road bike... and it's a heavy frame and fork to start off with... Large 2003 Giant TCR Aero framest. Frame fork and headset weighed in at 4.5 lbs before build up. So I know I can loose some weight there. Also the bike is 99% Ultegra with exception of DA cassette and a 105 bottom bracket. My next steps are a FSA Carbon Crank and hopefully a AC ISIS bottom bracket (or I'll get the Octalink version and a DA bottom bracket), a Deda seatpost, and new brake/shifter housing.

Current set up is 17lbs 13 oz....... Not to bad to start - My only goal is to break the 16 lb barrier.

Later
FF

·
Registered
220 Posts
Oclv

Here's mine. 15.2 pounds (real weight, not added up in Excel from fantasy component weights) as pictured including cages, computer and pedals.

Highlights include: Minoura dura-cage bottle cages, FSA Pro Team Issue cranks, THE stem, EC90 bars, Alien seatpost, 2003 Zipp 404 tubulars, Veloflex Servizio Corse tires, Bontrager titanium skewers. Size 58cm frame.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is my excel sheet. It is not fantasy, I'm just patiently waiting.

I weigh 220 lbs. so I couldn't go super light, but I'm pretty happy with 13.2 including pedals. Bike should be finished in two weeks.

Weight

Storck Scenario 1.1 59 Frame with all stock screws and bolts 1272

Storck Stiletto Fork - Carbon - Cut 306

Zero Gravity Brakes 188
Campagnolo Record 10spd 04 Ultra Shifters 324
Storck Crank/FRM Rings and Silver Bolts Cranks 450
Spada Scandium BB 118
Campagnolo Record 10spd 04 Front Deraileur 69
Spada Cassette 11-25 110
Spada Lockring 0
Campagnolo Record 10spd Short Cage 04 Rear Derailleir 184
Campy Hollow Pin 04 Ultra Record Chain 259
Deda Forza 31.8 120 mm 113
Storck Ergo Carbon 31.8 44 220
Cinelli Solid Cork Bar Tape 15
Storck Headset 68
Record Cables 0
Nokon Housing Brake and Shifters - Silver 100
Record Seatpost 31.6mm 280mm - Cut 205
Speedneedle Marathon 109
Continental Grand Prix Supersonic (K) Tires 20mm 280
Continental Supersonic Tubes 102
Spada Carbon Aluminum Clinchers 1440
Aluminum/Carbon Bolts Screws For Bottle Cages/FD/RD Cage -40
Storck Carbon Headset Cap and Spacers -45
Schmolke Carbon Bar Ends -10
BTP Carbon Ergo Clamps -18
Pedals Aerolite 62
Bottle Cages BTP 30
Velox Cloth Rim Tape Cloth 10
FRM Skewers 74

Kg 5.995
Lbs 13.189

·
Registered
25 Posts
Actually did some last minute changes, I don't think it will be exactly this weight but at worst it shouldn't be off by more than 100-150 grams, so call it 13 lbs. which still ain't bad. All the weights are actual, I got most of them from weightweenies.starbike.com. I know the guys that provided the majority of the weights, and I trust them.

Here is my final build, half the stuff is in, just patiently waiting now.

Weight

Storck Scenario 1.1 59 Frame with all stock screws and bolts 1272

Storck Stiletto Fork - Carbon - Cut 306

Zero Gravity Brakes 188
Campagnolo Record 10spd 04 Ultra Shifters 324
Storck Crank/FRM Rings and Silver Bolts Cranks/53/39 Chain Rings 450
Spada Scandium BB ISIS 118
Campagnolo Record 10spd 04 Front Deraileur 69
Spada Cassette 11-25 100
Spada Lockring 10
Campagnolo Record 10spd Short Cage 04 Rear Derailleir 184
Campy Hollow Pin 04 Ultra Record Chain 259
FSA K-Force Stem 165
FSA K-Wing Carbon Stem 280
Cinelli Solid Cork Bar Tape 40
Storck Headset 68
Nokon Housing & CablesBrake and Shifters - Silver 120
FSA K-Force Light Seatpost 31.6mm 280mm - Cut 185
Tune Speedneedle Marathon Seat 109
Tufo <160 Tires 20mm 320
Tufo Tire Tape Tape& Sealant 60
Spada Carbonio Aero Tubulars 1094
Aluminum/Titanium Bolts Screws For Bottle Cages/FD/RD Cage -30
Storck Carbon Headset Cap and Spacers -35
BTP Carbon Ergo Clamps -18
Pedals Aerolite 62
Bottle Cages Record 36
Velox Cloth Rim Tape Cloth 0
FRM Skewers 74

Kg 5.81
Lbs 12.782

·
Registered
15 Posts
Frame: Orbea/Orca 54cm
Fork: Zeus FCM Team
Bottom Bracket: Integrated 7800 Dura Ace
Cranks: 7800 Dura Ace 175mm
Chainrings: 7800 Dura Ace Hollowtech II 39/53
Pedals: 7800 Dura Ace
Front Derailleur: 7800 Dura Ace
Chain: 7800 Dura Ace
Rear Derailleur: 7800 Dura Ace
Cogset: 7800 Dura Ace 12/25
Hubs: Bontrager XXX lite (Swiss)
Skewers: Bontrager XXX lite (Titanium)
Spokes: Bontrager Bladed
Rims: Bontrager XXX lite
Tires: Tufo Tubular
Brakes: 7800 Dura Ace
Seatpost: Deda Black Stick
Saddle: Selle San Marcos ASPide Carbon
Headset: FSA
Stem: Stella Azurra Vica Versa 90mm
Handlebars: Deda Spectrum Carbon
Shifters: 7800 Dura Ace
Brake Levers: 7800 Dura Ace
Bar Tape: Stella Azurra Black
Extras: Carbon Bottle Holders with Titanium Bolts, and Mavic Win Tech Wireless Computer with Cadence and Euskaltel décor

Weight: 6825 grams

·
Man, I need a shower !
156 Posts
morrisond said:
Here is my excel sheet. It is not fantasy, I'm just patiently waiting.

I weigh 220 lbs. so I couldn't go super light, but I'm pretty happy with 13.2 including pedals. Bike should be finished in two weeks.
Lbs 13.189
I'm really curious...if this bike supposedly weighs 13.2 lbs, just what do you consider
"super light"? This must be your first attempt at building a bike while watching the scale. The point about "excel spreadshee" is exactly what you've done. The sum of all the parts on paper will NOT equal the FINAL weight. It's all fantasy until it's put together. It's new math or something, it just never works out like that. No one in their right mind tries to build a 13lb bike for a 220lb rider. Those guys at weightweenies.com (or whatever it is) are itty-bitty guys. If you look in the mirror you will find that you are NOT

OK, next point. Let us know after a few 1k miles how your bike is holding together. Some of these bits would crumble under a T. Hamilton. Since you equal close to 2 Hamilton's I would be scared to death if I were you to ride this thing.

Finally, this has to be a joke - right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
A lot of the guys at weenies aren't itty bitty guys. I've done a Ton of research on all these parts(about 200 emails) and I'm satisfied that it will hold up. Storck rates the Frame and Fork and cranks at up to 120 kilos(260lbs.) they are also TUV tested for strengh. The saddle comes from another German company - Tune who say no problem for my weight on the saddle, I've had the FSA Handlebars on my crossbike for a few weeks now it's very strong and doesn't flex, I'm actually going to put a Schmolke Carbon bar on the Storck, custom made for my weight and able to take Aero Extensions at only 175 grams gauranteed weight. I'll probably use a Deda Newton 26.0 stem with this(I've used the Newton 31.6 for thousands of Kilometers on my other bikes with no problems. Spada rates the crank and wheels at up to 240 lbs.. I think Keith Boontrager made the famous quote that bike parts are a compromise of three things and you can't have all three. Strength, light weight and cheap. The parts I'm using are strong, light weight but definitely not cheap.

There is a guy in California I've been chatting with a lot and he is building a Scenario 0.9 (150 grams lighter) with a Stiletto light fork(40 grams lighter). He has a ton of experience with light weight parts and his bike should come in at about 11 lbs..

Do I think my bike will be exactly 12.78 lbs.(actually works out to 12.52 with the final parts I will be using), No, but I expect it to be within .25lbs. All the parts weights I'm using are actual not manufacturers Verified by independant sources). The only thing I have any concern about breaking is the BTP Carbon Ergo Clamps. I know I will wear things like the cassettes and chainrings out quickly, but I will only use those wheels on smooth country roads. I have some heavier clincher wheels for bad surfaces and around the city.

What parts on this bike would you be concerned about? I've talked to the manufacturers of all the parts who will have to replace them if they fail and they have no issue with my weight.

·
Man, I need a shower !
156 Posts
You've certainly done your research so I hope you get correspondingly good ride. I think my personal experiences tainted my hopes for such things with us bigger guys. I never talked to any larger guys at "weight weenies" - the ones I did were in the range of 130-155 lbs.

When I built my first serious light FS mtn bike I had all kinds of problems (at the time I was about 195-200lbs): broke teeth off the chainring, snapped ring bolts, the fork was so squirrely/noodling that it was downright scary at speed, light tubes popped at the drop of a hat, snapped a seat post, broke a pedal, saddle rails failed, spokes broke, etc. And, the parts I used were no where near as light as what you're talking about.

This experience really soured me on super light stuff. I originally built that bike to be reasonably light, but didn't use any super light parts. Later decided to take it down another notch. Spend all kinds of money for that crap, and then endured the risks and annoyances of those failures. After a while my confidence as a rider really suffered. I was a super smooth mtn rider too. I didn't feel these parts failed because of a careless or abusive riding style, over tightenging bolts, etc. The only difference I could tell between me and others that were having better luck was in our weight. I was at least 33% larger than the next heaviest "weeny" I rode with.

Anyway, please keep us posted. I'm really interested in how your bike comes out, and holds up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Truism: the sum of the parts less than the total

Fast Eddie made the point that the total weight of a light bike seems to always exceed the sum (from the Excel spreadsheet) of the individual parts. Most people advertize the smallest of the two figures. I call this the "weight weenie effect" named after the website that publishes individual component weights and has a few complete bikes on show.
Anyway, I submitted my bike 3 times to that site, got no response each time. I suppose it's because my bike's just not special enough. I can tell you it's the best riding bike I've had in 24 years of riding, and I smile every time I get on it to commute to work. It replaced a Merlin Extralite with DuraAce--a nice bike but nothing on this.

The complete weight is 6.28 Kg (repeated weight, different digital scales.) It's for real. That's about 13lbs 12oz. The secret component though is on the wheels--the Tufo tires are amazingly light and responsive. They sing in the early morning, no bull. Just like my Clements over 20 years ago. I thought myself crazy to return to tubulars, but with sealant, these tires have proven incredibly tough against goatheads (the bane of New Mexicans.) I'm selling my clinchers...
cheers,
phil gandini

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gandini, what Tufo Tires are you running? I haven't had a chance to try mine yet, Tufo Elite Jet<160, do run sealant all the time? What about Tufo Tape.

You can get pretty close with an excel sheet assuming you include all or most of the parts. With temporary parts and training wheels my excel spreadsheet said about 14.2 lbs and that's what the scale said! Here is a pick of the semi complete bike with heavy wheels, bars, stem, seatpost, screws, cables and bar end plugs. I'm replacing them with My Spada Carbonio Aero's 1094 grams, Custom Schmolke bars for my weight 175g, carbon bar plugs and carbon screws, Syntace F99 stem with Ti bolts - 99g, Tune seatpost cut - 175g, and Nokon Cables. This takes close to 2 lbs off the bike. I should have all the parts by this time next week.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's a cool, light bike!

Morrisond: I am running the Tufo S3 Lites, weighing in at 215g actual, but then there's about 25g of sealant (and I've had to add some since I've actually had punctures and used some of the sealant as well as it dries in the tire.) The Tufo rim strips are very easy to use, and get lighter as time goes by, because the glue squeezes out as you ride! But you eventually have to replace them, about 6-9months so I was told. All in all, though, the Tufos are the best tire Ive ever ridden, especially with their ability to seal punctures--incomparable.
Your Stork is a very fancy bike--my Giant is quite pedestrian by comparison. I added 80g with the Cinelli bars, but couldn't resist the look and feel--very special, but heavy at 420g. My only compromise to weight was the AC alloy cluster--it's unbelievably light at 127g, but I will have to replace the 14/15/16 cogs within the year as I use them exclusively on my commute. The rest of the parts actually perform as well as any DuraAce or other part I've ever had on a bike, and this bike doesn't creak, or squeek, or flex, or anything...it just rides like the wind. Of course, for all those doubters, I still get blown away by guys on Huffys...duh, I'm 47, I have no pride and I don't give a shite.

cheers,
gandini

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gandini, I wanted to run the Cinelli's but they said they weren't strong enough for me and I wanted to run the ability to run Aerobars, so I ordered Scmolke Bars(175 g) and Aerobars(only about 225g including armrests!). Those are beautiful bars though.

I have no creaks yet, everything is holding up fine. I'm 34 and ride for myself, I enjoy the technical side as much as riding, although I'm going to try some TT's later this summer. The way I look at it is I might get passed but at least with this bike I may not get beat as bad as on a heavy bike, especially going up hill!

·
Lurker
44 Posts
A few things to consider Mr morrisond...

Actually some dude posted a question ~6 months ago along similar lines, I put the specs of my bike up and got hammered for it. :-(

Mine is a Kestrel 500EMS...I won't go into all the parts. Suffice it to say that it's UCI illegal, even with cinelli spinachi lights on board.

morrisond, what you don't realise (yet) is that when you put a whole bunch of lightweight parts from all over the world together, they often end up being very temperamental when they become a complete bike. You'll see.

Some words of friendly advice:
-at your weight, give the carbon clamps up, they don't look very strong.
-the telltale sign of "stupid light" is an alloy cassette. Why would you pay so much money on something that won't last more than a few thousand miles (if you're lucky)?
-do you realise that B-T-P cages don't work with any bottles other than those special tapered taxc ones? Even then, they didn't like half of my taxc bottles.

This is when you realise your obsession has gone to far: when your bike starts getting finicky over what bottles you can use.

When you ride your dream bike you become so fussed that someone's gonna steal it... you'll never ride in the rain. You won't even ride if it looks overcast. And that's a shame.

You'll feel like a schmuck. You'll feel absolutely silly if someone asks what it costs. I doubt you'd even tell them. Unless you're the type to brag, in which case you're about to make a big mistake.
Remember: your dreams can become your nightmares!!.
I now do most of my riding on a bike ~1/4 the price of the kestrel. I just feel more at home on it. Being a Mrazek, it still gets looks, but I don't feel guilty riding it.
The levers & RD are centaur, alloy fork, and the only thing that is made of Ti are four leftover bottle scews. What can I say? I think I'm cured of this disease fellas!

Fast Eddie is right. You should listen to people that have been there.

BTW, rclements16 that is one DAMN nice frame & bike you got there! Never even seen/heard of it before.

Pity about spoiling it with those monster-metal DA cranks though
Seriously man, that's beautiful bike, without going overboard.

Now why can't we have smilies like these???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Synchronicity, I'm only using the alloy cassette on my special carbon tubs, which I probably will only put a thousand or two miles on per year, if it only lasts a year, so be it. I use the ambrosio's pictured on the bike for my everyday wheels with a full steel Centaur Cassette. You might be right with the BTP clamps. I'm using Record Bottle cages, which work great with standard bottles.

This is my nice day bike, I will not ride it in the rain, I have C-dale Cyclocross Disc for the rain and when it's crappy out. I live in Toronto and would fret about even a cheap road bike being stolen if it was unattended, there is no way I would ever leave this bike alone. I take it out of my basement go for a ride and put a back, plus it's fully insured. In terms of cost I actually consider it cheap compared to my previous obsessions of cars and snowmobiles. I used to modify my snowmobiles and one blow up used to cost me 25% of the total cost of this bike(and when modifying I used to break it a few times every winter). To each their own.

·
Lurker
44 Posts
morrisond said:
Synchronicity, I'm only using the alloy cassette on my special carbon tubs, which I probably will only put a thousand or two miles on per year, if it only lasts a year, so be it. I use the ambrosio's pictured on the bike for my everyday wheels with a full steel Centaur Cassette. You might be right with the BTP clamps. I'm using Record Bottle cages, which work great with standard bottles.

This is my nice day bike, I will not ride it in the rain, I have C-dale Cyclocross Disc for the rain and when it's crappy out. I live in Toronto and would fret about even a cheap road bike being stolen if it was unattended, there is no way I would ever leave this bike alone. I take it out of my basement go for a ride and put a back, plus it's fully insured. In terms of cost I actually consider it cheap compared to my previous obsessions of cars and snowmobiles. I used to modify my snowmobiles and one blow up used to cost me 25% of the total cost of this bike(and when modifying I used to break it a few times every winter). To each their own.
Actually, silly me... I didn't realise that was your bike pictured there until only yesterday. I come from a forum where you sometimes have to jump on the thread instantly to take part in the discussion before it's over.

IMHO, I think the record cages are just too expensive. Having said that, the much cheaper B-T-P cages I bought weren't really made all that well. There were voids in them, and it's like they hadn't even been finished properly. The carbon fibre "strips" weren't even parallel. I expect better.

Nice to see you can afford to insure it... I think mine is covered under the house contents as my dad mentioned how much it cost to them... I'm not a fan of insurance. My insurance is simply a kryptonite anchor bolted to the wall and an armoured cable lock. This is more to reduce the tendancy for any would-be impulsive thief to simply take off with it, if ever my dad happened to leave the door open.

Ahh well the money is certainly better spent on cycling gear than cars and snowmobiles... but if you wanna go fast, just buy a cheap sports motorcycle. It'll blow the doors off any car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.