Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you write letters, like in the old timey way of communicating? I was a letter writer, once upon a time, when my wife-to-be lived in another state, a long time ago, and long-distance phone calls cost a few hours wages.

I am a letter writer again these days, because the boy is in Parris Island for basic training. No phone calls, emails, texts, and probably this is a devastating prospect for helicopter parents. We get about a letter a week or so from him, and it seems like the time span from question to answer is somewhere ten days and two weeks.

That's a shocking thing to me now, what with all the instant gratification I've come to expect in communication (hell, I have two phones in my pocket most of the day), but I guess the world got along just fine once upon a time.

Anyhow, there's a lot of joy in writing a note on paper to someone. I find I pay better attention to my day so that I have small things to add in the notes from home. There's even greater joy in finding an envelope in the mailbox that isn't a bill or junk.

I might even keep on writing letters. We'll see.

·
Ironbutt
203 Posts
I write about four or five letters a month, the old fashioned way on good parchment paper with a fountain pen. I write to old friends; we keep in touch with e-mail but still write to one another about once a month on paper. Receiving a letter written on paper tells me that someone cares dearly and is willing to expend the time and effort to stay in touch; more than a quick e-mail will do. I started writing when I was in Vietnam; it was the only way we had to stay in touch with our families then. I never got out of the habit.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
No, I use the more modern Telegraph.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ironbutt said:
... I started writing when I was in Vietnam; it was the only way we had to stay in touch with our families then. I never got out of the habit.
My pop was over there. My mom says it was a whole lot longer than 2 weeks for letters to make the round trip.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I wrote letters a lot in college, and decreasingly for a few years after. I did a flurry of writing to friends when I first moved to DC in 1991. After that, I guess it's been limited almost exclusively to writing to my Granddad, but he died in 1999 and I don't think I've written a single letter since.

Of course, as you may be able to guess from my RBR posts, I tend to write emails as though they were letters anyway, so only the medium has really changed.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I used to correspond with many of my friends, but it was always pretty one-sided. I'd send a letter, they'd call on the phone.

now the only ones that get longhand notes are my parents...I'll send a card and jot a few lines down. if I send a vacation trip report, I'll use a word processor.

everyone else gets email.

·
Dirty. Nerdy. Unemployed.
1,521 Posts
I try and make penpals out of good friends who move away, most of them lose touch though. I've still got one. It's a good way to keep in touch, but the bulk of writing I feel like is just writing to myself rather than engaging another person, but I think that's my fault.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I find nothing beats a hand written letter. So much more personal, so much more effort. It just means more to me to receive a real letter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.