Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No.........

mohair_chair said:
I actually like Kwan a lot, but it's hard for me not to be cynical about her trip to the Olympics. She has barely performed at all in the past year, she pulls strings to get on the team, marches in the opening ceremony, then she heroically withdraws.

It seems to me she that the only possible way to get more press coverage is to win the gold, which I think she knew wasn't going to happen (not only is she injured, her skating is not friendly to the new scoring system). Now she is the golden girl who made the ultimate Olympic sacrifice, and naturally, you can expect the endorsements to follow. She managed to turn failure into a huge positive and career boost, and it's hard not to think this whole series of events was calculated.

Am I too cynical?
you're not cynical.......she never should have been there.

Figure skating.....still crooked after all these years!.

Yawn.........it's entertainment, not sport.....judges, hah

Len

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
I actually like Kwan a lot, but it's hard for me not to be cynical about her trip to the Olympics. She has barely performed at all in the past year, she pulls strings to get on the team, marches in the opening ceremony, then she heroically withdraws.

It seems to me she that the only possible way to get more press coverage is to win the gold, which I think she knew wasn't going to happen (not only is she injured, her skating is not friendly to the new scoring system). Now she is the golden girl who made the ultimate Olympic sacrifice, and naturally, you can expect the endorsements to follow. She managed to turn failure into a huge positive and career boost, and it's hard not to think this whole series of events was calculated.

Am I too cynical?

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I recognize the athleticism, but: yaaaaawwwwnnn.

Worst part about football season being over is that figure skating comes on TV.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
mohair_chair said:

Am I too cynical?
That's the definition of cynical. I'm no skating fan and bear little to no knowledge of the sport other than I find it immensely tedious and annoying. That being said, it would seem she's done alot for her sport and if anyone should be allowed to petition for a spot on the Olympic team if she can prove her worth and get one last chance at Olympic gold then that's ok by me. I think most aging athletes would go to their limit for "one last chance". Good for her for recognizing that she couldn't performa and stepping down. All that being said, my reasoning may be the definition of naive. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,477 Posts
mohair_chair said:

Am I too cynical?
I'm not a big fan of figure skating but I think she did the right thing. I'm sure the prospect of humiliating herself on worldwide TV played into her decision but nonetheless, she showed herself to be a true champion and a class act.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
il sogno said:
I'm not a big fan of figure skating but I think she did the right thing. I'm sure the prospect of humiliating herself on worldwide TV played into her decision but nonetheless, she showed herself to be a true champion and a class act.
Ditto!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
wellI'm watching the interview

of the girl who is replacing her. and I notice this beautiful old chinese scrim behind her. girls home is listed as Long Island and I'm just gonna go out on a wing and say "The Hamptons" who else can afford to raise 2 Olympic level skaters?

don't take much interest in the games for the rich (skating,equestrian)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
atpjunkie said:
of the girl who is replacing her. and I notice this beautiful old chinese scrim behind her. girls home is listed as Long Island and I'm just gonna go out on a wing and say "The Hamptons" who else can afford to raise 2 Olympic level skaters?

don't take much interest in the games for the rich (skating,equestrian)
I can't imagine its a cheap sport since most of them have coaches before they're in school, I'm sure her parents upgraded houses since her sister is the Gold medal winner from 2002.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
il sogno said:
The issue wasn't did she do the right thing or did she do it with class. I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees. The issue is how this whole series of events got set in motion in the first place. I can't help but think that this was all planned a while ago, once she realized that her injury would prevent her from making the team and from doing well in Turin.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
chuckice said:
That being said, it would seem she's done alot for her sport and if anyone should be allowed to petition for a spot on the Olympic team if she can prove her worth and get one last chance at Olympic gold then that's ok by me. I think most aging athletes would go to their limit for "one last chance". Good for her for recognizing that she couldn't performa and stepping down. All that being said, my reasoning may be the definition of naive. :)
Interesting. This is exactly what happened to Roenick by Team USA Hockey. Roenick claimed that he should have been part of the team for "all the things I'd done for American hockey" and stated that he would be insulted if left off the team. What does Team USA do? They leave him off the team. I'm not sure how much Kwan has done recently, but Roenick is not the same player he was in Nagano. He is an aging player on the decline of his career, and instead of being gracious like Yzerman and Lemieux and declining spots on Team Canada to give other better players a chance and thinking of the team first, he got cocky.

·
Banned
349 Posts
I like Sarah Hughes

Sarah Hughes . . .

The right skater got the gold medal last time around, because she skated her heart out and didn't "choke" . . . like Kwan.

Kwan looks on . . .

·
Super Moderator
19,477 Posts
mohair_chair said:
I can't help but think that this was all planned a while ago, once she realized that her injury would prevent her from making the team and from doing well in Turin.
My feeling on it is that she prolly hoped the injury would heal up well enough for her to give it a go. You might have a point here though. Realistically speaking the injury would certainly have hampered her try for the gold.

I'm glad for the Hughes girl though and hope she does well.

·
off the back
15,262 Posts
the girl replacing Kwan isn't Sarah Hughes(has she gone pro?), but her younger sister. forget the name.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
kpcw said:
Michele Kwan is a drunk who skates wasted, a loser.

Kidding :rolleyes:

I am not touching this thread with a ten foot poll or pole.
post a poll pic. but not a pole pic. wait, just post something polemic. or from ptolemy.

etc etc and you know.

·
Banned
349 Posts
rufus said:
the girl replacing Kwan isn't Sarah Hughes(has she gone pro?), but her younger sister. forget the name.
Emily Hughes, four years younger than her sister Sarah. Emily was born Jan. 26, 1989.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/5088869/detail.html --

Alternate plans
In January, Long Island native Emily Hughes placed third at the 2006 U.S. Championships, behind Sasha Cohen and Kimmie Meissner, and shortly afterward was named first alternate for the U.S. Olympic team. Michelle Kwan successfully petitioned for a provisional Olympic berth after missing Nationals with a groin injury, and on January 27th she proved to a special panel that she was fit enough to compete in Torino. However, following a rough first practice on Feb. 11, when she realized the injury was still an issue, Kwan withdrew from Olympic competition. On Feb. 12 the U.S. Olympic Committee agreed to allow Hughes to replace Kwan on the U.S. team, and Hughes began making plans to travel to Torino.

USA Today ---

Another Hughes, Emily, looks to be 'going places

PORTLAND, Ore. — The skating order for Thursday's women's short program at the U.S. national figure skating championships begins, appropriately enough, with a Hughes.

It's not Sarah; she's touring with Stars on Ice now, three years removed from winning the Olympic gold medal in Salt Lake City.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts