Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On an earlier etape' on this year's TdF, on a stage that Kittel won, I swear that the fork crown had no caliper, so I'm assuming he was either riding a bike with discs, or else some oddball aero setup with a rear-facing caliper. Does anybody know for certain what I was looking at?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
Kittel won a sprint-stage on a disc bike...but when it came to the mountains, thus far, he's only used rim-brake bikes.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kittel won a sprint-stage on a disc bike...but when it came to the mountains, thus far, he's only used rim-brake bikes.
That's odd. One would think that for a sprint, the lower weight of a rim brake would be what you'd want, and the greater stopping power of a disc would make sense on mountain downgrades. Am I missing something here, or is it all just advertising-driven?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think they have no trouble being at or below the weight limit so no problem going disc. Aren't discs illegal in the regular stages?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
Venge Vias Disc. Quickstep also uses Tarmacs but can't find them using the rim brake Venge this tear.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/gear...ized-venge-vias-disc.html#0rJCb762e6XBRcds.97
Wasn't the Venge disc the initial model done presuming UCI would approve discs full-on....and when the UCI didn't approve them Specialized scrambled and made the rim-brake model that didn't work that well?

I swear I remember reading something about Specialized and a model revision over UCI disc rules.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts