Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Here is a picture of my Jamis Nova Race ... works great as a winter bike, though is a little heavy :blush2:

I have changed the saddle, rear fender (to a full length fender) and lowered the stem with a "Slam that stem" top cap.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
My four-seasons, all-conditions commuter, a 2006 Trek Portland. The photo's from a couple of years ago. New wheels (with dyno hub up front), rotors and fenders since then, but...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Here's a picture of my Cyfac steel bike. I have since put a trunk bag on the rack. It's my winter ride. I do need to get a little slotted extension thing-a-ma-bob in order to lower the front fender to the correct height. But it does work quite well where it currently sits.

View attachment 272017

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Wookiebiker- do you like the discs much better for the winters in Portland?
I like them a lot better, though they do squeal a lot in the rain ... not so much when dry.

I like not having to worry about rims being worn down, changing pads every 4 - 5 rides and in instances like last week when I broke a spoke ... I was able to keep riding with no adjustments needed.

Actually having brakes that stop in in the rain is just extra bonus :)

The others I was riding with today were complaining on some of the downhills about how long it took for their brakes to engage in the rain/snow (yea, we hit some good snow out near Banks today) ... while my brakes were basically, instant engagement.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
What dyno hub and light did you get, and what are your thoughts about them?
Shimano Alfine DH-S501 hub, Schmidt Edelux headlight, B&M D'toplight XM Plus taillight.

I like them as far as they go. In urban traffic under modern anti-crime streetlights, the Edelux is a little wimpy. It's fine in the suburbs and out in unlit areas. It's not the fault of the light or the hub, per se, but that they're at the limits of what can be accomplished under German law. Despite this being a global economy, all this stuff is made to the constraints of German traffic laws, which seem to assume drivers aren't distracted, and are paying attention, and that Herr Cyclist is content to pootle along at a stately 8-10 MPH.

What I really like is that it's really a no-touch system. Put the Edelux in Senso mode, and its ambient light sensor switches the lights on and off as required. Very nice, especially in underpasses and at this time of year with long deep shadows most of the day.

This is also the true test of whether or not hub drag is discernible. Under 20 or 21 MPH or so, I can't tell the difference when it kicks in and out. Over those speeds, which doesn't happen often on my stop-and-go commute, when it's running the lights, the hub is producing too much juice and the excess is being dumped to ground. I can feel that as a buzzing in the bars. But my legs can't tell the difference.

If it was 50% brighter, I'd be happy. If it was twice as bright I'd be ecstatic. For now, I supplement with battery lights.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I've been reading about hub systems but I haven't seen any mentioin of brightness till your response. Do you know of any other lighting systems that work with the hubs that offer more light?
I'm impressed with your impression of the light drag. How does the feel of the hub compare to a conventional, non-dyno hub?

Thanks

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I've been reading about hub systems but I haven't seen any mentioin of brightness till your response. Do you know of any other lighting systems that work with the hubs that offer more light?
I'm impressed with your impression of the light drag. How does the feel of the hub compare to a conventional, non-dyno hub?

Thanks
Supernova E3 Triple. 800 lumens

Supernova E3 TRIPLE

If you want more lumens, you're in DIY territory. Then again, DIY is cheaper.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Just got this in October. Only have about 500 miles on it so far. Really liking the no maintenance drive train.
Is that a special order? I haven't seen it on their website. I'm thinking of getting a Davidson Ti with discs for the wife someday. Don't think I'd get her a full on CX disc frame, but more of a road/gravel disc frame for her.

Is yours a true single speed or can you put a d-hangar on it? 135mm spacing?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Is that a special order? I haven't seen it on their website. I'm thinking of getting a Davidson Ti with discs for the wife someday. Don't think I'd get her a full on CX disc frame, but more of a road/gravel disc frame for her.

Is yours a true single speed or can you put a d-hangar on it? 135mm spacing?
Looks like no hanger, eccentric bb, rohloff, and rohloff comes in 135mm spacing.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Looks like no hanger, eccentric bb, rohloff, and rohloff comes in 135mm spacing.
Good eye bubbles! i should have looked closer. So I'm assuming that is a fully automated transmission. Don;t know much about of eccentric bb and rohloffs.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Supernova E3 Triple. 800 lumens

Supernova E3 TRIPLE

If you want more lumens, you're in DIY territory. Then again, DIY is cheaper.
Thanks for the input.
You too B2

Are either of you using one of their hubs, and do you need to match their light to their hub?

It looks like Supernova goes up to 2200 lumens. What's that, like mounting the sun on the bike.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Nothing special. I just ride my Salsa Chili Con Crosso in the winter. No fenders/racks, etc. I do run a Serfas True 500 light since it gets dark here in Michigan about 4:45 PM this time of year.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Are either of you using one of their hubs, and do you need to match their light to their hub?
I'm using the Son 28 hub. I didn't really even look at the Supernova hub because they didn't have the 36h hubs that I needed for this build.

I wasn't aware of any dynamo lights brighter than the E3 Triple from Supernova. They do have some battery lights that have more output though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.